Cash, check or card?

Old 05-15-12, 11:16 AM
Cash, check or card?

One of my favorite rants.

I'm standing in the checkout line during a very busy time at the supermarket. There are two ladies in front of me. The first opts to pay for her groceries with a check. But she can't find her pen. The cashier offers her one, she declines "I know it's in here somewhere" as she rummages through her 5 gallon purse full of who knows what. Then once she finds the pen she has to fill out the check - something that could have been done ahead of time. She also takes the time to fill in the check register while the rest of us are waiting.

After the check lady comes the cash lady. Once again rummaging in her purse, first to find her wallet, then to find some crumpled up singles that she just knew were in there hidden amongst the used tissues and cosmetics. Then it's digging through a coin purse to get the exact amount of change - including the pennies. This after the cashier told her to help herself to the convenient tray of pennies put there just because of people like her.

When the cashier rang my order I simply swiped my card and punched in my PIN and I was done. It probably took one tenth of the time.

IMO checks should be outlawed as payment in stores and cash sales should be rounded to the nearest dollar. At least for rude, clueless women with 5 gallon purses.

Rant concluded.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-12, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not against people using checks but I get angry when the person stands there looking out the window until the total is announced and only then do they get out the checkbook and start filling out the check.

Same applies for cash or cards though as well - don't stand there idle and only get the wallet out when the total is provided.

Old 05-15-12, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well...it gets to me too...and just happened the other day. I find the majority of people who do that (not just women) are older/elderly and want that record of purchases. They've been doing it that way for 50 yrs and aren't going to change now.

Not much different than the person who doesn't have their discount and debit/credit card out before the total. Or the folks that just can't figure out how to swipe and touch the right buttons or use the wrong PINs.

I just let it slide off and think..."Sometime in the future....that might be me".

Old 05-15-12, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
You forgot the guy at the bank drive up that doesn't beginning filling out his forms till he gets remote teller console. Then spend ten minutes reconciling his accounts after he has finished his transaction before pulling away from the remote teller console.

Old 05-15-12, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Yep, forgot all about that - I work in a skyscraper so I just go downstairs to the bank

Old 05-15-12, 01:06 PM
I write out a maximum of one check a month.

Even for a $4.00 breakfast, I always use a credit card for a quick in and out to make room for the people that order behind me and then suddenly decide they have to pay and find the exact change or a check. My purchase costs no more than theirs and McDonald's makes more money because I am in and out of the line fast.

The people at the express line that are not prepared to pay are the ones I hate. I try to use the automated express check-out when there is no one with obvious coupons in their hands. - I let my wife do the coupon things since I go to buy from my list (post-it in my billfold, not wallet because my cash bills get 'folded") and she is a "recreational shopper" that spends as much time as possible and buys what is really not needed. - She is from the east and buys
"soda" and I am from everywhere (Midwest mainly) and I buy "pop".

I don't bother to go to the bank since everything is electronic or I can always find a free of charge ATM for the rare cash since there is always a Wells Fargo around here. - Why make life more complicated and frustrating?

Dick

Old 05-15-12, 01:54 PM
Mcd's makes less money on a credit card transaction because the credit card company gets a cut. So please start using cash so they can increase my dividend payments. BTW, I mostly use my credit card. Gotta get those points!

Old 05-15-12, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't like using credit cards. Been in trouble with them before, and I can't handle them. I do use my debit card. Money is there or it isn't. I can buy stuff or I can't. Once I swipe the card, presto bingo, it's gone!! I don't write checks much. Do all bill paying online. Wifey likes her airline credit card. We travel on her points She is good about it though. Pays it off promptly, then charges it up to the hilt again.
Oh, Dick, BTW.....men "buy", women "shop"......big difference. Before I get in the doors of the store, I know the aisle and just about exactly where the item I need is located.

Old 05-15-12, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
We do checks about 3 times a year. Mostly pay with credit cards and pay it off each month and pay our bills online. Cash sales with person to person transactions where cash talks or small Mom and Pop shops to save them the 3%.

I love it when people write a check, the cashier scans it and hands it back to them. They then stand there with a dumbfounded look on their faces.

I actually like to "shop". That is how I find out about new products or products that are new to me.

Old 05-15-12, 03:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I almost always use a credit card but I also make sure I can pay in full when the bill comes. I've had credit cards for over 30 yrs and I probably haven't paid more than $50 total in interest

I haven't had a debit card in yrs, apparently if you don't use them every so often they cancel them. The grocery store is one of the few places that I write a check. I usually have it all filled out but the amount by the time the groceries are rung up..... but sometimes I forget

My wife is also a 'recreational shopper'

Old 05-15-12, 03:50 PM
I never had trouble with my credit card. I prefer them over debit because they have better fraud protection. I also don't have to worry about how much money is in the account when I am spending. My spending habits don't always line up the same way as the pay days. Plus When the CC bill comes, I have time to get money out of savings and into my checking if I need to.

Old 05-15-12, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Don't forget the person who decides to pay with change- pours it all out on the counter and proceeds to start to sort his quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies. Worked in a grocery store 25 yrs ago... it happens.

