What are people thinking?

Old 05-29-12, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What are people thinking?

Customer says bath fan is not operating. Three switches. One to overhead light, one to fan, one to goshawful heat lamps in ceiling. So I pull the switches.

Attachment 782

Note white (bridge) to grounding screw? Note bare grounding wire connected to the screw of the hot of adjacent switch? Wonder how he didn't energize grounding buss and trip the breaker? Or did he do that and eventually disconnect the grounding wire from the buss? I'll check that in the morning.
No questions, just information for those who may be planning on adapting circuits to fit their needs.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-12, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
So should we call you Holmes Junior?

Old 05-29-12, 05:16 PM
I dunno. I left it all hanging, breaker off. It was "tea" time and I didn't feel like "doing it right" at the moment. House is unoccupied until next weekend.

Old 05-29-12, 06:17 PM
It was "tea" time and I didn't feel like "doing it right" at the moment.
That sounds more like a Beer:30 excuse!

Old 05-29-12, 08:24 PM
Elementary, my dear Watson. And one man's beer:30 excuse is another man's beer:30 reason.

Old 05-30-12, 02:38 AM
Don't drink beer (except an occasional local microbrew), but here in the south we have a delicacy called "sweet tea". If it were alcoholic, I'd be in rehab Try getting sweet tea in New Jersey....not.

Old 05-30-12, 04:23 AM
McDonald's sells sweet tea up here in the North. It's actually not bad -- fresh-brewed, made with real sugar. It's not as good as the nectar that I remember from my days in SC, but it's refreshing.

When the sun's out I make my own. Got me a gallon-size glass jug.

Back on topic: That pic looks like the type of thing I dealt with every time I opened up a box in my house. The attic wiring was a mish-mosh of foot-long construction scraps of THHN and wire nuts.

Old 05-30-12, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, you can add sugar to unsweetened tea but it won't taste right. We stopped for breakfast at Mickey D's in Michigan a few yrs back and I tried to order biscuits and gravy - they looked at me like I was crazy and said "we don't serve any gravy" I guess they thought I was going to order mashed potatoes next

Old 05-30-12, 09:56 PM
It looks like too many switches for the circuits that's for sure. Not sure why they would ever need so many. I doubt this was done by a qualified electrician or if it was maybe the electrician had a beer or two. The McDonald's we usually go to is being remodeled and I think all of them are eventually going to be remodeled. I did a survey a while back that showed some of the ideas for changes. Some were not too bad but I don't know of anyone who likes those really high chairs and tables. I heard this newly remodeled McDonald's will have an upper story but that was just a rumor. If I don't go to another McDonald's I will be without a Bic Mac until August.

Old 05-31-12, 03:45 AM
The circuit size is fine (20 amp with 12-2) The grounding conductors aren't tied together, and why they connected a ground to a live bridge, and a bridge to a grounding screw is beyond me. I did find the grounding conductor in the panel had been removed from the buss. Reconnected it, tied everything back like it should be, and all is well. They went 7 years without a fan, because of stupid. Go figure.

Old 05-31-12, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
Wires have specific places to be connected???

Old 05-31-12, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wiring is simple, just ask my wife. Shortly after she left home she had the cord on something break. Since she had seen her father splice cords on numerous occasions she figured to do the same. She skint back the cord, twisted all the wires together, covered it with electrical tape and plugged it in...... then she learned how to replace a burnt fuse

Old 05-31-12, 05:18 AM
Wires have specific places to be connected???
Yepper, generally the white in the wife's left hand and the black in her right hand.

Definately a concerning setup you found. Specially in a bathroom.

Old 06-03-12, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
The house next door just got rebuilt... again. Second time in 35 years.

Did a very good job this time looks really nice but guess where they put the water heater. They put it outside in a small lean-to built against the back wall. But wait it gets better. Unless I'm blind both stubs I saw sticking out the back wall were PVC*. But wait it gets better. The stubs were about a foot off from where they decided to build the lean two so they just ran the pipes across the outside wall to where they built the lean-to*. But wait it gets better. The house is two story so they ran the vent straight up about eight inches out from the wall and strapped it to the fascia but nobody even eyeballed it let alone using a plumb line so it is at least six inches maybe more out of plumb.

*Foam insulation on the pipes so I can't be sure they used PVC but the stubs I saw sure looked like both had white caps.

Old 06-03-12, 05:56 PM
Ray, I know you don't get brutal cold, but what will they do if it freezes?? Sounds sorta like my friend, Sam. He wasn't from here. Two words he didn't learn in the English language were "plumb" and "level" Not a very handy person.

Old 06-03-12, 06:09 PM
The house next door just got rebuilt... again. Second time in 35 years.
Hurricanes?

Old 06-03-12, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Hurricanes?
No poor construction and lack of upkeep. When I bought my house the house I'm writing about had no working sewer or electric and rented for $15 a month. It was owned by a clown. I didn't know that till I came home from work one day and saw the landlord mowing the lawn still in costume and white face. Talk about a what-the-heck moment. LOL Actually finding out it had no workingsewer might have been more of a what-the-heck moment. Just didn't know what Emily Post would advise on encountering your neighbor having her morning squat in her garden.

Next owner meant well but was strictly winging it. First problem was by the time they got all the rotted wood out all they had was part of the original floor and no walls or roof. It was two stories before they got through and realized they had forgotten to leave room for the stairs.LOL Tried tacking them on out side but they were so shaky they had to keep adding boards till they finally ended up with an unplanned room on the first floor. Real problem though was the T1-11 hardboard siding and then leaving it virtually abandoned with a leaky roof. The current owners had to replace most of the beams and joists and walls and the roof.

Old 06-03-12, 07:46 PM
They went 7 years without a fan, because of stupid.
Ouch! Wonder what it's gonna take to rid that bathroom of mold and mildew?

Old 06-04-12, 09:25 AM
Ray,
Crazy story about the house next door. Hope it's far enough from your place that if/when it has a fire or something, that it doesn't affect your place.

I do wonder however, with all the issues and virtually full rebuilds, why they didn't actually just knock it down and build it from the ground up, properly.
I would have guessed that more money and effort was spent rebuilding an existing troubled place, then it would be to take it down and start fresh.

kind of reminds me of the guy that I met last week who happen to be the guy that bought my old place this past december. It was an older 1950's house which by todays standards, would be considered a starter home.
Not knowing who I was, the guy was going on and on about his plans for the house, and how he was going to totally guy the house main level and rebuild it the way he wanted.
By the end of the conversation, I nicely mentioned that his big plan would probably cost him as much as he had paid for the house. Knowing the house inside and out, I know it's built with true messured wood (2x4s are actually 2in x 4in) and the walls are 1 3/4in plaster with chicken wire in the middle.

Old 06-04-12, 10:15 AM
Sometimes the local building and zoning codes won't allow razing the existing building and starting from scratch but they DO allow remodeling of an existing structure. The company I used to work for had a building initially erected during WWII within less than 100 feet of a small river and the lake the river emptied into. The shorelines management laws absolutely prohibited any new buildings that close to either the river or the lake so the company demolished the interior and three walls of the original building and totally rebuilt it. After that was "bought off" by the governmental agencies the company tore out the last original wall and replaced it. End result was a brand new building.

I'm sure it cost significantly more than tearing down entirely and starting from scratch but it was the only option if they wanted the building in that location.

Old 06-04-12, 10:26 AM
Good point Furd.

I guess that could justify the work on the house next door to Ray.