6 days and counting

Old 02-25-12, 06:19 AM
6 days and counting

friday is closing. i will be offline wed or thursday. and back online, as a "house-owner" by sat or sunday (if the cable guy shows up).
this assuming that the weather will allow us to move.

we are going to buy appliances today.

anyway .........

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-12, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
Start stretching your wrist. You don't want to risk an injury signing your name 1,000 times.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 03-04-12 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-25-12, 06:50 AM
While you're looking at appliances start thinking about tools - power tools. A chop saw and table saw to start. Plumbing and electrical tools are a must. Then there's also all the yard tools to think about. Lawn mowers and trimmers and leaf blowers - - Oh My!! Don't forget the chain saw and snow blower and maybe a rear tine tiller for that garden you always wanted. Spades and garden forks, loppers and bypass trimmers.

Man, where ya going to put all that stuff? Build a shed? A garage addition?

Old 02-25-12, 09:05 AM
Don't forget a portable generator!

Old 02-26-12, 07:24 AM
signing isn't so bad.

tools, yeah. i do have many now. but i do need a lot more. i will get them as i need them.
a shed word be real nice & plenty of space for one. and i would really enjoy building one. but it isn't going to happen if it raises the property taxs.

Old 02-26-12, 08:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did someone say "tools". Drool.

Old 02-26-12, 09:38 AM
It won't raise property taxes if it is a temporary structure. So as long as there is no concrete and it isn't too big, you will be fine.

Old 02-26-12, 10:00 AM
In my neck of the woods, any outside building 100 sq. ft or larger must be permitted by the city. So I bought a 96 sq. ft. one.

On closings, be prepared to be signing stuff that no one takes the time to read or the closing would be 6 days rather than 1 hour. ...

Hope a home inspection was done and a deed/tax liabilty search was done also. Good luck and congrats on your new home ! Find your local HD & Lowes locations soon after you get moved in

Old 02-26-12, 03:27 PM
tools tools tools tools tools tools tools tools tools tools tools tools tools tools

if a shed, whatever size, will not raise my taxs, i will build one.
100sf ? how about if i build it a 3 story

i am paying cash for the place. so that should cut down on the signings.

Old 02-26-12, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
There ya go...build it under the minimum, but 3 stories tall with no second or third floors. Then you can get a really long ladder and hang all yer tools on the walls....lol.

Old 02-26-12, 05:08 PM
i am paying cash for the place. so that should cut down on the signings.
You should be changing your name to moneybags not house-owner.

Since your pockets are so deep, let me know if you need any custom woodwork. I know we don't live near each other, but with your money, money is no object!

Old 02-26-12, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well...If I hadn't had credit card and vehicle debts and had to pay rent for 8 months in CA, when I sold my house in VA and moved here...I could have paid cash too. Would have taken most of it...but I could have.

Wish I had more of it now....houses are going at auction for 1/2 of what the note on them was. Put $2K in some tile, carpet, and paint and you have a paid for rental.

Old 02-27-12, 03:33 AM
Vic, how true it is. My current client bought a 7 year old two story with basement log home (12" with chinking) in a gated community at the top of a mountain for almost half of what it was listed for. I couldn't believe when I did research online for it. They are doing a major renovation, and have the money for the best of everything. Even with the renovation investment they are still way under the appraised value. Right place......right time.
At present we have removed every piece of sheetrock in the house and will start replacing it with 6" T&G beaded planks today. 12' planks are $10 each, and my first order was for for nearly 300 sticks. 1300 sf of hardwood flooring to go in. One kitchen and 3 bathrooms to tile the floors. One bath to build a tile walk in custom shower. I am truly blessed to have this work at this time, no doubt.

Old 02-27-12, 05:34 PM
You should be changing your name to moneybags not house-owner.
(i did) LOL. at work they are calling me "big money". just goes to show what yall know. this isn't an expensive house buy any means. my condo was paid off. and not including the closing costs i paid, i am making a lateral move, price wise. this house was(this coming friday) bought for 1/2 of what the p/o's paid in 07. and then they put about $25k into it. i feel real bad for those folks, but it seems i am doing them a favor, as they cannot afford the bills on it.

Old 03-03-12, 09:06 PM
ok. i am now "House-owner". i am sitting in my new office right now. drinking some beers and just going over some things , seeing if they work.

i have a few small stories to tell. but later

see ya'll in the morn'n

Old 03-04-12, 04:03 AM
Since I am the only one that gets up early on Sunday, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Look forward to hearing your stories.

Old 03-04-12, 07:22 AM
thank you.

a few little things :

we got an extra $1400 off the price = an error in the calculations somewhere

we have a cheery tree.

i have some trees to cut down and some to trim.

the heat $ucks here. it has a new furnace and a/c. but the ducts are pretty bad. i am going to look into reducting the whole place. this sounds daunting. but it may not be so bad, other than taking the brick chimney down as this is where the ducts would go from the basement furnace, up to the attic for distribution to the rooms.
the insulation, if you want to call it that, needs a massive updating. also it needs new windows.

we are getting our new appliances later today. till then, it is cold enough outside to use the front porch as a fridge

Old 03-04-12, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Congratulations on your new house! $1400 mistake? Can't beat that!

Old 03-04-12, 06:11 PM
thank you

sure they can. $1500

got the appliances today, nice stuff. we are VERY HAPPY with them. i have to trim a cabinet to make the fridge fit well. not hard, once i found my tools

Old 03-04-12, 06:15 PM
oh. can i be changed to "House-owner" now ?

Old 03-05-12, 06:34 PM
we have a cheery tree.
mmmmm, fresh cherries
the heat $ucks here. it has a new furnace and a/c. but the ducts are pretty bad. i am going to look into reducting the whole place. this sounds daunting. but it may not be so bad, other than taking the brick chimney down as this is where the ducts would go from the basement furnace, up to the attic for distribution to the rooms.
You could also consider just having them cleaned.
got the appliances today, nice stuff. we are VERY HAPPY with them. i have to trim a cabinet to make the fridge fit well. not hard, once i found my tools
Good Luck!
oh. can i be changed to "House-owner" now ?
Congratulations!

Old 03-06-12, 07:36 PM
thanx

i believe thee "A" coil (as someone called it) needs to be cleaned. i am going to do that this weekend = i didn't move my vacuums during the move