There are also the people who- even though all you have to do is give the cashier the check blank, which they can then stick in the check printing slot that prints out the check for you in about 3 seconds... say they "prefer to do it the old fashioned way". (see Mitch's post above... LOL)

It also gripes me when I use my Discover card at a store and the cashier asks me credit or debit. Ummm, is "Discover" *EVER* set up as a debit card? Please tell me if it is so i can quit getting bent out of shape about that one. LOL

Old 05-15-12, 04:21 PM
I don't understand why they even have to ask that. Shouldn't Visa and MC be figuring that out themselves? I have a debit card for my business and I've used it online when AMEX isn't accepted. They don't ever ask me if it is credit or debit.

Old 05-15-12, 04:25 PM
Brant, just tell them "debit" one time. You'll find out.....along with all the people standing in line behind you On second thought, don't.
Since my "card" is either debit or credit, I found out if the total is less than $25, tell them "credit"...no signing, no pin numbers, zippity doo dah right on through. I did it at Mickey's once. Hey, wifey thought she needed my cash more than I did!! I would NEVER charge a $2.79 big mac normally.

Old 05-15-12, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Remember one thing when using a card at your local good guy store for hardware, plumbing or whatever.

A debit is normally a set fee...somewhere around $.45 according to our bike shop friend....credit is a fee plus a percentage based on the amount. It's what they pay for the convenience of being able to offer those types of payment options.

Old 05-15-12, 08:33 PM
McDonalds likes credit cards even if they may make less per transaction, but the cards cut the waiting and can increase the volume and improve the feelings of people in a hurry.

chandler - I am a "buyer" and my wife is a "recreational shopper". If she is shopping, I rarely go in
with her. If she is running in quickly for something, I don't go it and sit in the car with my crossword puzzle book that is always there.

Dick

Old 05-15-12, 08:49 PM
instead of checks cash or cards what about those who go through the self check outs with 3 shopping carts overflowing with stuff.

Old 05-16-12, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I do my best to avoid the self checkout lane. Last time I used one, I was in a hurry and the checkout girl had a long line. I forget what I was buying but I was supposed to get 2-3 cents back in change. It wouldn't give me change or a receipt so I decided I'd let them keep the pennies and receipt..... well they wouldn't let me out the door so back to the self checkout. After the 3rd associate arrived they were able to get my receipt and change - 15 minutes later

Old 05-16-12, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Let us not forget those stores that in violation of their merchant service agreement set a minimum purchase before they will accept a card. My SS is direct deposited so I don't go to the bank most months and seldom have more then loose change and a couple of dollars in my pocket. Want a couple of donuts and a kolache from the Duncan Donuts near my house forget it. More cash then I have and less then they will take a card for.

Old 05-16-12, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhh Ray...that was changed a few years back. Perfectly legal now, sometimes a PITA....but legal........It's the law: Merchants may require up to $10 minimum payments on credit card purchases

Old 05-16-12, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Ahhh Ray... Perfectly legal now
Thanks for the update.

Old 05-16-12, 09:53 AM
instead of checks cash or cards what about those who go through the self check outs with 3 shopping carts overflowing with stuff.
The self checkout is not an express lane.

When they are set up properly, I do prefer them over the cashier because the cashiers tend to use 4 times as many bags as is needed. But this is all moot for me now anyway. My grocery store has a device that I carry around with me. As I fill my cart, I scan each item and bag it. Then I go to the self checkout, scan my store card and pay my bill.

Old 05-16-12, 10:31 AM
Funny, I've never written a personal check. I don't think too many local stores still accept checks here.

I definately a big debit card guy though. Rarely use anything but these days.

Old 05-16-12, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by drooplug
When they are set up properly, I do prefer them over the cashier because the cashiers tend to use 4 times as many bags as is needed. But this is all moot for me now anyway. My grocery store has a device that I carry around with me. As I fill my cart, I scan each item and bag it. Then I go to the self checkout, scan my store card and pay my bill.
Holy do I feel out of date.
We have self check-outs in most of the stores in town, but nothing like you describe.

Old 05-16-12, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
We don't have anything like that where I live yet either, and I live in a big city.
Guess it's coming everywhere eventually.

Old 05-16-12, 11:22 AM
not just the self check outs but why do you need to buy 3 carts worth of stuff at once? spread it out over a couple days. They hold up the regular lines also then they want to check the balance of there credit card before deciding to use another payment then complaining cause the machine charged them when they wanted to check the balance of the card. I witnessed this at a meijers once at a self check out.

Old 05-16-12, 11:53 AM
I think 3 over flowing carts is about what we buy every month.

The scan it as you shop system is awesome. I couldn't believe it when our store got it. I don't know of many places that do have it. The chain is Stop & Shop and Giant. They must save a ton of money by not having cashiers. I've caught myself many times forgetting to scan items I put into my bags. I'm sure I've made it home without paying for something. It's not even like you have to put it on the conveyor at the self check out so it can weigh your bags for verification. Totally awesome.

Old 05-16-12, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
flirty1....if someone is buying 3 carts of stuff...there's probably a reason for it.

