Daylight Savings Time

Old 03-10-12, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Daylight Savings Time

Don't forget to move your clocks ahead one hour before you go to bed tonight (Except you, Vic, and those fine folks in Lanett, Alabama). You will be seriously late for church, Mark!! What do folks do in the I-24 loop in Chattanooga?? You go in and out of time zones more than once in a few miles.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-12, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I bet it would be confusing to live on one of the time zone lines..... although I suppose they are used to it.

We have clocks galore in our house, I tell my wife I'll take care of the atomic clock, the pc clock and the alarm clock [it has a daylight savings time switch on the back] and she can set the rest of them. I don't know why she gives me a dirty look

Old 03-10-12, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the heads up... I hadn't heard which weekend that was! Kind of glad too- I'm tired of the sun blasting in my bedroom window at 6:45. 7:45 is more like it.

Old 03-10-12, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
I'll tell ya....I wish we were on DST. I really hate going from sunup at 5:30 in the summer to 7:30 in the winter. And figuring out driving schedules and when live events are on TV can be fun too.

Old 03-10-12, 08:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When daylight savings time was explained to the old indian chief, he said:

Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket - sew it on the bottom - and have a longer blanket.

Old 03-10-12, 01:13 PM
I wish they would outlaw the time change but I guess they will not. I think I heard somewhere it had to do something with an international treaty but I could be wrong. I do know one thing it sure is annoying and I wish I didn't have to do it. I certainly heard about it enough times our weather guy on WJLA tv Doug Hill talked about it all week. I like him but I wish he didn't do it all week long. Well I guess if he didn't people would complain too so he just figured better to be safe than sorry and make sure they know.

Old 03-10-12, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always kind of liked having the extra hour of daylight after I got off of work..... but I also was glad to see the change back in the fall - by then I was tired of working around the homestead in the evenings and glad I had a good excuse to stay inside

Old 03-10-12, 02:56 PM
Growing up, my mother told us they changed the time because too many kids were getting hit by cars in the morning while walking to school. Now they say it saves energy somehow. Shrug.

Old 03-10-12, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
I say shift it by half an hour and call it good.

Old 03-10-12, 07:58 PM
Unfortunately we don't get a vote. Oh well better get away from this computer and get back to changing all of my clocks. Now I have to wait too and see if my dvd recorders automatically change and if not then make sure they are manually changed. It's going to be another long night.

Old 03-11-12, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Now they say it saves energy somehow
That was the original intent. Since a lot of people don't wake up until 7am or go to bed until 11pm, daylight savings time helps them to wake up when the sun does and have an extra hour of daylight in the evenings = less electricity spent on lighting. The main reason for setting the clocks back in the fall is to limit the amount of time kids might have to wait on a school bus in the dark.

Old 03-11-12, 05:34 AM
On a farm it doesn't matter about "clocks" anyway. You still get up by the sun and go to bed whenever you wake up after watching goofy TV shows and realize you are in your living room chair, dead asleep I don't wear a watch, but have a clock on my phone. I use "clock" time for society's sake alone.

Old 03-11-12, 09:58 AM
I say shift it by half an hour and call it good.
I'm right with you there.

Old 03-12-12, 05:24 PM
While we are on DST thread, and I couldn't resurrect the older thread(s), how do you change time zone in the CP? I go to the CP dropdown the time zone (-5), highlight "is DST in effect now", but the change does not stick on the wall. There is no "save" button. I am posting this at 20:23 and the forum will show it at 18:23.

Old 03-12-12, 07:32 PM
One of the best things I ever did was to buy a cheap battery powered clock at Office Max that communicated with the atomic clock in CO and updated the time hourly or sooner. It also had an automatic daylight setting, so when I got up on Sunday morning after the change, it gave me the correct time to use in setting everything (watch first, then microwave, alarm clocks, computers, microwaves, ranges, car clocks, etc. as I went around) so everything was the same. If you are in a border area (Illinois, NW Indiana and some other troublesome areas), it can get complicated.

Dick

Old 03-13-12, 03:57 PM
Speaking of time, let me see if the forum time is correct or off by hours like it is whenever the clocks change.

Old 03-13-12, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
The forum time is correct for the majority of members. If someone's isn't, the problem is with their computer not picking up the correct forum time, not the forum itself. Why, I don't know.

