Why was the website down?

Old 03-16-12, 01:40 AM
Why was the website down?

Hi
I was wondering why the website was down. I saw that yesterday and called the company that runs it and they said they didn't know how long it would be down. Just curious as I like coming here so I am asking the moderators what happened?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-12, 03:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know why it was down, it must have been while I was busy elsewhere since this is the first I heard of it. Sometimes the site is shut down for maintenance or upgrades but they always announce that first. I'd guess it was some sort of technical issue that came up.

Old 03-16-12, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
As far as I know, the website wasn't down. I was in here several times after noon yesterday, however not in the morning.
What time was this?

ETA: Not sure who you called, but the main company probably would have no idea if the forum were down or not, so whoever you talked to just took your word for it.

Old 03-16-12, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Well....I was on pretty much continuously from about 6AM til 6PM Arizona time....minus an hour or so when I went to the store. Saw a couple of failures to load the page, but a second click normally brought it up.

Old 03-16-12, 09:10 AM
I noticed one time, either late morning or early afternoon, when I tried to access the forums I follow that all of them timed out with a failure. I just went to one of my other Internet sites for a while and when I came back it was fine.

Old 03-16-12, 08:24 PM
It was in the afternoon some time and I remember later I checked and everything was back. I couldn't even go on the website not to mention the forum. The only way I could look at it was a cached version and then I looked down at the bottom of the page and found the name of the company that runs it. I then looked the name up and found a phone number. I was kind of concerned as on another website that has home improvement stuff their forum was down for months. Finally they came back but for a while all they had were articles and nothing too interesting.

Old 03-17-12, 05:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
another website that has home improvement stuff their forum was down for months.
Yikes!
I found this site first and have never seen the need to use any other diy site

Old 03-17-12, 06:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

There are times it isn't the site but rather one or more of the routers from your location to our site. The site is monitored daily and often. Any outage would be detected quickly and any problem caused by us would be fixed asap.

I am one of the closest persons to the location of the site and it's data banks and there are times even I cannot access the site..... Usually only lasts a brief time... and mostly happens in the very early mornings when most of you are still horizontal...HA HA HA.

The routers to this site from any area of the country also need some down times for maintenance. When such happens some members will not have access while others still do. Conditions as such are beyond our controls. Be patient. What you may be experiencing access difficulties others are not.

Web Site Admin.

Old 03-17-12, 06:59 PM
I for one am glad this website is run as well as it is. It is sort of like home here and you miss it when it isn't available. It was like that with that other website I will not mention but will give you a clue it is also a tv show and magazine with a guy who's first name starts with N. I never could understand why that other websites forum was down so long.

Old 03-18-12, 08:19 AM
Do you mean TOH? I've popped back over to their forum recently to see if it has improved. While the spam is way down, the quality of participation and participants isn't that great. It's also not as well organized. This site is really good for all around advice. There seems to be a least a couple knowledgeable people for 75% of the topics. And lots of generally knowledgeable DIYers.

Old 03-18-12, 04:27 PM
I gave up on the TOH forum years ago. Too many "experts" that didn't know what they were writing about and too much infighting among the regulars. I haven't missed it.

Old 03-18-12, 08:36 PM
I'm also a member of the "other" forum. I was on there twice, and that's only because of the HTTPS address. (It was after hours and our student accounts are timed, so after 3 or so we can only get on HTTPS addresses.)

Old 03-18-12, 10:41 PM
Well since you guys have figured it out I will admit it was TOH. I still go on there on occasion but don't find it as interesting except when they have a homeowner blogging and I have to admit I really enjoyed seeing that older house being transformed. Many of the projects though are way out of reach of us common folk though