What do you think...

Old 02-23-12, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
What do you think...

Do people really fall for these sort of Emails?

"This is to inform you that we the fbi have a warrant to arrest you if we dont hear from you immediately,this is the final warning you are going to receive from the fbi office do you get me? I hope youre understand how many times this message has been sent to you. We have warned you so many times and you have decided to ignore our e-mails we have been instructed to get you arrested immediately, and today if you fail to respond back to us with the payment then, we will close your bank account and jail you and all your properties will be confiscated by the fbi.Robert Mueller, III FB I Director".

It's just unbelievable to me

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-12, 02:14 PM
Vic

After all those warnings, I'm surprised you havent turned yourself in by now.

Old 02-23-12, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Well, I have the IRS after me according to email ; at least they don't carry guns.

Oh, and the BBB is after me, too.

Old 02-23-12, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
I wish they'd hurry up and get him behind bars so I can collect the reward for diming him out.

Old 02-23-12, 02:26 PM
Well, I have the IRS after me according to email ; at least they don't carry guns.

Exactly what division of the IRS is looking for you? All IRS Criminal Investigation Division (CID) agents carry firearms.

Old 02-23-12, 04:55 PM
Yeah, there are IRS agents that carry guns. Turns out people tend to get bent out of shape when their assets get seized.

LOTS of people fall for those stupid emails. Those Nigerians have made many many many millions of dollars scamming through email.

Old 02-23-12, 05:27 PM
The grammatical composition sure is comical, that in itself proves it is a scam. Like most scoundrels, they try to put just enough truth in, to get peoples attention...

Back in the 70's my brother was a framing contractor. He fell on hard times and didnt get his quarterly taxes paid on time. The IRS sent him the nastygrams and he kept telling them at the office in person, that he didnt have the money. He hadnt had enough contract work to pay the taxes, he was barely feeding his family with the small jobs he was getting. ...

One day shortly after his visit to the IRS agent, his wife calls him very upset. She had went to the bank to get some money for groceries, but their checking and small savings accounts were emptied and had been locked by the IRS....

They had two kids at that time, a 2 and 4 y.o. and he was putting his wife through college. He got a certified letter the next day stating they were coming to get his work truck and tools. They were made penniless in 24 hours...

My brothers MIL finally bailed him out, I guess she didnt like seeing her grandkids go hungry. My brother got some good contracts soon after that and started paying his taxes on time again and his MIL back. Moral of the story, back then, NO one screwed around with the IRS.

Old 02-23-12, 11:38 PM
Greg, while what you wrote is absolutely true what is definitely NOT true is ANY communication via E-mail from "the IRS". The real Internal Revenue Service does NOT use E-mail nor does the Federal Bureau of Investigation. That means that ANY E-mail that a person receives purporting to be from an official governmental agency is in fact bogus.

I do a large percentage of my purchasing over the Internet and I am constantly getting E-mails that are supposedly sent by USPS, UPS, Fed-Ex and the like. I don't even open them but immediately delete. Having received the genuine notification from these shippers I know a fake just from the preview.

Old 02-24-12, 01:48 AM
I didnt say they sent him emails, as in the early 70's computers were basically a non - item in our backwoods state. We still communicated the old fashion way in the 70's, via telephone and letters.
Nastygrams= letters

Old 02-24-12, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
From the "IRS" this morning:

"Dear Accountant Officer,
Hereby you are notified that your Income Tax Return Appeal id#1486117 has been DECLINED. If you consider that the IRS did not properly estimate your case due to a misunderstanding of the facts, be prepared to re-submit your appeal. You can access the rejection report and re-submit your appeal using the following link Online Tax Appeal."

Oh, and lately I'm in hot water with the American Institute of CPA's, too:

"Valued AICPA member,

We have been informed of your recent involvement in income tax infringement on behalf of one of your employees. According to AICPA Bylaw Paragraph 600 your Certified Public Accountant license can be terminated in case of the fact of submitting of a incorrect or fraudulent tax return on the member's or a client's behalf.