Old 03-13-12, 04:26 PM
Justin, I have already done it, and mine is off by 2 hours. But the last time I brought the subject up, most everyone said I was goofy (maybe not in those words), but that the forum time was fine and mine was off. Tried to change my time zone in CP again, and it won't take. Cleared my cache, checked my email and washed the truck, but it still is 2 hours off.
Rebecca, our posts collided. Why would I want my computer to pick up the forum time when the forum is set to GMT -6 and won't let me change my time zone?

Old 03-13-12, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, while I used to have to manually adjust my time zone twice a year to get the forums time to jive with mine - that was fixed a couple of years ago. Not had any time problems since

Old 03-13-12, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, you might be goofy but it doesn't have anything to do with the forum's time

I don't know why it's still messed up for you
Have you tried it on different pcs? or maybe another ISP?
You can wash my truck if you think it will help

Old 03-13-12, 04:30 PM
Justin, I have already done it, and mine is off by 2 hours. But the last time I brought the subject up, most everyone said I was goofy (maybe not in those words), but that the forum time was fine and mine was off. Tried to change my time zone in CP again, and it won't take.

Old 03-13-12, 04:33 PM
Mark, I don't mind changing the time zone after every equinox, but I can't. The only viable ISP we have is Windstream, so that's out. Wife says I'm goofy sometimes, too, so it is a quorum. Is there a "save" button in the CP?

Old 03-13-12, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only viable ISP we have is Windstream, so that's out.
I was thinking maybe a wifi at a restaurant or someplace...... if you are so equipped.

guess my truck stays dirty

Old 03-13-12, 04:45 PM
Ooh, I can set my Atrix to be a WiFi point. Either that, or I will log on using my phone to see what happens. It'll rain sooner or later, that's the best the truck will get

No luck with the phone thingy. It reverts to GMT -6.

Old 03-13-12, 04:53 PM
I have the problem with the forum time as well.

Old 03-13-12, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Larry...very odd whats going on with you. I looked at your full profile in VBulletin and it shows you at -6 (Central Time? Thought you would be Eastern)...but it also shows DST not currently in effect?

I know it's minor...but why not PM Sharp Advice and see if he can correct it. I can look...but I can't change.

Old 03-13-12, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
That would explain why Larry's time is off by 2 hours. It's set to the wrong time zone and DST is turned off.

Larry, guess I didn't explain myself well. If I come here logged off, the time is always off for some reason, but if I'm logged in, it's showing the correct time. I suppose because of cookies or whatever that my computer sees when I'm logged in. Not sure if that explains what I mean any better, lol, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying.

However, in this case it may be something wrong in the VBulletin for your profile.

Old 03-13-12, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
drooplug, yours is correct except that "automatically detect DST settings" is turned to Off. Go in your General settings and see if you can change that to "Automatically detect DST settings".

Old 03-13-12, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Justin's is set to -4 with DST not currently in effect.

This would explain the time's being off in some, but why, I haven't a clue.

Old 03-13-12, 05:42 PM
Thanks Rebecca, and I understand. I did as Vic indicated and PM'd SA regarding the problem. I just never could get the time change, nor the DST button to stick once I logged out.

Old 03-13-12, 06:50 PM
drooplug, yours is correct except that "automatically detect DST settings" is turned to Off. Go in your General settings and see if you can change that to "Automatically detect DST settings".
I have to change the DST setting manually because the auto detect doesn't work.

Old 03-14-12, 05:57 PM
Oooh, it IS who you know in this world. My problem was handled most masterfully and I feel good about being on the forum around midnight....or was it 10pm.....who knows. It's fixed. Thanks Tom.

Old 03-14-12, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Good to know it's fixed Larry...at least for now?

Sometimes the updates to the software does weird things....and I'll bet thats when it happened, way back when. Even if you didn't know.

Old 03-15-12, 05:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Time is set correctly for the web site. Just checked it...

Those whom do not have auto time detect set will have the incorrect time displayed.... Those members in this thread whom mentioned their computers time for this site is off, as a result of daylight savings, I already turned on auto detect for you in your profile.

All the rest whom have this same problem, check your profile and select auto time detect. After a reboot or upon the next time you login or visit this site, the time should be correctly set...

Old 03-15-12, 04:24 PM
Very nice. So it seems I need to reboot to see the settings for daylight savings time take effect? That may have been my issue all along then. I never thought I needed to reboot for a website. I always remained logged in too.