When I lived in VA...I often saw people buying that much or more. Sometimes it was fishing boat crews, sometimes firemen, or people who lived in remote areas. Around here people may live 50 miles away on a remote ranch...they might only come into town once every few weeks for supplies and mail.

Heck...even back in OH (40 yrs ago), we knew a family with 6 kids. They bought an entire cart full of milk at a time (put it in the freezer to keep for a few weeks), 1/2 a cart of eggs, 1/2 a cart of bread (freezer again)......let alone the soups, snacks, staples and such. They usually had 5-6 carts.

Ever see that movie, Yours, Mine and Ours from the 60's? If not...you should....it's a classic.

I'd never get in line behind someone with 3 carts...matter of fact I've left my cart and walked out of Wally World when the lines were too long. They are so "organized" they don't have any extra people to put on checkouts.

At my local supermarket...if they get more than 3 people in the open checkouts, they pull managers and cust service people to the registers. Never have to wait more than 5 minutes. Thats why I prefer to go there most times...even if their prices are a bit higher.

Old 05-16-12, 12:16 PM
That reminds me of the family that lived in the bottom of the grand canyon. They may still actually be there. The father worked for the park and got to live in this cabin with his family. I don't recall the exact numbers, but for them to go grocery shopping, they had to hike for like 3 hours to get out of the canyon, then drive another 2 or 3 hours to the grocery store.

Old 05-16-12, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
It's probably longer than 3 hrs drooplug. That was a few yrs back I imagine.

Most supplies are now flown down by helo or pack mule train. My wife almost went on a hike to Supai, but there were scheduling issues.

Old 05-16-12, 03:59 PM
We have 3 major supermarket chains in our area. All three switched over to about 50% self checkout about 10 years ago. One of the 3 offered portable scanners about 2-3 years ago and another started offering them this year. One of the 3 quit using self checkout because they were losing too much money to thieves.

Over the years I've watched several "audits" of self checkout customers. I don't think they realize how closely store security monitors the process.

How long before stores come up with an EZ Pass type of system. Load your cart and just walk out the door. A sensor at the door records your purchases and charges your debit card?
That's really not far fetched. I saw it on a show about micro transponders now in use for tracking materials in a wharehouse.

For myself, I mostly shop in a navy commissary. They have a couple of self checkout registers but they are usually on the fritz. I prefer dealing with the same old wise ass cashier that's been giving me grief for the last 20 years.

Old 05-16-12, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
I mostly use the self checkout so I don't have to talk to anybody. I am mostly crabby/tired from traffic.

Old 05-19-12, 03:24 PM
Using the Drive Up ATM

A friend sent me this. I thought it was appropriate for this thread.

MALE PROCEDURE:
1. Drive up to the cash machine.
2. Put down your car window.
3. Insert card into machine and enter PIN.
4. Enter amount of cash required and withdraw.
5. Retrieve card, cash and receipt.
6. Put window up.
7. Drive off.
FEMALE PROCEDURE:
1. Drive up to cash machine.
2. Reverse and back up the required amount to align car window with the machine.
3. Set parking brake, put the window down.
4. Find handbag, remove all contents on to passenger seat to locate card.
5. Tell person on cell phone you will call them back and hang up.
6. Attempt to insert card into machine.
7. Open car door to allow easier access to machine due to its excessive distance from the car.
8. Insert card.
9. Re-insert card the right way.
10. Dig through handbag to find diary with your PIN written on the inside back page.
11. Enter PIN.
12. Press cancel and re-enter correct PIN.
13. Enter amount of cash required.
14. Check makeup in rear view mirror.
15. Retrieve cash and receipt.
16. Empty handbag again to locate wallet and place cash inside.
17. Write debit amount in check register and place receipt in back of check book.
18. Re-check makeup.
19. Drive forward 2 feet.
20. Reverse back to cash machine.
21. Retrieve card.
22. Re-empty hand bag, locate card holder, and place card into the slot provided!
23. Give dirty look to irate male driver waiting behind you.
24. Restart stalled engine and pull off.
25. Re-dial person on cell phone.
26. Drive for 2 to 3 miles.
27. Release Parking Brake.

Old 05-19-12, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well maybe that's what your wife and your friend's wife do, but I follow the man's procedure.
I can also parallel park with the best of them, drive as good in reverse as forward and I can drive a stick, too! So there!

Old 05-20-12, 03:52 AM
I couldn't wait to post this, and thanks for the drive up window introduction. I was at the bank Friday going through the drive in window. Truck lane was closed for some reason, so I had to squeeze big bird into the remote car lane. One car ahead of me......great!! Lady did exactly what Wayne said, except, after she put the tube in................she fell asleep!!! No kidding. Tube came back, I thought she was dead. Lady in bank looked at me puzzled. She said "can I help you", and the lady woke up. I noted which way she turned and made sure I went the other way.

Old 05-20-12, 04:43 AM
Hahaha. I like that your bank has a "truck lane".

Old 05-20-12, 12:12 PM
Yeah, wide enough so you don't have to fold mirrors and the tube box is at window height. No Ferrari's in that lane!!!