Bag Tax Good Or Bad Idea?

Old 05-16-12, 09:43 PM
Bag Tax Good Or Bad Idea?

In Maryland where I live they wanted to have a a bag tax to both discourage plastic bag use and to help clean the Chesapeake bay. I once saw a show on tv that showed where a great deal of plastic items goes and that is straight into the ocean. It becomes small granules that don't get smaller and fish eat this and it makes them sick.
So I am not against a bag tax as maybe it will help but I know when I go to a store I don't really have time to bring a re-usable bag along although we do have them in our house. I just find them inconvenient to use but wonder if others here think eventually we will have to start using re-usable bags everywhere? Also wonder what you think of the bag tax whether you think it is a good idea or a bad idea? I have mixed feelings about it even though in general I support it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Additional taxes don't make up for individual practices. I have never liked plastic bags, whether it be for environmental reasons or just that they are too small to do anything with. I am old school, I guess, in that I liked paper bags. I know, a tree had to die for it. One store we had locally positioned cardboard boxes they received produce/milk, etc in at one of the checkout lanes. Hey, they were going to crush them anyway, so why not use them to cart off your groceries. You could bring them back or recycle them.

Old 05-17-12, 04:10 AM
The bag tax is BS. I'm all for less waste and improving pollution, but the amount of tax is too small to matter to people. If it were a tax of $1 per bag, then it would work. It's just like the soda tax. No one is going to stop buying soda because it went up 10 cents per can. What the should do is allow those bag to be recycled. I don't know how it is in other parts of country, but they don't want them here in my town. I have no idea why. At least the paper bags are recyclable. A few years ago my wife picked up a few of the reusable bags and that is what we do when grocery shopping.

Old 05-17-12, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our local walmart has 'bin' when you first enter the store for recycling plastic bags. They don't seem to mind if you bring plastic bags with another store's name on it..... or maybe I just never got caught

Like Larry I miss the paper bags. The groceries were always still in the bag when I got home. With plastic bags you either have to tie them shut or hunt what rolled out on the trip home

Old 05-17-12, 05:51 AM
ANY tax is BS. If plastic store bags are such a huge environmental problem why not just eliminate them entirely? It's just another way for money grubbing politicians to squeeze another dollar

About 10 years ago I bought a dozen cloth bags at a grocery store. I think they were $1.50 each. I'm still using them. I didn't buy them out of any great desire to be "green", I just find them so much better than the flimsey plastic bags.

Old 05-17-12, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well....I like plastic bags. I use them for various things around the house, but they still build up on the shelf where I stuff them. When it gets full I either take 'em to one of the stores that has a recycle bin or box...or take them to one of the local charity thrift stores....they're always looking for bags.

The tax, as stated, would do nothing except increase the Gov coffers.

Old 05-17-12, 10:53 AM
This was done in Toronto (Ontario Canada) and has slowly made it's way up to my area. I think Walmart is the only place that still gives out plastic bags for free.
Same as others, I used them for many things, but my use was not as high as the regular accumilation of them.

Now in a very small town, the local grocer uses mostly paper bags, but does offer plastic if asked.
I'll get a mixture of both paper and plastic as I do need the plastic bags for some tasks, but the paper is easy to dispose of (recycle or camp fire starter).

Old 05-17-12, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
We recycle all of our plastic bags. I still get paper bags at the grocery store because I turn them around to be garbage bags in the kitchen.

Old 05-17-12, 01:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember doing that I don't remember the last time I saw a paper bag at the grocery store. I think the last big paper bag I've seen was about 10 yrs ago I bought some lights from a surplus home improvement store and they put them in a paper bag. Bought other items at the same store since but plastic, not paper bags

Old 05-19-12, 09:59 PM
I am basically of the same mind as everyone else I also think the tax of plastic bags will be abused and that has be shown to be true in the District Of Columbia. In D.C. the tax money the press has found out has been used for everything but helping the environment. Things like school books and other things has been paid for with this money. Nothing bad like vacations people are not entitled too but not what it was originally intended for either.
One thing it has done though is it has made people think twice especially in a very weak economy with prices being high enough as it is. Probably though at least in my state it will eventually be state wide and not just in one county like it is now. Well I can tell you one thing those reusable bags are strong. I went for a walk down to our local organic food store and had a fairly heavy load to carry in one bag. I have also found out too they can be washed if they get dirty and still hold up well. I wouldn't even think of trying a real heavy load with a plastic bag.

Old 05-19-12, 10:27 PM
I use the plastic bags for trash bag. I got 4 frames I picked up at the dollar store, made to hold the bags open, and up right. You just need to check the bags, before you use them for holes.

Old 05-20-12, 04:37 AM
The bags are strong, that's why I would load them to the hilt when I used them at the grocery store. But the employees never would and that bothered me. They would put a bottle of washign machine detergent in a bag on it's own. What's the point of that? Or only put four canned goods in one bag.

Old 05-20-12, 03:41 PM
drooplug, the reason they do, unless you tell them different. They are trained not to mix thing together. Like food items, with non-food items. You could go to the store, buy 3 or 4 items, and end up with 3 or 4 different bag depending on what you bought. I tell them to put it all in one bag, or no bag at all, if I just have one thing. Like most of you I have more then enough bags at home.

