Barking dog

Old 03-24-12, 03:06 PM
Barking dog

I would like some help with the neighbors barking dog. Can any one tell me, if those things I have seen, you hang on your wall, fence, or post, really work to stop annoying barking. Just about the whole neighborhood has dogs except for me, and maybe a few others. The neighbor closest to me has 3 little dogs, that will bark at anything, and everything, night and day, inside or out. Then the whole neighborhood starts.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-12, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure of the items you describe, but shock collars are about the best deterrent, IMO. They activate when the neck muscles of the dog expand when they bark. As I understand they are able to eat and drink water fine, but barking will send a shock through them. OF course the neighbor would have to attach them, but you could suggest it. Pavlov had his moments.

Old 03-24-12, 04:27 PM
The best barking dog deterent is to call your local animal control guy. In my area they will issue one warning. A second complaint and the owner is fined. A third complaint and the dog is gone.

Old 03-24-12, 06:23 PM
Wayne Mitchell, I though about that, but you would most likely have to leave a name. And there is already more then enough friction between my wife and them. We have to share a drive way, and my wife is always after them, to park on there own side. She wants a fence down the property line so they will have to stay on there side.

Chandler, the shock collar, just might end kill the dogs, some of the cats in the neighborhood are bigger then they are. I know what I would like to do.

Old 03-24-12, 06:45 PM
I feel your pain, Edward. Most of the people in my neighborhood have at least one dog but most of the time you would never know it. Unfortunately, the jerk animal owner lives right behind me. These people have had at least two (sometimes three) dogs as long as I have lived here and that would be okay IF they were responsible. BUT, they basically ignore these poor animals and so the dogs bark anytime the wind changes directions. They bark, sometimes viciously, almost every time I go out in my yard and sometimes if they just see me near the door yet inside my house. I have never seen either the man or woman actually play with the dogs, just occasionally change their water dish. I'm relatively sure they do feed them on a regular basis but dogs need more human interaction than that.

I doubt that they are actually "bad" dogs but just need an eight-year-old child to play with them on a regular basis.

Old 03-24-12, 06:45 PM
My uncle has something that sends an ultrasonic (although I can hear it and it hurts my ears) sound and makes the dogs shut up.

Old 03-24-12, 08:52 PM
These types of devices seem gimmicky and unlikely to work to me. If dog whistles tend to make dogs bark, why would this device make them stop?

Old 03-25-12, 04:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
they basically ignore these poor animals and so the dogs bark anytime the wind changes directions.
I don't know that one has anything to do with the other. My dog which is an outside dog barks at anything that moves, including the wind and he's not starved for attention. Probably the happiest I've seen him was during a hail storm. He was running as fast and jumping as hard as he could biting the hail stones...... I had to duck inside the barn, those small hail stones were hurting my noggin.

Old 03-25-12, 05:42 AM
It doesn't work like that in my town. You call animal control and report the problem and the address. No name is required.

Old 03-25-12, 10:38 AM
Well our animal control officer is a piece of work. The old one, would come any time called day or night, seven days a week. The new one, is a different story. First off, she is afraid of dogs, how do you, or why would you get a job, if you are afraid. The guy down the street had as bit bull, and it was mean, he could barely control it, and it was always getting out, chasing the kids. She would drive by, with her eyes closed, I didn't see it, and leave. Well one day it bit a kid, that was just setting on his porch, playing his video game, the cops came a shot it. I have never seen her chase, or catch anything. The old guy, I have seen him go up a tree, and get a pissed off raccoon out. And he was spitting and hissing the whole time. I had one in a have a heart trap, and didn't really want to mess with it, those little arms are long, and flying every where.