Nightmare project

Old 06-05-12, 10:03 AM
Nightmare project

I have been slowly picking through difference sources of info and talking to different friends/co-workers in different trades regarding my up and coming Utility room build in our house.
The more I look into it, them more it goes from a 'to do' item to a 'Holy crap, this is a Must Fix' item.

All in all, the more digging I do, the more the utilities in their current state scare the crap out of me.

The current systems contained in the one corner of my unfinished basement and will be included in the utility room is as follows;
- Well water filtration system (including softener and electric hot water tank)
- sump pit
- Oil hot water boiler
- Electrical panel
- Laundry (washer/dryer)

Here are two over all photos of what is there which includes the space to be used and the systems that will be inside the room.

This picture I am facing South East and standing roughly where the new wall will be located.
Name:  IMGP0104.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  37.1 KB
The extreme right of the photo is a no longer used chimney that runs up into the attic and ends just below the roof. The boiler is on the opposite side of the chimney.

This is the boiler and electrical panel. The expansion tank in the distance along with the circulation pumps will be moved into the room.
Name:  IMGP0111.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  39.9 KB

My first task from what I can see is to put in the studs along the two outside walls. From there, I can line up all the pipe work and eventually insulate and finish before the snow flys.

Below is a few other pictures I took of areas of question.

This piece of concrete was used for something in the past, but I don't know what for. I may consider trying to remove it, but it's probably solid concrete, so I might instead sit one of the water system items on there.
Name:  IMGP0105.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  33.0 KB

Here is the uneven floor behind the concrete. The water softener tank is to the left and the sump pump exit hose is seen on the top left.
Name:  IMGP0107.jpg
Views: 4320
Size:  34.8 KB

This next picture shows the sump pump as well as the old well's pump and tank. This is not used but does work. Not sure if I will include it in the final setup
Name:  IMGP0106.jpg
Views: 21039
Size:  34.0 KB

This is one of the tees feeding a rad in the dinning room. It's located above the concrete foundation and above the window. The insulation wrap and duct tape job was a previous owner. I really think they wasted a lot of time with that stuff.Name:  IMGP0108.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  27.4 KB

This is a drain pipe for the washing machine and a wash tub that is ~20ft to the right of the photo. The very bottom tee goes to the wash tub, the second is "bagged" off and the third visable tee goes to the washing machine. This pipe continues up and vents just above the top of the concrete foundation (in the house. Not sure how I'll frame around this pipe.
Name:  IMGP0108.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  27.4 KB

This last picture shows just above the washer and dryer. To the left of the dryer duct is the hot/cold domestic feed to the washing machine, and to the left of that is the boiler chimney.
Name:  IMGP0110.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  27.1 KB

Looking through these photos, I am getting more and more concerned with what I have to work with.
Any suggestions, tips, questions, help?

If you have any questions about what is in a picture or would like more photos, please let me know. You guys have some solid info and really, I need all the help I can get on this one.

Please keep in mind that budget is a bit problem for me. This house has been eating every spare dollar I have in repairs.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-12, 01:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
After a cursory look, if the old well pump and tank aren't being used sell them and get them out of the picture. I know they work, but are they useful? Leave the concrete peripet and float the floor behind, around it with SLC. Do you have plans on doing a central manifold for your boiler system. Now's the time. I'll look more later.

Old 06-05-12, 01:54 PM
Larry,
The back up pump, tank and well all work. The original (old) well is in the back yard and is still functional. The newer well (with submerged pump) is in the front yard and it's gear is near the hot water tank.

Old 06-05-12, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Dryer vent is not to code here in the states. All that is is foil over plastic. Dont know your codes but rigid metal or semi rigid with a smooth interior.

They are a fire hazard. Even though they are UL listed and the box may say dryer vent, its not to code.

Mike NJ

Old 06-05-12, 03:34 PM
Well I am no expert in this but having watched a great deal of This Old House here in the states I can tell you they are fond of consolidating as much as possible. So with that in mind you may want to get a different boiler and one that could be mounted on the wall instead of out where it is in the way. Also maybe a separate water tank that would get heated by the boiler so you would only need to feed oil to one thing. Anything you can legally sell though that is still safe to use I say go ahead and sell it. I agree about the dryer vent and think that could be run through the wall a bit lower in the masonry

Old 06-06-12, 04:30 AM
Well I am no expert in this but having watched a great deal of This Old House here in the states I can tell you they are fond of consolidating as much as possible. So with that in mind you may want to get a different boiler and one that could be mounted on the wall instead of out where it is in the way. Also maybe a separate water tank that would get heated by the boiler so you would only need to feed oil to one thing. Anything you can legally sell though that is still safe to use I say go ahead and sell it. I agree about the dryer vent and think that could be run through the wall a bit lower in the masonry
Just a couple quick notes.
The boiler use to produce domestic hot water, but the coil system boilers use for domestic hotwater are not too efficient and during the summer, would consume a lot of oil keeping the boiler warm to serve up hot water. If I could get the coil in the boiler to work right, I would like to run it during the winter (while the boiler is in use) and use an electric hotwater tank during the summer when the boiler is shut down. Currently the hotwater tank is an electric rental. I'll be replacing it with a purchased tank in the future.

As for the backup well equipment, it appears the general concensis is that it should go (even though the well and gear work). I might keep it around for a bit and set it up for a water source in the garage when that project starts up.

The dryer vent will be moved down. It would leave a large hole in the siding outside, but if/when I redue the decking outside, this will be covered.

As for space... Not really an issue. I currently have an estimated 1345sqft of unfinished basement to play with. A quick measurement along the path where the wall will seporate this room from the rest of the basement indicates it'll be a minimum of 17ft long (north/south) and 12ft wide (east/west).

Old 06-06-12, 04:34 AM
Apparently I can't edit the original post. I had hoped to keep links to all the sub-threads regarding the various items in the OP.

Here is the link to the framing the exterior wall thread;
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/wa...-how-work.html

Old 06-06-12, 08:02 AM
Here is the link to the domestic water pipe sizing thread.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...justments.html

Current plumming goes from 1" at the pressure tank, to 1/2" exiting the softener (before the hotwater tank feed).

Search this Thread