the economy must really be bad

Old 03-18-12, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
the economy must really be bad

Took my grandson to the nationwide race at bristol yesterday. It looked like there were more empty seats than occupied ones I know the saturday race never has the attendance that the big race gets but bristol has always been the exception. Up until a few years ago the cup race was always sold out about 10 months in advance.

Hope the rain quits so they can dry the track and have todays race go off without a hitch.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-12, 05:19 AM
I can see the economy in my region grinding slowly upward like a old D-9 Cat in bulldog. I think between the inflation and rising gas prices, we have to be more cautious about what we spend our money on. Our money is just not going as far as it used to.

Old 03-18-12, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our money is just not going as far as it used to.
ya, it seems to be going faster too

We've had a quite a few plant closings locally but there have also been new business or expanding ones that have soften the blow some. Here most anyone can get a job but the pay or hours might not be that great. One of my stepson's got laid off a year or so ago, he's working again but only part time - his new paycheck is about the same as his unemployment check was

Old 03-18-12, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not really a NASCAR fan, but got tired of watching the same commercials over and over again during the March Madness games and flipped over to the race. One of the first things I noticed was all the empty seats.

Old 03-18-12, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
It's been like that for several years at least. Used to be people would buy a weekend pass....now they have to decide which they really want to go see.

Even though I only live about 1 1/2 hrs from Vegas and I can normally stay at the AFB for about $40 a night....if I went up on Fri night and stayed through the Sunday race....it could easily be $400. Meals, gas, tickets, room.....it adds up fast. Esp when the beers are $5 each!

Actually...I've only been to a Nationwide and a Sprint race since we've lived here....but they were free tickets wifey won. Not the best seats...but OK. Of course all we can see is the exit of turn 4, the front stretch, turn one and the entrance to turn 2. Some of that is only if they are running high on the track. If we upgraded and got up where a better view is with more comfortable seats....they would have been $75 each if I remember correctly. Seems like they always put them in package deals with access to the pit area and such.

I can stay home, watch it in the garage while I do other stuff. If I miss something, they have a replay. I can see the cars without binocs. I can get food or drinks and not have to pay outrageous prices or stand in line. I don't get sunburned. I don't have an oily film on me or stink of exhaust. I don't have to spend upwards of 3 hours getting into and out of the parking lot. I can't imagine doing that twice in 2 days.

Old 03-18-12, 01:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I prefer to watch the races at home - seats are more comfortable, snack bar is closer, restrooms closer and not crowded but my son got the tickets, couldn't use them and wanted me to go..... and my grandson had never been to a race.

The neat thing about the saturday race is they also have a minor league race after the NASCAR race. This year it was a K&N race. Since most of the fans had left by the time that race ended, I doubt there was more than a 5 minute delay due to traffic

Old 03-18-12, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
...and the beer is cheaper.

Old 03-18-12, 04:47 PM
I used to enjoy going to live concerts and theatre but no more. Music and plays in an intimate 200 to 450 seat theatre are wonderful but in a 5,000, 10,000, or 15,000 seat theater (or arena) you can't hear the music without amplification and then you might as well be listening to a recording. Neither can you see the performers without the use of binoculars (and even then not well) so the total experience is severely diluted.

Watching at home I can benefit from the closer cameras and log-distance lenses along with the sound being at least as good as the live venue. as already stated the food and beverages are less expensive and usually have a wider selection. The seats are far more comfortable and, at least for me, since I record about 99% of what I watch, I can stop anytime for a bathroom break, to get more food or drink or to back up and play a particular part over for any reason.

Plus, I can watch in my pajamas.

And I only have a 27 inch CRT SD television!

Search this Thread