Can crasher (Crusher)

Old 03-28-12, 12:35 PM
Can crasher (Crusher)

Does any body know, if there is a can crasher out there, that isn't made of plastic, or flimsy metal. All the different reviews I have read on can crasher are good.

Last edited by Edward074; 03-28-12 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-12, 01:01 PM
I had a good one that I bought at a local hardware store and used for several years. Cruching cans in a cold garage in the winter is not good.

Now, I just toss the aluminum cans in a plastic bag and every few months throw them into the SUV and drive to the local recycle station to sell them and sit in the car car wile they unload and weigh them and give me weight to get paid for. - Lazy, but easy and "green".

Dick

Old 03-28-12, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
While I cannot verify this information, I was once told it takes more energy to melt crushed cans than those still in a more or less normal shape.

Since I didn't crush my cans in the first place, I never cared. Were I looking to crush, I would be investigating that further.

Old 03-28-12, 02:43 PM
Concretemasonry, That sounds nice, but we don't have a recycling center like that any more. The we had, you didn't even get cold, it was a big garage you drove in, they would empty you car or truck, give you a ticket, and come back later for your money. But I have a lot more then just a few bags. I have a 10X10X7 ft cool bin in my cellar, that is almost full. I should have never put that 4 inch pipe in the kitchen floor, I didn't know it would come back to bit me like that. I know that is a lot of crushing, but it is also a lot of 15 mile trips one way to the can place even with my trailer.

Old 03-28-12, 02:54 PM
mitch17, I looked in to melting the cans at one time along with cooper. I know if there isn't anything in the bottom of your pot, you can actually burn the can before they start to melt. But you got some melting can in there, you good to go.

Old 03-28-12, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I bought a cheap can crusher at harbor freight several yrs ago and it's held up fine - not that I crush a lot of cans. It could have been made a little stouter but........

Old 03-28-12, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
I had one many years ago that was the standard vertical-stroke type crusher. All the parts were heavy steel; it's probably still on the wall of garage at our previous residence. I wish I could remember where I got it!

Old 03-28-12, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Did a quick search and this is probably the one, although I don't think we got it from Ace back then:

Easy Crush® Can Crusher (77702) - Can Crushers - Ace Hardware

This one looks even better:

The Crusher® Multi Can Crusher (77703) - Can Crushers - Ace Hardware

Old 03-28-12, 06:47 PM
Thanks, to all for the replies. I checked the links, the_tow_guy posted, but yet again the reviews are not all that good. A lot of the reviews had words like, flimsy, cheap, poorly made. Most if not all were made to do a few cans a day, not the high volume I need, unless I want to go for a commercial one. I got lots of stuff lying around, I am going to use my old electric log splitter to build one, that should take them down to 1/2 inch or so.

Old 03-29-12, 08:52 AM
We have a deposit law in CT for all beverage containers. At first I didn't like it but I have to admit that cans are no longer a problem for me.

Most supermarkets have recycle machines that return the 5 cent deposit. When I'm too lazy or in too much of a hurry I leave them for an elderly lady (must be at least 85 years old) in town that rides her bicycle (a one speed w/brakes on the pedal) around town collecting cans and bottles along the road.

She once told me that she made a couple hundred a month to supplement her SS.

Old 03-29-12, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
I did a search for homemade can crusher and got lots of pics and sites. Some people have a lot of time on their hands...lol.

Old 03-29-12, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Long time ago when I was a boy scout we collected cans and had a homemade crusher which was a heavy steel disk on the bottom of a pipe (quite a bit like a dirt tamper) - spread the cans out on the floor and just start smashing.

Old 03-29-12, 09:55 AM
As I recall, I bought my can crusher at an Ace Hardware store an it has worked for about 5 years when I go out in the garage (weather permitting) to crush cans. Crushing does decrease the number of trips to the recycling center, but that is not big factor since it is not that far away.

We have no deposit, but cans along the roads are not a problem. Michigan is the King of people trying to just toss cans, so they have a 10 cent deposit and the machines at the supermarkets read the bar codes to make sure the cans were bought in MI. - Have you ever seen the old Seinfeld session where Kramer and Newman collected cans in NY/NJ and took a Post Office van to MI to get the big deposits, but tipped over the van on the first off ramp in MI?

Dick

Old 03-29-12, 05:11 PM
Gunguy45, I guess you could say I am one of those people. I am retired, wife went back to work fior something to do, and I am home alone most of the day. I will have to search for those homemade can crushers. I am looking at using my old electric log splitter. I should be able to do a 6 pk or so at a time.

Old 03-29-12, 05:48 PM
Old 03-30-12, 12:07 PM
Gunguy45, guess I was wrong, I have some free time, but not like some of these people. I took a look at some of those videos on you tube, for can crusher, and those guys have all kinds of free. That thor 5000, was a lot more then a do-it-yourselfer, that most of been on the plus side of a thousand hours, and a lot more money then I want to spend. For that kind of money, I can buy a auto one already to go.

Old 03-30-12, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Thats kinda what I meant. Some of those would have required fully equipped machine shops with CNC and full welding facilities.

btw....I too have lots of time (same situation as you)....just lacking in motivation I guess.

Old 03-30-12, 02:48 PM
I have that same motivation problem. I did solve my can problem though by giving up the sody pop. I was drinking something like six to ten cans a day (diet 7up) and would often let the cans pile up for a couple of days before crushing them one at a time in my cheap (but twenty-plus year old) can crusher. I quit the habit when the cost of 7up at the warehouse club exceeded $7 a case.

And in case anyone is wondering, I gave up the beer more than a decade ago. Never was much of a beer drinker at home anyway.

Old 03-30-12, 09:12 PM
I don't really lack motivation, but the weather has a lot to do with it. If it is cool and damp, my body doesn't feel so good, or move very well. After seeing some of those crusher, I am thinking cheaper and faster. Something like 2 2X8 or 2X6 planks, put a hinge on one end to keep it straight, and run it out with F 350.

Old 03-30-12, 10:07 PM
I like the idea of re-purposing the log splitter. I don't know how yours is made but I would take off the wedge and make a new pusher plate for the cylinder. Use a piece of 3 inch ABS drain pipe to hold the cans and let the pusher plate go through the pipe crushing several cans at once.

I know how you feel when it is cold and damp. I was able to get out three weeks ago and cut back some blackberries. Unfortunately, I ended up hurting so bad I thought I might have had a mini heart attack. Doctor cleared me but the weather hasn't cooperated and I still hurt all over. Darn grass is growing now along with the blackberries.

Old 03-31-12, 08:25 PM
No I don't have any heart problems, at least not yet. My problem is arthritis, in my knees, and hands. Few more years, and I will be looking for some place warm and dry, and as smaller house, so guest have no room. The last one wanted to stay just for the weekend, three months later they finally left.

Old 04-01-12, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just be careful repurposing the log splitter. Remember it has no brain. A ground tamper would make a good can crusher, too. Nice flat one foot square steel plate with a long handle.
Redirect Notice

Old 04-06-12, 02:57 PM
The way my luck is, re-purposing the log splitter, with no brain, is a lot safer then a ground tamper, with no brain. That flat one foot square steel plate could my quick work of my toes.