Who decides? (Automotive Hood Release Cable)

Old 03-21-12, 11:04 AM
Question Who decides? (Automotive Hood Release Cable)

Who decides what part you can buy at the parts store, and what you need to get from the dealer. I need a hood release cable. I go on line, and can't seem to find one. I go to the parts store, they look, they can't find one. I go across town to the other parts store, same thing. But they tell me, it is a dealer part. We don't have it, but we can have by tomorrow, if you pay now. That will be 50 buck. WHAT, are you out of your mind, that is like 10 dollars a foot. And all I really need, is the little compression spring on the end of the cable.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-12, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
The manufacturers of the aftermarket parts decide. Using your example....how many do you think they would sell of those? As opposed to suspension parts or sensors?

I've never, ever had to replace a hood cable in 20+ yrs of having cars that had them.

So the aftermarket people base it on what they can sell.

Old 03-21-12, 12:18 PM
In all fairness, how often would someone need to replace a hood release cable? It just doesn't pay to stock many items when they have very low demand.

On the other hand, the license plate lamp bulbs for my 1997 Toyota Camry are a screwy one. No aftermarket store stocks them and many don't even list them as available with special order. I had to go to the Toyota dealer.

Old 03-21-12, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
I feel your pain; had to shell out $750 last month for a dealer-only ac compressor for the wrecker.

Old 03-21-12, 04:04 PM
What is the function of the little spring. If it just returns the cable and mechanism to its home position, can you install a spring elsewhere to provide that function?

Bud

Old 03-21-12, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
This is why the good Lord made pick-your-own-part savage yards.

Old 03-21-12, 05:10 PM
Go to the dealer yourself. I'm sure the parts store is making money on the exchange. You can at least save yourself that margin. Call the dealer and find out.

ray is right about salvage yards. They are a good try.

To answer your question, I am the one who decides. muahahahahah!!!!

Old 03-21-12, 10:27 PM
What is the function of the little spring. If it just returns the cable and mechanism to its home position, can you install a spring elsewhere to provide that function?
The spring is on the end of the cable under the hood on the latch. It helps to return the cable, but just pushing the handle back down would do the same thing. But the spring is shot, and there isn't enough spring tension to unlatch the latch any more. I am just going to go to ace, and see about a new spring, I can wine back on the cable. It is only like 2 or 3 times bigger then the spring in a ball point pen.

Go to the dealer yourself. I'm sure the parts store is making money on the exchange. You can at least save yourself that margin. Call the dealer and find out.
I did go to the dealer, that is who wanted the fifty bucks. And he said it with a straight face.