What's It Worth?

Old 02-22-12, 04:36 PM
Question What's It Worth?

For whatever reason my mother left me her dinner ring. Looking for some other stuff I ran across an appraisal sheet for it. Here is what it says:

Lady's 14K white gold dinner ring set with twenty four diamonds weighing approximately two carats. $1,000.00 4/27/72

Any idea what this is worth today?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-12, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
All depends on the age and the quality/maker. Those are really small diamonds. Depends on the cut and quality for value...but not much as individual stones.

14 kt is also pretty far down on the list.

I'd imagine when it was appraised it was for insurance purposes. They almost always inflate jewelery and art by 20-50% since an exact replacement can be hard to find.

Now...if it's from a big name from back in the '30s...could be a whole different story.

Old 02-22-12, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
That was 40 years ago - get a new appraisal.

My mother inherited a ring from an aunt many years ago and even though it looked good, the appraisal was pretty low due to the diamond having what was declared to be an obsolete cut.

Old 02-22-12, 10:45 PM
I agree get it re-appraised but try to find an appraiser who appraises estates especially since this has to do with an estate. When you register the will and pay any taxes it will go easier on you. A great deal of estate appraisers will go through the whole house or apartment or room your mother was living in and then give you a general appraisal. After that they then will answer any questions you have about individual items but will not make a report about those. Of course if you were not the only inheritor then you may be forced to get an individual appraisal. In that case I would call around to jewelry stores and see if they have someone there that can give you an idea as to its worth.

Old 02-23-12, 07:50 AM
She's long gone, died about 15 years ago.

I don't know what to do with the thing, maybe I'll get my nose pierced and hang it there.

Thanks all.

Old 02-23-12, 08:16 AM
Baldwin -

If you even get south to MSP, there are many jewelers that do appraisals and buy. There is a lot of competition and it ranges from the gutter-dwelling gold buyers to top flight jewelers. The competition probably drives the selling price up higher than you would find in your area.

Dick

Old 02-23-12, 11:25 AM
I watch a lot of antique roadshow. One of the things I've learned is never sell to the guy that appraises the item.

Old 02-23-12, 12:54 PM
...gutter-dwelling gold buyers...
You mean those two dudes, "we're the gold guys" I see on TV? I don't know why but they just look like criminals to me.

Drive to Minneapolis....never again....them folks are nuts. I'll drive to my daughter's in North Branch but no farther. :NO NO NO:

I don't think I'd ever sell it, just curious what it is worth.

Thanks

Old 02-23-12, 03:21 PM
I agree about not driving south of the North Branch area, especially in the construction season.

I made the drive from the iron range/"rainch" to the "cities" every Friday afternoon and back every Sunday night for a couple of years when it was easier.

Dick

Old 02-23-12, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
they just look like criminals to me
You mean like G. Gordon Liddy???? Naw!

Old 02-23-12, 11:30 PM
I like the way that the IRS tells you how to put a value on something. It is "worth" what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller when neither party are under any coercion. Since you have no intention of selling the ring its "worth" is mainly sentimental in my opinion.

As for Antiques Roadshow...about 90% (maybe 95%) of what I see on the show is pure garbage to me. When the appraiser states a value I almost always shout out, "Write me a check!" Sometimes I don't even wait for the appraisal.

Old 02-24-12, 01:37 PM
You mean like G. Gordon Liddy???? Naw!

It was just on again....he does look like him. Relative maybe?

Old 02-24-12, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It IS G. Gordon Liddy, hawking gold. Go figure.

Old 02-24-12, 08:20 PM
You're right, I thought you were kidding. From Wiki:

"He is a commercial spokesman for Rosland Capital selling gold in television commercials."

I'll be darned.