Isn't this weather messed up

Old 03-15-12, 03:58 PM
Isn't this weather messed up

Last week, I was driving 15 mph, praying some fool hadn't just stopped in the middle of the road because they couldn't see any more. Now this week I am getting my mower ready to use in a few days. This is the shortest, warmest winter I can remember.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-12, 04:17 PM
It certainly is unusual.

Last year we had record snow (about 100", but not too cold) and this year, about 1/4 that amount of snow and most was melted before Christmas. Record daily highs by 20F for a week or so. Despite the low natural snow amount, it was great for snow-making. One local hill will close this week-end or next while people are playing golf on the north facing slopes. In the north at Lutsen, with over 600' of drop on the north shore of Lake Superior, they will be skiing for another month so more ski and golf week-ends.

Dick

Old 03-16-12, 01:47 AM
I personally think it has to do with global warming. We all need to do something to at least slow down the effect and that means taking mass transit or carpooling more often. I did my part a couple of years ago and bought a battery powered mower.

Old 03-16-12, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, I did my part, too by buying a battery powered phone. It is odd, though, I have to use fossil fuel electricity to charge it, so go figure Sorry, Hedge, I can't jump on that bandwagon with you. And, we'll get zapped for getting political.

Old 03-16-12, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
I was getting bit by mosquitoes in mid February. Mowed the lawn in late February. My pond did not freeze over and we only got one heavy wet snow that came down on ground that was 45 or 50f so it immediately melted. I'm having to re-think our garden plan. I'll probably strike cool season veggies that we normally do in the spring. We're already getting sunny days in the 80's.

Old 03-16-12, 06:34 AM
What really is global warming, I have heard so many different things. Does this account for weather to more to different places. Our normal weather has moved like 75 miles south east. They got other cold and snow, and we got there warmth and rain. And the lack of snow this winter is suppose to be from the high pressure front that was stuck over us for weeks.

Old 03-16-12, 09:06 AM
It is no longer called global warming but global climate change. Whether or not it is a result of human actions or is entirely natural is hotly debated and whether or not it can be lessened or controlled by human intervention is just as hotly debated. What is no longer debated among scientists is if it is actually happening, it is.

I've had a battery-operated lawn mower for something like fifteen years and it still works just fine with the original battery. Something like 90% of our electricity is generated in hydroelectric facilities so I don't concern myself with the argument that electric merely relocates the pollutants. I do wish that I could get some of the warmer weather as it has been unseasonably cold and wet here this winter and I do not want a repeat of last year which was (I think) the coldest summer on record.

Old 03-16-12, 01:17 PM
Furd, Isn't it mainly cold there most of the time. When I was in the service, that is where I took my winter servile training.

Old 03-16-12, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This "winter", I moved my snow blower from the basement to the garage. Never had to gas it up and will probably move it back to storage in a few weeks.

Looking at the big picture, the glaciers once covered western Ohio and later it was under an ocean. We little ants runing around on it are not near as important as we sometimes think we are.

Old 03-16-12, 03:07 PM
I would like to hear more about your battery powered lawnmowers. When it is time for a new one, I am interested in one for myself. Mainly I am interested in the quiet operation.

Some of the reading I have done has talked about the need to pay extra for a trickle charger so the battery doesn't die prematurely. I am curious as to what brands you guys have and how much lawn they mow. Myt property is pretty small, so I think one battery charge should do the trick for me.

Old 03-16-12, 06:09 PM
Furd, Isn't it mainly cold there most of the time. When I was in the service, that is where I took my winter servile training.
I guess that depends on how you define cold and exactly where a person is. In the Puget Sound basin (Seattle and closely surrounding communities) we have what is know as a "West Coast Marine" climate. We rarely experience temperatures much below freezing during the winter or much above 80-85 degrees in the summer and when these extremes are passed they rarely last more than a few days. Of course we also have mountains within 90 miles that have snow year-round and eastern Washington is almost like the Great Plains when it comes to temperature extremes.

Today the official high temperature was (if I remember the news correctly) 48 degrees while the normal high for this time of year is 54. It was, in fact, a pretty nice day today and even included afternoon sunshine but still colder than normal and definitely too cold for this native. Last week we had some light snow as low as 200 foot elevation, something almost unheard of for March.

As for the lawnmower...I did write about it some time last year in the outdoor power equipment forum. I have a Black & Decker model CMM1000 19 inch cut machine. I got it around 1994 from the blue and red big box mega-mart homecenter. It has two 12 volt SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries connected in series to provide 24 volts to the blade motor. It has both a rear grass catcher and a mulching plug although I have never tried the mulching function. I don't remember the price but I think it was somewhere in the $400 to $500 dollar range but I used a 20% off coupon so out-of-pocket was less.

That was at my previous home which had a 900 square foot house on a shy quarter acre with most of the rest of the lot being grass. It took a full day (or for me, two days) to mow all that grass but in fairness I have a tendency to go far too long between mowings. I could do the entire yard on one charge of the battery. My present home is quite a bit larger and on a significantly smaller lot and my present lot also has a lot of area that isn't grass so it is difficult to make any kind of direct comparison. I still go far too long between mowings and often let the grass get a solid six or eight inches high yet this mower takes it on with nary a hiccup. I can easily mow the yard twice , maybe even three times, on on charge. Although the instructions for the mower suggest leaving the charger connected at all times when not in use I often will leave it unplugged for months on end, only charging it when I think I might use it the next day.

