And people think Monster cables are expensive?

Old 06-02-12, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
And people think Monster cables are expensive?

Take a look at this.....Amazon.com: AudioQuest NRG WEL Signature Series 6 ft AC Power Cable: Electronics

Look at some of there other products at the bottom.

If you have the time....read through some of the reviews. There are some talented humorists out there.

Do people really buy these things?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-12, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
From a negative review:

Sure under most circumstances this is not a hazardous product, and yes, you can power your home with it. But I fear that many of you will neglect a subtle but critical consideration. This is a counter spiral geometry! Nichola Tesla experimented with this once, but quickly abandoned it after discovering the dark side to this configuration... Simply put, by running power through it while the cable is coiled, creates a counter-counter spiral geometry. Tesla did not know this at the time, but if you work out the effect of a current flowing through this configuration using Einstein's field equations, you will quickly find that this will result in space-time itself getting tied up in knots. No, this isn't some mild thing like the frame dragging that earth's rotation causes. This is violent and if let run for too long will rip the very fabric of space apart. Thankfully Tesla recognized that this was just as potentially devastating as his earthquake machine and destroyed all records of his work on this. Sadly these fools

Old 06-02-12, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
I know! Some funny stuff out there...

Old 06-02-12, 08:49 AM
Yes. As like anything else, there is a group of people out there always going for the best sounding audio possible. This is a rich man's game, so I'm sure they get plenty of buyers of that cable.

Old 06-02-12, 09:34 AM
Thanks, Gunny - it was time for a good laugh.

Oh, I hope so! 'Cause you know Jeff Bezos really needs the money.

Old 06-02-12, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
P.T. Barnum's wisdom is confirmed anew.

Old 06-02-12, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Ack...sorry TG...someone called me Gunny.

We let 'em in the Mess of course...but I never claimed to be one.

For those not in the loop...Gunny is a USMC term. I was equivalent rank in the USN.

You could call me "Guns"...but for me that means the senior Warrant Officer or Chief in the Weapons Department. Not to be confused with "Weaps" who would be the Weapons Department Head.

Was never on a ship with missiles.....would you call that guy "Miss"?

Old 06-02-12, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I sorta like my zip cord soldered to RCA plugs for my puky speakers, but I guess there is a market for it. If for nothing else entertainment for us

Old 06-02-12, 08:33 PM
My bad, GG. I had no idea that "Gunny" had that specific meaning. As you say, I'm
not in the loop.
Or I wasn't.

Old 06-02-12, 08:55 PM
I know I would never buy that. What really got me laughing though besides the comments was the mention that shipping was free. I sure hope so at this price I guess some people have money to burn

Old 06-04-12, 06:32 AM
I know back in my college days when I was really into audio, I knew a few people that might have bought these cables.
In group of people I knew that was into audio, there was those of use that where electronic savvy and those that had a bin of money to burn (generally not too many people that belonged to both groups).

Those of us in the know, would spend tons of time, effort and what little money we could, replacing components (better transistors, resistors with <1% tolerances, etc) in the electronics and some would go as far as replacing speaker components (leather surrounds instead of injected foam, etc).

Cabling was always a funny subject. One guy I knew (money bin guy) had actually gone out and bought gold plates, woven speaker wire. Each strand was individually gold plated, then woven.
I had opted for the best (least resistance per foot) 8gauge wire at the shortest length I could run without the amp sitting on the speakers.

Fast forward 12 years and I'm sure there are guys out there with bins of money to burn on stuff they are told is the best.

What is funny with this stuff is its just wire. Not all that impressive when you are showing it off to your friends. Not like a 100+ inch tv.

Old 06-04-12, 10:27 AM
I used to have a link to a site that actually evaluated speaker wire. The bottom line from all their testing with both instruments and with critical listening was that as long as a person used wire of sufficient ampacity (i.e. large enough gauge) there was no discernible difference between plain old copper and the most expensive de-oxygenated specially braided/twisted cable in either intrument testing (frequency meters and the like) or in listening pleasure.

Of course there ARE many people that vehemently disagree with these tests and swear that the special cables they use are somehow different. Funny thing is, when subjected to blind A-B testing they can't tell which is their cable and which is #16 lamp cord.

Old 06-04-12, 10:38 AM
I remember reading probably the same report. They compared Monster cable to another high end brand, to lamp cord.

The funny thing is, the human ear has such a limited frequency range. Sure the higher end gear can support/generate better range of frequencies, but if we can't hear it, and the dog really doesn't care, why bother. Specially for cable.
The shiny gold plated tube amp is cool. The over priced cable is... just cable.

Old 06-04-12, 11:05 AM
Some forty years ago I bought a pair of Advent speakers. They were great speakers and when I told people I had a pair of the original Advents they would often get a jealous look in their eyes. Alas, after some thirty years they developed an annoying buzz in them. This was at the same time that I moved to my present house and I went out and bought a pair of Sonus Faber to replace the Advents. I didn't know anything about Sonus Faber, never had heard of them but I was smart enough to bring one of my own CDs for listening tests. The salesman took me in a listening room and played my CD on various speakers and then said, "Listen to this." and he switched to the Sonus Faber.

That was all it took. The previous speakers were all high-end models (I don't remember the names at this late date) but they all sounded inferior to the Sonus Fabers. I bought them on the spot and maybe I misread the look on the salesman's face but he seemed surprised I would make such an expensive decision. I've never regretted it. What I do regret is leaving the Advents at the old house when I finally sold it some six months later. Eventually I found out I could have had the Advents re-coned for about $100.

Old 06-04-12, 11:52 AM
A buddy of mine back in college aquired a set of Cirwin Vegas that someone had discarded in a similar manner. He replaced the surround with some sort of leather. Was the sweetest sounding speakers I had ever heard.

Old 06-04-12, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
And people thought I was crazy for spending around $900 on Bose 901s back in '85. I sold them on Ebay over 10 yrs later for about $500 as I remember.

It's crazy looking at their prices now...online they are anywhere from $1400 to $600 brand new....how the heck is that possible?

Old 06-04-12, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
I'm surprised this site has not been sued yet for unlicensed use of the word "monster". Maybe the certified letter will arrive tomorrow.

Old 06-04-12, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
By who.....the cable people, the energy drink people, or the job hunt people? lol

Old 06-04-12, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
Monster Cable has a long history of suing anyone and everyone. Just look up them on Wikipedia where they list some of the more notable lawsuits.

Old 06-04-12, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
the human ear has such a limited frequency range.
When you can't hear above 2kH, what difference does the highs make. Luckily I have a pink noise machine sitting next to my sound board at church that tells me frequencies visually. That's the only way I can "hear" high feedback.
And Furd's right about zip cord working probably as good as better cabling for every day use. There may be a difference when running 24 track recording equipment, though.....if they still use that stuff.