what was she thinking?

Old 05-25-12, 11:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
what was she thinking?

My wife went out and bought a new couch, love seat and chair - I went to pick it up today. I didn't pay a lot of attention while they loaded it on my truck and my stepson's truck but when I got home I realized how big they were. The couch was over 8' long, love seat a little over 6' and the chair is over 4' wide.

1st off that's too much furniture for our living rm, 2nd the only way to get that couch in the house would be to remove the picture window in the dining rm

Had to make a 2nd trip to the store to return the oversized couch. She doesn't like shopping for big ticket items with me because I always point out why something won't work in our house. Just because it looks great in a show room doesn't mean it will in our house.... or in this case even fit!

Been trying to train her for 15+ yrs - still got a long ways to go

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-12, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't think of buying furniture without having measured the room and then the furniture as well but I'm guessing you would be the same as me

Old 05-25-12, 06:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Been working on two houses with lofts. Stairs are fine, but you aren't getting furniture up any of them. So far the furniture delivery guys are having to hoist it up and over the railing of the loft. Luckily I can just shake my head. Mark, explain to her....showrooms are BIIIGGG, our living room is SMAALLLLL! You can't put a 10 lb butt in a 5 lb pair of pants!! Simple

Old 05-26-12, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
But Larry, "if it looks pretty" I don't know how many clothes my wife has bought over the years because they looked nice and then got home to find out they were either too tight or too big. If I'm with her while she is clothes shopping I'll tell her she better try it on first.... sometimes she tells me to "go wait in the car"

Old 05-26-12, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Why a manufacture would make a couch that doesn't fit through a 36" door is beyond me.

You know Mark, you could tear out that wall and make the living room bigger. This is the DIY site you know.

Old 05-26-12, 11:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The couch would make it thru the 36" door but couldn't make the turn from the foyer into the living rm...... but irregardless it would still be too big for the living rm. I have considered removing the picture window in the dining rm and installing a door and deck - but that's a lot of work and isn't a high priority.

Old 05-26-12, 05:33 PM
If your not going to listen, then why ask. Awhile ago my mother inn law, wanted a bigger mattress. I told her to make sure it was a 2 piece box spring, other wise it would never fit up the stairs. Well she got the one piece, and it is just setting there on the front porch.

Old 05-27-12, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
My now ex-wife and I were looking at new houses one time and we came across one which worked pretty well except the stairs to the second floor were narrow and had a switchback in them. I couldn't figure out how we were going to get any furniture up there so we left....

Old 05-27-12, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Luckily I can just shake my head
OK, shook my head too early. One client had me extend the headroom header 2' toward the end of the stairs. Not rocket science, but they can move some furniture up there without headroom problems. It was a problem anyway, since the header and step below it were only 5'6" apart. Now a full 7' vertical.