Old 05-20-12, 11:57 PM
The plastic bags too drooplug are really not all that strong. I have had things break through like liquid detergent for instance. One time I was almost all the way down the stairs when the dumb plastic bag broke and we had detergent on the floor. I don't think we lost all of the detergent just some of it but it sure taught me a lesson. I will never do that again and now when I do go to the store for detergent I tell them to double bag the detergent if I notice only one bag. The checkers are better trained now but you still need to watch them.

Old 05-21-12, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
I think the whole thing is because of the handles. Plastic is convienient that you can carry them easily.

Paper does not have them, or will rip easy if they do.

Like wayne I bought the large canvas bags from the local aldi store and use them.

Its very hard not to be dependant on plastic bags such as for garbage, leaves etc.

Anyway the documentary is called "BAG IT" Its on Netflix and most other streaming pay services.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRjPkl_4lmM Mike NJ

Old 05-21-12, 01:34 PM
Thanks for sharing the clip Lawrosa it kind of sums up what I feel about the issue of plastic bags and other plastic things. I personally don't think we will ever get completely away from plastic and probably shouldn't like in the case of the hard hat shown in the video but I think everyone including myself could do more things to help reduce the amount of plastic we use. I will have to see if this is available to see for free and certainly hope more people see this I am sure it is very thought provoking and may change peoples minds on the subject.

Old 05-21-12, 01:56 PM
The plastic bags I have used have been very strong. I've easily loaded them with 30 pounds or more. The only time it has been a problem is if the bag gets cut by the edge of a canned good.

Old 05-22-12, 04:06 PM
I agree with you drooplug but some bags just are not all that strong especially it seems from a pharmacy. I know we used to have Peapod deliveries and my what strong bags they were and they were made of plastic. On the other hand we had deliveries from Safeway at one time too and they sent real flimsy bags. So it all depends on where you go or who you get deliveries from. The thing that gets me though is the District at least is charging the bag tax for paper bags too which will decompose much faster. Luckily I don't live there and they didn't want to do that in Maryland.

Old 05-23-12, 05:08 PM
Ohhh gets better Instead of a bag tax L.A is banning plastic bags

Los Angeles Approves Plastic Bag Ban

Old 05-25-12, 08:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think many missed the irony of banning plastic bags to save the environment forgetting about all the space that paper bags take up in a landfill or don't degrade either.

Old 05-25-12, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
One other thing.....I'd just about bet that paper bags cost more to produce, cost more to ship, take up more space in storage, etc, etc.

Also....stores will have to be retrofitted since most of them no longer have the checkout stands set up for paper. Look at most (all?) WalMarts....the have the little spinning carousels with hundreds of bags on the frames. What are they going to do? Have pallets of paper bags at each checkout?

Old 05-25-12, 10:28 AM
They will probably force you to buy those reusable cloth bags. As for paper bags why not make them out of recycled paper to help the environment. Get paper bags with handles.

Old 05-25-12, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't doubt the bags are partly made from recycled paper already. Paper bags can be recycled and used for other things like book covers. Instead of buying speciallty made paper to make book covers. That's what I used when I was in school.

Old 05-25-12, 04:06 PM
Guys - Buy a half dozen or so of the cloth grocery bags. They are cheap. Within a few weeks you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. They are so easy to use (hold more, don't tear, more comfortable handles, reusable . . .) you'll wonder why it took you so long to switch.

Again, I didn't buy them because of any great concern about the environmental impact of plastic, I just thought the store plastic bags sucked and the paper ones were too hard to carry.

Old 05-25-12, 06:39 PM
I agree, Wayne. I detest plastic bags because when I set them down all the contents fall out. The idea that you can use those cheap plastic bags for garbage or used kitty litter is laughable because at least 50% of the plastic bags I used to get had holes in them.

I bought several insulated, reusable bags from a surplus company years ago and gave some away as gifts. With the exception of my sister everyone welcomed the bags. They are larger than the average reusable bag and have a Velcro closure. Store clerks are always complementing me on my bags and asking where I bought them. I don't know how the surplus place got them but I now find them in many of the "junk" catalogs sent through the mail. Cost is around six bucks each and well worth it in my opinion.

Old 05-25-12, 11:20 PM
I agree about the kitty litter I used to use plastic bags for that and always had holes in the bag. Finally towards the last two years or so of my last cat I thought litter box liners that will save me time and they could be used like a trash bag as they had a plastic tie string. Didn't work out too well though as she always seemed to tear a hole in it.
At the organic food store I go to they have paper bags with handles and will give you a bag credit each time you bring back a bag of theirs or any reusable bag. They used to sell reusable bags and think they still do but for real cheap. I think they were around two dollars but it has been a while too since I bought any from there. This store isn't required by law to give the bag credit it is just what this very small chain of stores wanted to do to encourage people to reuse bags. They don't even carry bottled water anymore in plastic nor do they have many other products in plastic containers. I did a little bit of a search on their website and you can read about their ideas about plastic containers and recycling by going to the search results page here Search Results - plastic . It isn't a huge store but has more than enough food there for what we need. I like organic foods better too I think they have a better taste. Of course I know there are some who will say nonsense and actually for some foods I agree with you it just depends.

Old 05-26-12, 10:46 PM
I can't use the litter box liners has my cats like to chew on the plastic bags. I also use the ones from the store to put the dirty litter in. The bags I get at meijer are pretty strong while some from other stores are thin.

Old 05-31-12, 06:48 AM
One option to the bag tax - no bags at all.