Do you guys ever get tired with "fixing stuff"?

Old 06-04-12, 09:34 AM

Every weekend for the past month and change has been basically fixing stuff around the house, either electronics that have died, or mistakes the previous owner had made in the house. Every time I think I'm getting ahead and closer to starting my "Nice to Have" list, something else goes.

This past weekend, Couldn't insulate windows because of the heavy rain, so the last 'must do' item on the list was repair the kids' (and wife's) Wii power supply. Once that was done, I was going to start running network cable into some flush mount network jacks.
Got everything all ready on the workbench, only to hear a crash from the living room. My 3yrs old forgot to take his headset off and pulled the DVD/receiver off the shelf in the living room. This is the second time I have had to repair that damn thing. First time around my son got a dvd stuck in it.

So... This past Friday I got the plasma TV off the work bench (replaced 2 caps on the power board) only to replace it with the dvd/receiver before the weekend was over.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-12, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's life every time you get ahead, something comes along and sets you back

Old 06-04-12, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
That's trouble with our modern lifestyle. The more stuff you have, the more you have to work to afford it all and it's more things to break that need fixing that takes up your free time. I remember back in college something about the remaining hunter gatherer tribes are the happiest people on the planet and they work the fewest number of hours while those in advanced societies spend a very large part of their life working to support the "conveniences".

Old 06-04-12, 11:50 AM
Get tired of always fixing stuff? All the time! What is worse for me is that most of my "new" projects have stalled because I can't move forward until I fix/change something else.

Old 06-04-12, 12:28 PM
Furd,

I have two lists on the go for this house. One is the 'Must Fix' and the other is the 'To Do' list.
I can't really commit any money or time to the 'To Do' list until I get the important things off the 'Must Fix' list.

Unfortunately the 'Must Fix' list keeps growing on me. A bigger kicker is the bulk of the Must Do list has to get done before it starts getting cold in the fall. Budget and hours in the day really make it tough. Specially with two young boys that want their daddy time in there.

Old 06-04-12, 02:06 PM
I get tired of fixing things that other people in the house break. It wouldn't be too big of a deal if that other someone treated their possessions with respect instead of the "well I don't have to fix it" attitude.

Old 06-04-12, 04:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wifey has a propensity for breaking things, from receptacles (I don't know how), to faucets to computers (they are always fun to repair by proxy on a cell phone). Satellite signal goes out....why? Not with me. She starts messing with stuff and doesn't tell me what she messed with. I have to go in blind looking for a glimmer of light. I always fix it and I am always her "hero", so it washes, I guess. Always tell her she'll miss me when I'm dead.

Old 06-04-12, 04:43 PM
I wish my wife felt that way when I fixed stuff. Instead she gets mad we aren't buying a new one. She's been on me about getting a new dishwasher for four years. 90% of the trouble is how she loads it. She won't listen to me.

Old 06-04-12, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
When we moved here in '07...I was a demon. Replacing vents on the roof, changing the nasty dome skylights to Velux, painting the outside, knocking down 30' of block wall by hand, up in the attic running wiring, ripping out a window and installing a patio door.....oh yeah!

I really did enjoy fixing and doing all kinds of projects (and helping out neighbors whenever I could) until about 2 1/2 yrs ago. Thats when the arches really started aching after a day of "stuff", and the shoulders decided working overhead was for younger men. So I cut back somewhat and started giving much longer time frames for anything. Then about 1 1/2 yrs ago I blew out a knee....right now it's "fix what has to be fixed" (or set aside money to pay someone to do it). And every night there's an ice pack on the knee and the ankle afterwards.

Thats unless my wife tells a friend of hers "Oh Vic can do that. He used to put in doors all the time." I SOLD doors at HD for 5 yrs...so yeah...I know about doors. I installed a FEW doors for myself and friends and made some adjustments to customers doors....but they weren't on the second story up a metal fire escape of a 100 y/o concrete block building.

I think I've made it clear. Do NOT tell anyone that I might be able to help without discussing it with me first.

