spoons,toys,diapers.(horrific tales of trash dumping)

Old 04-04-12, 03:30 PM
spoons,toys,diapers.(horrific tales of trash dumping)

Ok... we are living in a rental that had horrific previous tenants. This is the beginning of our 2nd year at our house. Last year was cleaning out all the garbage, wood, weeds and misc items from the area grass should have been growing(the entire yard was dirt when we moved in)...as well as plant and mostly grow a lawn. This year im tackling the fence. So far I've continued a mostly garbage cleanup that included couch cushions, silverware, toys, beer cans, pop bottles, broken glass, bones (hopefully not human), AND CONDOMS all between the rotted fence covered in ivy. I have been told by my neighbors the previous tenants used the backyard like a landfill. Someone please share your worst cleanup story and make me feel better.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-04-12 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Remove a secction posted elesewhere.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-12, 04:20 PM
Watch this show: Hoarding: Buried Alive: TLC

You will feel better in 3 minutes or less.

Old 04-05-12, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Years ago I had a neighbor that seemed to always pick the day/time when the wind blew my direction to burn his trash/garbage. The smoke almost always blew in my bedroom window and throughout the house. After a year or so of verbal altercations the law wound up getting involved. When they found out he was a fireman, they told him if he continued to burn garbage he'd loose his job. BIG MISTAKE! He quit burning and just piled up the backyard with trash/garbage. After he moved out the place stayed vacant for several years but at least the tall grass hid the mess.

Finally the owner got one of his relatives to move in and fix the place up. He hauled off 20+ loads of trash to the dump and then his truck died. The remaining trash got put in one pile. Apparently one of the neighbors didn't like that and the county came out and gave him so many days to haul the rest off.

droo - I've watched that show a time or two - how can anyone live like that

Old 04-05-12, 09:53 AM
I've seen Hoarders, that show is crazy! and from what the landlord has told me they pretty much filled the inside of this house with "stuff" and threw any and everything they deemed trash in the small backyard. Was there a reason your neighbor didn't believe in curbside pickup? Lol. I recall an episode of hoarders with a firefighter. I filled 11 big black bags and worked in a maybe 12 ft strip yesterday. My husband thinks Im nuts. The previous OWNER of the home had wonderful landscaping with river rock, lush lawn, patio and flowers everywhere. This was 10 years ago. The bones are there, the yard will be beautiful when im done, and maybe it will encourage my neighbors to follow suit. *shrug* if nothing else it gets me and my toddler outside every day.

Old 04-05-12, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was there a reason your neighbor didn't believe in curbside pickup?
He claimed it was too expensive, I thought it was cheap. If I remember correctly, it was $21 every 3 months..... it was a long time ago

Either the neighbors will start to take some pride in their homes or yours will really standout. Hope your landlord is appreciative of all your hard work. Keep a close eye on your little one so he/she doesn't get hurt in any of the trash.

Old 04-05-12, 11:39 AM
As much as he wants to help mommy he stays on "sweeping" duty on the deck. I always have alot of things to keep him busy and to feel like he's helping while I do all the dirty work. Bonus being I can contain him in the back room off the deck facing the yard with his favorite cartoon when he gets tired of outside. Im burning the bits of rotted fence today in a small fire pit since my husband is off. Its burning quickly but due to being in city its in such small quantities I will be burning for a few days =\

Old 04-05-12, 12:37 PM
Mark - When we bought our current house the lot had been part of a farm that had been divied up among heirs. The son kept and worked half of the farm. Between the barn and my new house there was a manure pile 10' high that seemed to cover a half acre. There were times in the summer when the wind was right my wife refused to eat outside. She was on my back to complain to the farmer - I didn't though I told my wife I did. It was really ripe. It didn't bother me because I actually like that smell. When I was a kid wew called it Eau de Vermont. The farmer told me the pile had been there at least 150 years - the same age as the barn - although the farm dated back to the late 1600's.

When he died the new owners (yuppies not interested in horses not farming) were actually going to pay somebody to haul it away. I suggested that they put a "free cow s**t" sign up (they changed it to cow manure). They did and for weeks there were people showing up to load their pickups with free gardening gold.

Old 04-05-12, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It didn't bother me because I actually like that smell
Me, too! because I know I'm not in the city limits if I can smell manure

Old 04-05-12, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Another smell of gold if you have hay fields......composted chicken stuff. Pure nitrogen, and clover fixes it to the nodules and it grows like my grandkids!!

Old 04-06-12, 07:34 AM
Ya know, if you are too cheap to pay for curbside pick up of your garbage, there are a lot better ways to handle it than to leave it piled up in the backyard or burning it. People are so stupid.

Old 04-06-12, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually, I do burn most of my trash along with some recycling......... but where I live, it would be very inconvenient for me to have garbage service. My driveway is almost .3 mile long [up hill all the way] so transporting the big can to the bottom and back once a week is more than I'd want to deal with. Plus I live on a one lane dead end road. The neighbor across from the bottom of my driveway has to set her trash can in the entrance to my driveway so the garbage truck can drive in, empty the can and then back out. 2 cans in my driveway would make it difficult to get in and out.

But I agree there is no good reason for anyone to stockpile trash! Don't get me started about the low lifes that litter

Old 04-06-12, 12:47 PM
Mark - I'm with you. My driveway is only 150 yds long but dragging 3 trash cans (we recycle - bottles and cans/paper and household trash) out to the road is a real pain that gets worse the older I get. Especially when there's a foot of snow on the ground.

When I was a kid everyone burned their trash in 50 gal drums in the back yard.
Of course the neighborhood smelled awful (much worse than cow manure) and I can remember my mother being upset because a neighbor burned trash while she had her white sheets hanging on the clothes line.

Remember clothes lines?

Old 04-06-12, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, they were the 1st solar operated dryers

Old 04-06-12, 04:08 PM
As a kid, our drier bit the dust. We didn't have money to get a new one so we used the clothes line in the backyard. I never knew clothes could dry in below freezing temps. I remember pulling the towels off the line and they were stiff as a board. Our neighbor a few houses down would burn his fireplace all the time in the winter. The smoke happen to dump into our backyard so all of our clothes stunk because of it.

Old 04-11-12, 02:45 PM
My worst story is not as horrific as yours, but at the office I used to work at, there was always an usual high amount of dog feces and cigarettes on the sidewalk that we always used. It was absolutely disgusting