Tennant Litter Hawk sweeper will not start

Old 04-06-12, 12:59 PM
Tennant Litter Hawk sweeper will not start

I cannot find a forum for diesel engines and the outdoor forum says gas only so Im posting it here if you can find a spot for it feel free to move it.

I have a tenant litter hawk machine and My issue is with the diesel engine. It will crank and crank and crank and crank but will not start. There is fuel to the fuel filter and after the filter but i can't tell if there is fuel to the cylinders. The engine is a 3 cylinder d722 kubota diesel engine. I put a good battery in it has the old one would not take a charge even when jump-starting from a cargo van. When I first started working on this the fuel filter was bone dry. Now during cranking there is fuel in it and after it so I'm assuming the pump and sender are working. Now I took some pictures of the part of the fuel line I have questions about. the first picture I disconnected one of the lines to the one of the cylinders and no fuel came out. Does it squirt out when the pump is running or does it get sucked into the engine.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8725/photo0030xm.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-12, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Have you tried starting it with a shot of ether into the air cleaner?

Old 04-06-12, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No ether on a diesel, it will blow out the top of the cylinder. Crack one of the injectors and crank the engine until fuel escapes. Tighten it up and crank it. It should start. If not, do it again until you get a good flow of fuel from the injector. It won't start until you eliminate the air embolism between the fuel filter and the injector.

Old 04-09-12, 04:15 PM
No fuel comes out of the lines that connect at the top of the injectors. There is fuel going into the injector pump but can't tell if there is fuel coming out. I removed the injectors but could not test with them hooked up not enough clearance. I took pics of the injectors and the machine itself hard to tell but do the injectors look OK. like said when the line is loosened for bleeding no fuel leaks out at all. Also with the line removed no fuel comes out either. There is fuel going to the injector pump.

Old 04-09-12, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
No ether on a diesel, it will blow out the top of the cylinder.
From what I have read, you can use ether on a diesel as long as you don't over do it and not do it when the glow plugs are on. Also, I have seen it done to a large John Deere.

It might not be any help anyway.

Old 04-09-12, 05:37 PM
But you can't start it without the glow plugs (or heat grid on a Cummins) in the on position. I don't even like to fill up next to a vehicle filling with gas. On tractors I have slightly soaked a rag with gasoline and held it to the intake tube allowing it to suck in the fumes, but I am afraid of ether and it's volatility. Like you say, it may be a moot point if she isn't getting fuel to the injectors in the first place.
Flirty1 does this thing have an electric starter? There may be a fuel cut off solenoid that is not getting activated when the ignition is turned on. They are normally open.

Old 04-09-12, 06:01 PM
it has glow plugs and I tried that and no go. Have not used ether yet. When i turn the ignition ON I hear a CLICK and see a lever next to the injection pump move with the click. Yes its electric start on this engine kubota D722. The way this is set up you turn the key to the left to activate the glow plugs wait for them to turn off then turn it off then on then start. PDF on this engine http://www.kubotaengine.com/products...04_d722_36.pdf

Old 04-10-12, 03:27 AM
Yeah, I have basically the same set up on my Kubota ZTR. Turn the key between "on" and "start" to initialize the glow plug until the light goes out. And that "click" is closing the contacts on the fuel shut off mechanism.
BUT, it seems your problem is not getting the fuel from the pump to the injectors. With the injector lines off, does the fuel exit the pump when the key is turned to start? Do this carefully as fuel may spew out everywhere.

Old 04-10-12, 09:25 PM
I don't think I tried it with the lines all the way off. I tried with the lines attached to the injector pump but off of the injectors and no fuel comes out. The Lines are not clogged I tested them with brake cleaner. fuel goes from the tank to the pump to the filter that looks like a oil filter with a drain at the bottom then goes to the injector pump. We have fuel up to that point. It goes into the injector pump and comes of a screw hole at the base of the injector pump but nothing comes out of the lines at the top of the injectors. I hear the shut off solenoid click on a off with a lever that moves near the injector pump.

Old 04-11-12, 03:33 AM
Does it come out of the injector pump outlet under pressure, or just passive draining through the screw hole? Your injector pump may be toast. Not pretty. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up anywhere ahead of the injector pump? I have one on my Cummins, but they have a high rate of failure on the lift pumps, so it is imperative that you keep an eye on the pressure TO the injector pump or you'll burn it out. Been there for about $1700.

Old 04-11-12, 05:05 PM
It comes out of the screw hole during cranking only but stops when i stop cranking so it comes out like a garden hose. but this is at the base of the injector pump where the main line goes into a elbow that goes into the injector pump so it's not really part of the injector pump. For giggles I got the 3 injectors and the injector pump for the heck of it sitting in a bucket of diesel fuel incase they are gummed up. digging around I found out the last time anyone tried to start this machine was 4 or 5 years ago without success and who knows how long its been sitting before then. The tank was empty when i got around to it and put about 2 gallons in it so the fuel is fresh.

Old 04-11-12, 05:08 PM
So is the rust and trash in the tank I have had to chase a piece of trash I picked up when I let my tank get too low from the lift pump, through the fuel filter, past the fuel pressure gauge fittings, into the injector pump then out to the injectors. What a pain. Seems your blockage is in the injector pump since that is where the fuel stops flowing.

Search this Thread