Now...if I can sit or stand at my workbench and "fiddle" with something...no problem. Just don't ask me to be on my knees putting in tile or climbing ladders or stairs 5 times an hour cause all I have is a woman helping me that doesn't know the difference between an allen wrench and Alan Thicke.

It's not her fault...she grew up in urban LA and I grew up on a farm in OH with a Father who went though the REAL Great Depression.

Old 06-04-12, 05:21 PM
I made it VERY clear early in my relationship that she is to never volunteer me or my tools for anything.

Old 06-04-12, 09:33 PM
When I was married my wife used to "volunteer" me for lots of jobs. Since my paying job had a boatload of OT that meant that I was working all the time and rarely had time for myself. After a few years I told her ENOUGH! After getting rid of her and moving to a different area I've tried to keep outside knowledge of my skills to a minimum. I retired mostly because I was tired of working and any work I do these days is strictly on my terms; which means that I take forever to do anything. Few people are willing to accept those terms.

Old 06-05-12, 03:31 AM
Hey, Vic, you won't regret having them put in 12" scars on your knee, believe me. I only remember the pain before. I'm 63 and feel like............well, 62 Looking back, it was the best thing I did, having them both replaced. It's a bear to go through metal detectors at the airport and courthouse, but worth it.

Old 06-05-12, 04:08 AM
chandler,
My doctor is hinting that I should start considering getting the knee(s) done and I hate to say it, I'm about half your age

I won't get started on the being volunteered by the wife. For the most part, she stopped on volunteering me on her own as the more she volunteered me out, the less time I had for her, our boys and getting her stuff done.

My biggest problem these days is cheaply constructed modern products and stupid people.
When I first started working at the place I'm at now, I was already irritated with consumer products not lasting and figured, I'll spend the few extra dollars and get the good stuff. Well that stuff is junk too, just cost more.

Old 06-05-12, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thats when the arches really started aching after a day of "stuff", and the shoulders decided working overhead was for younger men. So I cut back somewhat.....
That's probably why some of us spend as much time on the forums as we do - it's a whole lot easier on the ol' body to tell someone what they need to do rather than get out there and help which usually means you do most of the work

Most every time I volunteer to help friends and family my wife gets upset "you've got too much to do at home to be going elsewhere to work" ...... except for when it's her idea

Old 06-05-12, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
Most every time I volunteer to help friends and family my wife gets upset "you've got too much to do at home to be going elsewhere to work" ...... except for when it's her idea
Funny, sounds like my wife.

I'll add that she complains about my always working on stuff for the house and never spending any time with her doing "fun stuff".
My solution for that back when I was fighting with my water softener/filters was " do you like taking baths in orange water?"
Now that I am insulating windows, I get the same complaint. Reminding her the $1500 every 6 weeks to run the boiler generally stops the complaints for the afternoon. ~30 new windows + ZERO insulation =

Now I just need to work on a solid justification building the mechanical/utility room. This is more on my 'To Do' list and not so much on my 'To Fix' list.

Old 06-05-12, 11:23 AM
I actually enjoy fixing stuff, especially since I retired. It keeps me busy and out of trouble. I used to fix my own stuff and I spent a lot of time helping friends and relatives with their projects.

Unfortunatley age and infirmaries are catching up. I just can't do what I used to do. Now when I'm faced with a large project I'm just as likely to wonder how much it will cost to have somebody else do it rather than doing it myself. I still get a lot of satisfaction out of fixing stuff, it's just that now I have to consider my limits.

Old 06-05-12, 01:24 PM
Mike, the doctor will shoot your knee with Synvisc as long as it works. He told me one day you will wake up and it won't be working any more. Then is decision time. Well, not really. There isn't a decision to be made except for "when". I see so many people hobbling around the supermarket knowing their knees hurt like no pain ever hurt. I think back....that used to be me. I wear shorts in the summer and, of course, battle scars show. People ask "does it hurt"?? Not any more!! I even carry a stack of my ortho doctor's cards with me. One of the few doctors that I will recommend.