Truth is, I run out of power long before the mower. No stink, no smoke and about half the noise of a gasoline mower. I never have to store gasoline, never worry about the stupid engine not starting, never have to go through any kind of routine maintenance like spark plugs or draining gasoline; the silly thing starts with a squeeze of the handle and just cuts the grass as easy as anything. I wouldn't have a gasoline-powered lawnmower if someone gave it to me.

Old 03-16-12, 06:33 PM
Maybe this summer, I should invest in a power washer or a roll or two of romex, I made nothing this winter other than in December for an emergency shed rewire.

Old 03-16-12, 08:52 PM
I will add that while I think I made a wise choice with my Black & Decker mower and I think it is the same model that Furd has I can't finish my yard on just the one battery and tall grass is a nightmare but I can still get it finished. Best advice is to do the back yard first and then the front yard if your back yard is the biggest yard. So mowing wise they may not be as powerful as a gasoline powered mower but I would never give up on it. I agree with Furd very little maintenance except for a blade change and no more dealing with gasoline which is a big plus for me. Not just for the environment but it saves buying extra gasoline. Only thing we use gas for now is our generator if we need it.

Old 03-17-12, 04:19 PM
I come to this forum today with a heavy heart

It appears I may have to stop going to the barber that I have grown to count on to make the best of my ugly rug on top of my noggin'...

This morning in making idle conversation with him while he was clipping away, I said to him, " It sure was a mild winter, I would hate to think Ole" Al G. is on to something with his GW stuff'...

My goodness, its a wonder I have a hair left on my head, snip,snip,snip, I thought those hand clippers had turned electric in the high speed mode suddenly...

My barber replied to my comment in a stern but authoritative voice, " If you believe anything about that AG GW crap, you are fooling yourself" ! Our weather is controlled by special weather stations ...

Huh ? I said, and just what makes you think that ? ..

He said, I dont just think it, I know it. Go on YouTube and just type in Haarp and find out for yourself. ... Well, regretfully I fell for it and went to YT. Now I fear my IPS address is on a secret file somewhere on the North Pole and my dog will be abducted and used for weird experiments. ...

I hate this happening to him, he clips a good cut and as we men know a good "old school" barber is hard to find nowadays. Tongue in cheek typing aside now, I feel bad for his wife and kids, they must be living in....> Enter the theme song from the Twilight Zone". <

Old 03-17-12, 05:35 PM
That's what you get for even tip toeing on politics with your barber!

Old 03-17-12, 07:16 PM
LOL ! You are exactly right !

Old 03-18-12, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
At least it wasn't your dentist, or a doctor performing a colonoscopy

Old 03-18-12, 04:35 AM
Ouch ! Excellent point Chandler ! I will be very careful from now about having chit chat subjects with anyone that has access to my body parts.

Old 03-18-12, 07:04 AM
Group Moderator
Or who are paying customers; I'm real careful on chat subjects when I have a customer in the wrecker with me. Religion and politics definite no-no's.

Old 03-18-12, 08:30 AM
I hate chit chat so I am rarely the problem.

Old 03-18-12, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
And now...back to the weather....

4 days ago it was 74-78 degrees for several days....hasn't really been cold during the day in a month. Avg 60-70 and sunny.

As I type...it's about 42 and sleeting and snowing with 30 mph winds. My wife says her friend who lives up in the mountains (3000 ft higher) has 5" of snow and it's in the low 30's expecting low 20's tonite

WTH?

Don't store those snowblowers yet....

Old 03-18-12, 04:24 PM
The last few days here have still been colder than average but only by about five degrees. Daytime highs in the upper forties to maybe low fifties and mostly wet. Most of the rain falls after dark but during the day it is almost universally overcast with periods of no rain but often a light drizzle. Winds have been moderate for the most part.

Translation of the above is that it is still too cold and wet for any outdoor work. I have enough yard work to do that it would fill my 90 gallon yard waste bin at least four or five times but the cold, wind and wet (along with all my aches and pains) keeps me inside.

Old 03-19-12, 10:51 AM
Third day in a row in the seventies, 72.5 right now.

Snow is long gone, rivers are low, gonna be some low lake levels this year if things don't change.

Old 03-19-12, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
78 now, calling for 81 tomorrow..... and tomorrow is the 1st day of spring

Old 03-19-12, 03:13 PM
Or your food. Never tick off your waitress before you are served.

Old 03-19-12, 03:13 PM
Looks like the high here is going to be about 44-45. Been dry today but my back has not been happy. Prediction is 100% for rain tonight and looks like rain through Friday. No yard work this week.

Old 03-19-12, 03:31 PM
Today it was 72*, a record and about 20-25* above norm. I have already turned my garden something I normally do in mid to late April.

I don't worry too much about climate change since it's totally out of my control. I drive my gas hog truck, run my gas hog mower and use whatever electricity I need to get the job done. My guess is that I could live in a cave and rub sticks together for heat and it wouln't make a scintillion of difference in the earth's future.

FWIW renewable energy resources (hydro, wind, solar, wood etc.) account for about 8% of the total electrical energy generated. Hydro is about 2-3%. The US used to generate more hydro but those pesky salmon and shad complained. Oil, coal and NG provide the fuel for 81% of electricity generated in the US.

Old 03-20-12, 10:05 AM
Or your food. Never tick off your waitress before you are served.
And along those lines, never send your food back to the kitchen, you do know what they will do to it.