And people wonder why I charge what I do.......

Old 02-29-12, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
And people wonder why I charge what I do.......

Sorry, just have to vent. AC on the wrecker died this a.m. (compressor clutch electro-magnet shorted to ground) and the replacement compressor is going to run me over $700. Just a new clutch assembly alone would have run me over $300. No aftermarket options unfortunately. "No, I can't do your $75 tow for 50 bucks!"

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-12, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well...if you bought American instead of those furrin trucks.....lol.

At least I think you have a Volvo or Iveco don't you?

Yer just mad cause it only lasted 200K I bet....

Old 02-29-12, 03:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Suck it up TG, you don't need no stinkin' AC

Since moving to tenn, I've not once missed the fla humidity. Things could be worse - it could have waited until summer to crap out

Old 02-29-12, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Come down HERE and say that, Mark! On the plus side, the humidity isn't sky-high and it's not too bad running with windows down except when I sit at a stoplight for a couple of minutes it gets pretty warm inside. And you're right about the July thing, same thing I said to the parts guy at the truck center. He wanted to know did I want to pay extra for fast delivery or 3-5 days standard; I said if this was July I would want it tomorrow and forget the cost but I could wait right now.

Vic, it's got a bowtie on the front! Well, okay it's an Isuzu chassis underneath, but got 350 Chevy power and GM tranny. And I'm mad because the compressor only went a little over 300,000. On the bright side, it's the last one I'll ever have to buy; only been through two now in 608,000 miles.

Old 02-29-12, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well TG, you can always move up here where you'll only need the AC 3 months out of the year!

Old 02-29-12, 08:03 PM
I only used the A/C in my house three times last year, coldest summer on record I do believe.

Old 02-29-12, 08:30 PM
Well TG, you can always move up here where you'll only need the AC 3 months out of the year!
I'm with her, it's beautiful up here!

Old 03-01-12, 03:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I feel for ya. Just turned over 400k on my Cummins Ram in January. Cranks when I tell it to (1/2 turn), pulls what I want, never whimpers, rattles like a box of rocks, but when something goes wrong, it ain't cheap. Like Marksr said, suck it up and charge more. You have the snowbirds until April. Then we get them for 4 months. Oh, why did I spoil a perfectly good morning thinking about that

Old 03-01-12, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
I get very little direct business from the snowbirds; if they can afford to winter in Florida they generally drive newer, better-maintained cars. The ones who drive down often have their vehicle checked over before leaving home and the ones who leave a car down here don't usually require more than a jump start on arrival in the Fall. Also, a lot of them have that motor club that starts with an "A" whose tune I don't dance to. The last three years I did more business Jun-Aug than I did Jan-Mar.

People use AC above the Mason-Dixon Line???

Furd, I think we used the heat about three times this winter; lot of weather records being broken.

Old 03-01-12, 06:08 PM
People use AC above the Mason-Dixon Line???
Yes, except we turn it on when it gets above 65 like how you guys down in FL turn the heat on when it gets below 80.

Old 03-01-12, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Actually our heat setting is 76.

And my shorts/jeans decision temp is 70.

Old 03-01-12, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Well down here a few years back the city bought some new buses with Federal money. One of the strings attached was that because the buses were air conditioned that the windows had to be fixed in place so they couldn't be opened.

This happened during one of the hottest summers on record. Usual temperature at 4pm for more then a month 104 then it dropped back to the high nineties. Well the ACs started dieing like roaches in a Hotshot commercial. Most if there had even been parts to fix them didn't make it past 10am. There were no spare buses. The mechanics started yanking the ACs out from the engine compartments and either hanging them under the buses or putting them on the roof but it didn't help.

Then the newspaper got involved and found out that the units installed were only intended to maintain a temperature differential of between 15 under ideal condition and 10 under average conditions. You do the math if it is 104 outside and bus is standing room only, well above average capacity, during rush hour.

Buy the end of summer most of the buses had been equipped with third world AC. The windows removed and replaced with wire mesh or more usually nothing.

Old 03-01-12, 07:31 PM
Actually our heat setting is 76.

And my shorts/jeans decision temp is 70
Here in PA, My heat is 74 and my shorts/jeans is 70, too.

Buy the end of summer most of the buses had been equipped with third world AC. The windows removed and replaced with wire mesh or more usually nothing.

I would've just put in an in-window a/c unit and a big inverter

Old 03-01-12, 10:01 PM
Last summer I couldn't go three days without turning on the heat and my normal setting is 68 during the day and 70 after the sun goes down. I usually drop it down to 63 or 64 at bedtime and it was cycling by the time I woke up the next morning.

Outside temperatures higher than 75 are too darn hot for this kid. I like a nice overcast day with the temperature between 65 and 70.

Old 03-02-12, 02:45 PM
Outside temperatures higher than 75 are too darn hot for this kid. I like a nice overcast day with the temperature between 65 and 70.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ne...#ixzz1o0CcUDKF
As long as it's not humid, It's fine with me.

Old 03-02-12, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
I set the heat at 74 and the shorts don't come out until it's at least 80 - you can make a case I live in the wrong part of the country....

Old 03-03-12, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
When I was in "A" school in Great Lakes it was such a bad winter that they warned people to not walk more than a block without stopping in a building to warm up. The Base Police were actually stopping people that didn't have hats and gloves on. Possibly it was because the temps were in the single digits and negative numbers. With the wind off the lake the wind chill could hit -75 some days. Of course these were the same people that made us wait in a parking lot in the mornings to catch a bus to one of the school buildings at another annex.

I remember when it finally warmed up to 40, people were wearing shorts and t-shirts like it was the middle of summer.

I probably wouldn't be able to do it now...the shorts come out of storage in April and thats about all I wear til Oct-Nov.

Search this Thread