Gps

Old 04-16-12, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gps

One of the kids recently got my wife a GPS for her car. We went out of town this past weekend and got to use it. Over all it was helpful although it did insist that we drive across a missing bridge and when we didn't, to turn around and try again The other thing is we were halfway thru Ohio when we finally figured out what town Tah lah duh was - Toledo. I wonder if any of the folks in that part of Ohio have a TomTom

It even has a map of my gravel driveway although when you punch the 'home' icon it questions whether you really want to go there because it's an unpaved road

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
We don't have one, but Santa Claus gave our daughter one at Christmas. She started a new job cross-state, that involves local travel daily, and it's really helped her. Santa's Helper got to play with it before wrapping and I was impressed.

Old 04-16-12, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a Garmin 1450 and it will even route you around traffic snarls. I can't wait until the next time I go through Atlanta............yes I can.

Old 04-16-12, 03:28 PM
I have a Garmin 1490T and won't leave home without it - if I already don't know the route anyway. It takes a little getting used to but I like most of the features. However, it can be a distraction if you are in heavy traffic and watching the GPS for an upcoming turn instead of watching the road/signs.

Our first GPS took us to a dirt road Canadian border crossing that had been closed a couple of years.

Old 04-16-12, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Out here, there are at least 4-6 incidents every year where tourists followed the rental car GPS and wound up mired in the desert sand. Some have been fatal.

Electronics will never overrule common sense for me.

Old 04-16-12, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hear you Vic ......... why do you think we didn't cross that missing bridge

Old 04-16-12, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
tourists followed the rental car GPS and wound up mired in the desert sand.
Hey, TG, this calls for some positive marketing. Head them to the beach. Your sand is like powdered sugar and they would mire up in a minute. Just do some work on the unit to make it steer them there, and you got income for a lifetime

Old 04-16-12, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
I have a TomTom and it is great! It is only as good as the newest map, which sometimes takes a while to show up. I really like when I'm at a job and don't know what is around for lunch. Punch up the POI's and find the closest food around me. Mine does not have the traffic but does have lifetime maps.

Black Friday is the best time to get one if your in the market. Went that Friday evening after the crazys were gone. They still had tons left.

Old 04-17-12, 11:22 AM
I guess they all have good, and bad sides. My wife friend has one, I don't know what kind. But took a trip some where, it got her there just fine, but it couldn't get her home just fine, she had to brake out a map.

Old 04-17-12, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
I have a GPS...but I still have a Rand-McNally atlas in both cars.

Old 04-17-12, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
I don't have one but my parents each have one in their car (factory installed, not aftermarket). The old man's runs off a disc and can get outdated but my mom's is updated on the fly and it shows road construction and other such things which makes it very handy.

Old 04-17-12, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I understood correctly, my wife's TomTom is updated on the internet but while I went thru that process and it claimed it was updated - it failed to know about a missing bridge and closer to home it showed us driving off the pavement by about 100 yards. That interchange was changed [completed] 2-3 yrs ago.... but overall it still made the trip a little easier.