Going to ask the previous home owner for repair list (so frustrated)

Old 05-22-12, 11:59 AM
Going to ask the previous home owner for repair list (so frustrated)

I know a few of you might have seen my posts throughout the forum about my 1937 former nun convernt.
Since moving into it in December, everything I know the previous owner had done in the ~5years of ownership, I have had to, or am in the process of fixing. What makes things worse is the amount of effort I need to put into undoing his work.

If you where in my shoes, would you go asking for a list of renos he had done so you could use it as a repair checklist?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-12, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't expect an honest or complete answer.

Old 05-22-12, 12:13 PM
They where pretty up front when we where buying the house as to what they had done and what had been done prior to their purchase. Everything I remember him or his wife pointing out was done wrong.

Will be worth trying as long as I can refrain from calling it my "to be fixed" list.

Old 05-22-12, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
I would do the best you can to make sure you're not presenting an image that makes them think you have any intention of suing them for this.

Old 05-22-12, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Since you asked, no I wouldn't. I'm sure they don't want to be bothered like that. I know I wouldn't. You probably wouldn't get an answer anyway and you may get a threat to leave them alone.
We moved into a house like that and we just fix or change things as needed and as we went along.

Old 05-22-12, 12:27 PM
Definately not going into this looking to sue. Actually, with the sale of the house listed "As is", I don't see how I could if I wanted too.

I more or less what to identify everything that needs to be looked at and or adressed before I run into real issues.
Point and case being my water issues. Was following the copper pipe in the basement to discover the hotwater tank was connected to a point in the system where it was unfiltered well water (high iron). I just dropped a lot of money on new appliances because the water destroyed them (dishwasher, washer and dryer, circulation pumps for the boiler, etc). I had thought it was the water softener not working correctly, but it wasn't just the water softener.

Old 05-22-12, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
I would think if you asked in a manner like "What was it like when you moved in? Was it original? Or did you find a lot of updates? Did you change any original stuff?" Phrased in a way where you are trying to get the history of the place...I'd think you'd get honest answers.

I'm with you...as-is or it was inspected and you accepted it....well...it is what it is.

I wonder if the owners of my old house have had the walk in shower (that I totally botched) re-done yet? It was no worse than what the builder did...but it sure wasn't any better. Who knew 8x8 glazed tile on the shower floor was a bad idea?

Old 05-22-12, 03:57 PM
I am with Gunguy45 I think if you ask about the history of the place and the previous owners and what they were like I think you would get to know more about what they did. Of course you already know some of its history but if you ask in a manner that you want to know more maybe you will get more information. Maybe they might even have drawings of your house or blueprints they will at least let you look at if they are not too far away. Good luck to you!

Old 05-22-12, 04:41 PM
I agree with Shadeladie. I sold my previous house because I was tired of dealing with all the problems. I don't want anyone coming back asking about it.

Old 05-23-12, 06:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
My Two Cents....

If the request was not asked in the escrow papers prior to closing, house was listed "AS-IS" and you did not have your home inspector inspect the house and property prior to closing, the seller now has no legal obligation to provide information you're requesting....

Here in my state, I am presently in process of selling parents house as a trustee. Listed AS-IS but that does not mean seller has no obligations. House must meet all local and state codes. Plus lenders (Bank) requirements, termite inspections, one year protection plan at my costs, damages, etc. Only items excluded are finishing touches like carpets, paint inside and out and a whole lot more I too was unaware of and non required upgrades, etc. Costing me thousands of bucks...

Glad I have an attorney overseeing everything for me.......

Old 05-23-12, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the input.
I was going to ask in a friendly manner and not with a lawyer in tow.
I knew buying the house it had a few minor (simple) issues with it that I had spotted when we viewed it (multiple times). It is an old, very large house and because of the location (outside of town), I got it for less then half of it's market value (1/5th it's rebuild value).
More or less, a lot of the cover ups/ value raiser things they did actually am causing me more issues then had they not done them.
For example, not insulating the new windows they installed probably has a less R value then the original windows from the 1930's.
Using chocolate brown paint on the deck instead of stain, in less then 6 months, it's worn away in the high traffic areas and pealing else where.
Tapping the hotwater tank into an unfiltered/softened line from the well. All water based appliances had to be replaced and until I caught the issue, I was damaging the new ones.
The interior french doors they installed between the living room and dining room are falling off (frame and all) after a quick round with my 2yrs old.

