Roundabout

Old 05-29-12, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Roundabout

They installed a roundabout when Wallyworld was built in the adjacent county. I think it was the first one in the mountain area. We're getting used to it, though.
HOWEVER, how do you cope with this:

Attachment 758

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-12, 03:54 AM
That is messed up. All the small ones are backwards.
I would really question the whole setup as it looks like just a way to waste space.

Old 05-29-12, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe they're proud of that light pole and what everyone to get a look see
A nearby town has an intersection something like that - fortunately I only go there once every few years.

Old 05-29-12, 04:26 AM
They are all backwards. It is probably in England or some other backwards driving country. I had to study the direction of the vehicles to even determine that.

Old 05-29-12, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
That's the most complex one I've ever seen. We only have one in our area and it's about 10 miles up the road where I rarely have to deal with it. On the plus side, visited daughter this weekend on the other side of state and they have a roundabout that is about the smartest design I've seen; in addition to the classic roundabout section, each corner has essentially a right turn lane so that if you are only going one "leg" of the roundabout you don't have to actually enter the circle - very smart.

Larry, you get some of that rain we sent your way?

Old 05-29-12, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
That's hilarious! I assume the HEAVY dotted lines mean that approaching traffic has to stop or yield?

They are building them here too and it drives me absolutely NUTS to be behind someone who stops and waits and waits and waits to enter the roundabout when either no one is coming or the person who WAS coming has already exited the roundabout. They put one on a major highway intersection near the edge of this one town, and it's really stupid to be going 50mph one second, and then come to a complete halt behind some idiot who doesn't know how to enter a roundabout.

They also built one in another town that has a radius that is so tight that their long firetrucks can't get around it. THAT's good planning.

Old 05-29-12, 02:47 PM
TG, yeah we're getting a little of it. Sure had my Stepson worried a little. They live in Charleston, but it seemed to pass south and into Jax area. Just looked at the weather in motion map. I have a "push pin" for our location. There's a small yellow mass that looks as if it is being held in place by the push pin circling forever.

Old 05-29-12, 05:14 PM
This entire conversation stupifies me. Here in NJ, we call them "traffic circles", or "circles" for short. Ever since I can remember (33 years), NJ has been slowly getting rid of the circles because they are really dangerous. They worked real well when there weren't too many people traveling the roads. I just can't believe other states are installing new ones.

The one in the picture is awful. It should be one large circle, not 15. Ireland is big on roundabouts. I was driving through a small village T intersection, and they had painted an 18" diameter white circle in the center of it that you had to drive around.

Old 05-29-12, 08:03 PM
Boy am I glad they didn't want to do that in my neighborhood. At on time where I live they had thought of having a mini circle and everyone here thought they were crazy. Kind of reminds me of some of the circles in Washington D.C. but even those are not as bad as that.

Old 05-29-12, 08:23 PM
We've got roundabouts in abundance here in Australia. They are GREAT! They speed up the flow of traffic everywhere here, and made a lot of intersections safer. That one however is stupid! It only ever works with a single island.

There was an intersection here about 5 years ago that had an average of 3 accidents a year. But since installing the roundabout 5 years ago there hasn't been a single accident.

It is really interesting hearing the thoughts of somewhere where there aren't many roundabouts.

Old 05-30-12, 03:32 AM
Kristiani, welcome again. You gotta consider, our engineers are guessing, at best, when they lay out these things. I am sure your roundabouts have sufficient space for traffic to circumnavigate. Here, they stick them in a Wal mart parking lot , then expect local rednecks (guilty) to be able to figure them out, when a simple 4 way stop would work. Too much art and not enough practicality, IMO.

Old 05-30-12, 12:27 PM
....complete halt behind some idiot who doesn't know how to enter a roundabout.
I'll have to disagree with that. I've been driving almost 50 years and I've never seen one except on the internet. Perhaps all those idiots you run across haven't seen one either.

As someone said, they probably work great with light traffic but to me it would be a nightmare with heavier traffic. Sorta like merging to the freeway during rush hour only doing it in circles. Yikes.

My son tells me there are a couple of these in New Prague (only ones I know of in MN) and he could make a movie of what some people do when they first encounter one of these. He saw one guy in the winter try and go straight and got stuck in the snow on the circle. NO THANKS!

Old 05-30-12, 02:03 PM
They can only handle so much traffic. The redesigned one near me a few years ago to make it safer, but it also made it less capable of handling large volumes of traffic. There are always backups there. Once again when I was in Ireland, we sat in 30 minutes of traffic delays because of a series of traffic circles. They certainly don't belong on 4 lane highways.