Please find the complaint below below and respond to it within 21 days. The failure to do so within this period will result in withdrawal of your Accountant license."

Nothing from the BBB yet this morning, probably later.

Old 02-24-12, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What I find comical is all the e-mails that state after careful research they've decided I'm the only one that they can trust with their money...... but the e-mail is addressed to 'dear sir or madam' I guess in all their careful research they forgot to find out my name

I find it hard to believe that people fall for these scams.

Old 02-24-12, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
Got my daily BBB scam mail:

Attn: Owner/Manager

Here with the Better Business Bureau would like to notify you that we have been sent a complaint (ID 50300506) from your customer with respect to their dealership with you.

Please open the COMPLAINT REPORT below to view more information on this issue and inform us about your position as soon as possible.

We hope to hear from you shortly.

===================================

One of the big ones lately around here is a phone scam where the caller purports to be someone's grandchild and in jail somewhere, usually Mexico or Latin America, and needing fine or bail money wired. Plenty of people fall for it and you have to wonder, they wouldn't call the parents first or do something besides rush right down to the Western Union office and wire a couple grand into never-never-land?

Old 02-24-12, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Got my daily BBB scam mail:
Attn: Owner/Manager
Here with the Better Business Bureau would like to notify you....
I got one of those before there was Email. It was on my answering machine when I got home from work. Called the number left and it was a solicitor trying to sell me a membership in the BBB There was no complaint. I have never quit being POed over that and firmly believe the BBB is more scam then real help for customers. After all it makes its money from the businesses it allegedly protects consumers from and actually has no real power to help consumers.

Old 02-24-12, 10:46 AM
Wow, that's absolutely insane. That's almost as bad as people falling for those stupid chain e-mails. "Send this to 7 people or else you'll have bad luck..."

Old 02-24-12, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
There were chain letters long before emails. Computers just made it easier. There was also the send-a-dollar scheme to an address on a list , add your name to the list and then send the list to a friend. Hard to explain if you have an ounce of sense but supposedly as the letter was passed around all these dollars would come flowing into your mail box as your name moved to the top of the list.

Then there was the item, often a fountain pen allegedly made by the blind, that was sent unsolicited to you and you were suppose to send payment back or mail the item back. USPS finally got a federal law passed you could legally keep and use unsolicited merchandise with out paying for it.

Old 02-24-12, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, you'll know if you get a phone call from someone who is in jail. The recording says it is from a correctional institute (doesn't name it, though) and if you choose to accept the call, charges to your phone will be incurred. What they don't tell you is the phone calls cost an average of $10 each. One of my helpers had a run in a short time ago. Got a call like that. He quickly figured out I wasn't the one to call, since I never accepted the charges.

Old 02-24-12, 04:57 PM
I have never quit being POed over that and firmly believe the BBB is more scam then real help for customers. After all it makes its money from the businesses it allegedly protects consumers from and actually has no real power to help consumers.
I've had the BBB help me out a couple of times. Most businesses don't know they have no real power and get nervous when they are contacted by them. Good businesses take it seriously to maintaint their rep. Not that many businesses pay the BBB any money. I'm not sure exactly how it operates, but I imagine only the accredited businesses pay fees to them.

Even though the BBB has no real power, they do maintain complaint records and forward those onto law enforcement when enough pile up and mean something. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but the cops are going to do that.

Old 02-24-12, 06:46 PM
What really bothers me about some e-mails are these forwarded e-mails talking about missing children that are really not missing at all or were missing at one time but are no longer missing. My aunt used to send me forwarded e-mail about missing children until I investigated a few of the e-mails and told her they were false or had been real at one time. I have heard of a few news services being fooled by these e-mails and they in turn lending credence to these e-mails until they learn the truth. It really doesn't surprise me either as the news here lately jumps the gun on about anything. Luckily I haven't heard any stories like that lately so maybe they are beginning to be more careful at least about stories like that.

Search this Thread