Towing Charge

Old 05-17-12, 11:35 AM
Towing Charge

Son took my car and boat into the wilderness of the BWCA. Couple miles before the landing the front wheel started smoking and stinking like crazy. Poured a few beers on it to cool it down and made it to the lake.

I brought tools to remove the caliper and drive it home till he told me the wheel clicks when you move it. Boiled the grease from the wheel bearing??

Seeing the last 25 miles of this road had absolutely no shoulders to pull off if you had a problem I decided to have it towed on a flatbed. (rear wheel drive)

What I don't get is they only charge you for the miles towed, 75, even though he had to drive 150 miles to do it.

I haven't needed a wrecker in about 40 years so I'm wondering if $270 with a flatbed for 75 miles is about right. Seemed a little high but the peace of mind of having it home was worth it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
I don't really have a clue, but it seems cheap to me for that distance. Having a car towed around here, just to the nearest repair place, can cost $75 to $100.

Old 05-17-12, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
I'm sure Tow_Guy will be more accurate...but to me that sounds pretty darn cheap.

I drove one about 30 yrs ago. I remember one specific tow from around Long Beach to the other side of LA...about 40 miles north. I know it took me almost 2 hours there and back. It was something like $140...biggest charge I'd ever had. And that was on the hook....normally flatbeds are more expensive I think?

Old 05-17-12, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
The longest tow I ever needed was about 30 miles and it was well over $100 and more than ten years ago.

As Vic said, Tow Guy will have actual numbers but this sounds reasonable to me.

Old 05-17-12, 12:44 PM
Baldwin -

I am familiar with the area, facilities and miles between available businesses/services, the 150 miles round trip is not excessive whether it was a local towing operator or one in your area because the total difference would really not be much different considering the dead-end haul.

Peace of mind and having local control over the repairs is worth a reasonable charge. How did you get the boat back?

If it was last week (opening of the fishing season) the rates and service are non-negotiable unless you know the person towing because he will never have an opportunity to serve you again. - Almost as bad as -20F in the winter.

Does the auto insurance cover towing and road service?

Dick

Old 05-17-12, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Poured a few beers on it to cool it down and made it to the lake.
[LEFT]
Thats a disgrace to humanity and all man kind...

Mike NJ

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-18-12 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 09:06 AM
I am familiar with the area, facilities and miles between available businesses/services, the 150 miles round trip is not excessive whether it was a local towing operator or one in your area because the total difference would really not be much different considering the dead-end haul.

Yeah, they were up the road a ways. They put in at Moose Lake landing then take the truck portage into Basswood. I drove up with my pickup and hauled the boat home....no towing insurance.

I don't know what I was thinking. Tow was out of Tower (about the middle) and I thought he would have to drive a lot farther. NO! If you start on this end, the middle or the other end, you still drive 150 miles. Guess I should have stayed in school.

Yes Vic, the flatbed is a bit more. Fancy vehicle, remote control for the winch and bed. Driver told me it was going to cost him 12k to install something so he could pull to the side. Considering it probably cost him close to a hundred for diesel it was cheap.

Pulled the tire off last night, it turned fine and no clicking. Figured the rotor would be blue and maybe warped.....looked fine to me. Not sure what to think now.

Old 05-18-12, 10:14 AM
I've put in at Moose Lake and usually went east at a portage about 1/2 way up, but have done the motorized portage to Basswood.

That is great country and is well managed to keep the use to a reasonable limit. I have been on several week long canoe trips, drank the lake water and saw someone every day or so. The returns out were long (35 miles with many portages over a 12 hour return) and we were glad to be back in the car, so we never considered a car problem(dumb) before our 300 mile drive all night to get home.

There are certainly not a lot of services at times, but the people are basically very honest and tell it like it is.

Dick

Old 05-18-12, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
Alcohol abuse!

Not a bad price. My wholesale rate right now (that just about everyone gets) is $39 + $3/mile so 75 miles would be $264. My tow buddy who I refer the flatbed stuff to (mine's a wheelift) has a retail rate of $52 + $3/mi = $277. You didn't mention if they also hauled the boat along behind the flatbed while the vehicle was up on the bed; would usually be an extra charge for that. All in all, made out okay at what you paid.

Oops, just noticed you mentioned the boat.

Interesting story about a guy from up your way (MN). Had a guy stop me in the Lowe's parking lot a couple of weeks ago and ask me for a price to use my boom/winch to take a large safe off a trailer and put it in his garage; easy question - $90/hr with a $45 minimum (30 min). The minimum is nearly always the charge. After some discussion he basically said thanks anyway, but he's never paid more than $30 to do a job like that. He made it sound like towing and related services could be had for much less up north. After which he launched into a long boring, albeit calm, diatribe about how everything is sooo expensive in Florida.

Old 05-19-12, 03:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
After which he launched into a long boring, albeit calm, diatribe about how everything is sooo expensive in Florida.
We just tell the snowbirds, "Delta is ready when you are. They can have you and Fifi in Miami by sundown".

Old 05-19-12, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
Land of 10,000 lakes (really we have over 15K) and they pour beer on it? No water to be found?

Old 05-19-12, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
I think they're frozen 10 months of the year.

Old 05-19-12, 09:14 AM

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard, it's only about 9 months.

I read a story about a month ago where an old dude, 65 I think, was dragged into the water up to his waist whilst retrieving his golf ball from a pond by this little sweetheart:

He is one lucky guy being able to tell about it. Imagine, being eaten alive playing a round of golf.

Old 05-19-12, 09:24 AM
My bad, he is 75. Nope, I'll stay up here and get eaten by a polar bear instead.

75-Year-Old Man Bitten, Dragged by Alligator at a Golf Course Pond | TheLedger.com

Old 05-19-12, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
If that was only true. I would be in heaven. Temps are already above my comfort zone.

Old 05-19-12, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
We see small gators in the ponds while we're playing golf all the time; never seen one that big on a course.

Alligator, it's all over in seconds; polar bear might gnaw on you for days.