Long story short, I'm not going to tear a strip off them. Just going to ask nicely (using the tips below) what work they had done in the short time they owned the house.

I hope they at least used the proper paint when they painted the exterior of the house.

Old 05-23-12, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Sharp Advice
My Two Cents....

If the request was not asked in the escrow papers prior to closing, house was listed "AS-IS" and you did not have your home inspector inspect the house and property prior to closing, the seller now has no legal obligation to provide information you're requesting....

Here in my state, I am presently in process of selling parents house as a trustee. Listed AS-IS but that does not mean seller has no obligations. House must meet all local and state codes. Plus lenders (Bank) requirements, termite inspections, one year protection plan at my costs, damages, etc. Only items excluded are finishing touches like carpets, paint inside and out and a whole lot more I too was unaware of and non required upgrades, etc. Costing me thousands of bucks...

Glad I have an attorney overseeing everything for me.......
We have it a bit easier here, which is good and bad.
There use to be a disclosure forum that had been included by realtors here, but because of the mess around a lawsuit a couple years ago, realtors and lawyers avoid it's use.

Beyond that, you can do the sale based on conditions met (available finances, home inspection, etc).
We had available finances and inspection as our conditions, but ended up opting for a buyer's inspection once I noted Mike Holmes was ~$1600 (plus travel I'm guessing).
With my father (licensed electrician) and myself (armed with research info regarding the boiler, etc), we did a pretty solid walk through of the 4100sqft (total living space) place.
We probably should have opted for the Mike Holmes inspection, but I don't know if we could have cut the cost of repairs (and inspection) out of the sales price, and we both wanted the place.
All the core items had been covered (new shingles, electrical, windows/doors), and the stuff we did find where mostly minor. The size of the place sure made it hard to catch all the half ass work and probably would have taken Mike a day or two to do a full (in and out) inspection.

On the up side, the owners before the folks we bought it from, had done a lot of insulation and a few other items, which I have noted to be done good or great.

Old 05-23-12, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Well...when I sold my house in VA and moved here...I found quite a bit of stuff I thought the new owners might want. Plat drawings, original builder brochure with interior layout and options, manuals for furnace, a/c, and appliances...all that typical stuff from when I bought the house. It got packed up in our haste to get out of there. Even forgot to take a GDO remote out of one of the cars.

So when I found it...I packaged it all up and mailed it to my Real Estate agent and asked her to drop it off and if they had any questions to please give her a list and I would try to answer. I preferred not to have any direct contact if possible.

She sent me an e-mail with a thank you for all the information and a few questions they had.... when the deck was added, if I had ever got an estimate to have the spa repaired, what a certain switch did, etc...nothing big.

When I had been here for about 6 months I got a similar package of documentation from the trustees of the estate we bought this house from. They included a note that said if we had any questions they'd try to help, though they had never lived here.

Old 05-23-12, 08:52 AM
Gunguy45,

I never got a chance to meet the young couple that bought my house from me. The wife did meet them when he came by the house to get some insurance photos (before moving in) when the house was empty.
As you did, I left every manual I had and even left post-it notes with info on items that I thought they needed to know. I may have taken a bit too much pride in the old place as it was the house I had grown up in, and later bought from my parents. Between my father and myself, we did all the work as if we where going to live there forever.
Still jealous they got what was almost my dream garage. Was a bit small to be the dream garage, but it was setup to be a perfect year round work space with beer fridge, heat and a stereo.

This house we bought was a 'For sale by owner' deal through a company called Property Guys. Also being a small town, I have met pretty much everyone that had done any work on the house in the past and even folks that had been in the house back when it was still a convent. It's the renos the previous owner had done themselves that I don't have any record of other then the info they mentioned while trying to sell us the house.