Venting

Old 06-07-12, 05:35 PM
Venting

I buy a lot of junk on-line and have it sent to my home. Recently I bought some items from a company I have dealt with for many years. The always ship via UPS and always give me a tracking number. Once UPS has picked up the package checking the tracking number has always given me an estimated delivery date. This time, however, no delivery date and no update to the tracking until yesterday (June 6 at 2:41 AM) that the package is in their facility in Redmond, WA (just a few miles from me). Always in the past having the package in at that time meant it went out for delivery around 8AM and I would have it on my doorstep no later than 6 PM.

Not his time, checking at 5 PM today it STILL shows that the package was checked the day before and hasn't moved. Why? I am unaware of any labor disputes either nationally or locally with UPS.

Vent #2.

Early last month I attempted to purchase a new battery for my laptop. The company I selected stated they would ship within 24 hours but a week later I still didn't have a tracking number. Upon inquiry they said they were out of stock but would ship by the end of the week. The following Monday I received a tracking number but checking it the package had not yet been picked up. Another week elapsed and still no package pick up. Again I contact the seller who assures me that they will ship in the next few days but I ask for a refund which takes several more days to process. Obviously they never had the battery and simply lied about shipping in 24 hours.

Vent #3

So I try a different company to purchase the laptop battery. This one does process the order and sends it via USPS Priority Mail. Tracking shows the package submitted to one postal facility, transferred to a regional sorting facility and leaving that sorting facility on May 29. Priority Mail is "promised" (but not guaranteed) delivery in two to three days. Here it is nine days later and STILL no battery and checking the tracking number shows no new information. I use the USPS website to question where the heck my package may be and specify I want an answer via E-mail. A few hours later I get a telephone call from my LOCAL post office stating that the package left the New Jersey sorting facility on May 29.

WELL DUH, I already knew that. I asked the man where was it NOW and why hadn't it been delivered? He couldn't answer either question saying that, "Once it gets into Washington State we can track it." He then suggests I contact the seller/shipper. What the heck good is package tracking under these circumstances? If something happened to some huge truckload of mail back east shouldn't the USPS know about it?

I just sent an inquiry via Ebay for this delay and I'll keep you informed as to the progress. I suspect that I'll get an answer back something like, "We shipped it, we can't be held responsible for mistakes made by the post office."

GRRR!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-12, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Similar vent regarding DHL. I NEVER want anything shipped by them (not a slam), and I tell the supplier. What happens is they pick it up and deliver it to a remote post office and let the postal service deliver it. No tracking beyond their pick up. I've only seen one DHL truck in our town in 12 years, and I think he was lost......or looking for a post office

Old 06-07-12, 06:32 PM
UPS and FEDEX will do the same thing. Deliver to the USPS and then the USPS delivers it to your house. You never know when your packaged will be shipped like that because they tell you it is UPS or FEDEX. But once it is out of their hands, they want nothing to do with it.

USPS tracking is never good. I usually don't get a tracking number until after it has been delivered.

For XMAS, my brother was having gifts for his son delivered to his in-laws house in PA which is close to where he lives. His in-laws happen to spend their winters in FL and have their mail forwarded to that address. Well, the one package was shipped via USPS. Of course it gets to the local PO or sorting facility where the forwarding catches up to it and redirects the package to FL. It wouldn't have been a big deal if the package made it to his in-laws in FL because they could have just shipped it back themselves. Somehow half way to FL, the package hits a sorting facility that sends it back to PA. Then PA gets it and sends it back to FL. Let's just say that happened several more times before it finally shook itself out of the loop.

Old 06-07-12, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Furd,

I don't order from e bay anymore.

Amazon is the greatest IMO

Ordered a Radiator for my truck June 5th . They gave me this, Delivery estimate: June 11, 2012 - June 14, 2012

Radiator came today June 7th.

Make sure you try to get products sold by Amazon. Ships fast. Plus you usually get two day delivery free shipping super saver option when ordering.

This is just my experience with online purchases. I don't order anywhere else unless Amazon does not carry it. ( They have everything)

Mike NJ

Old 06-07-12, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
I know somebody that works FedEx Freight in the claims dept. He tells me that the online tracking is not even close to the info they have access on packages. They can tell you where it is, when it was scanned and who has it. The tracking you and I have access to is the "Readers Digest" version.

Old 06-07-12, 07:26 PM
Maybe Amazon doesn't have everything, but they have a heckuva lot, for sure. Plus, we often have the experience of ordering something from Amazon one night and receiving it the next day! And for no shipping cost. Hard to beat that.

Old 06-07-12, 07:46 PM
I received an answer from my inquiry back to the Ebay seller, they suggest that I contact my local post office. I guess I've come full circle. I ask the USPS, they forward my question to my local PO who calls me telling me to contact the seller and when I do that the seller suggests calling the local PO.

FedEx used to be excellent. They had a depot just two miles from me and if they missed me for delivery I could just go to the depot and pick up my package. Then they changed it and all packages were held in a facility some forty miles from me. The DHL/Airborne facility is maybe a quarter-mile from FedEx but I have only once had a package delivered by them. UPS has never been a problem until now.

Yes, FedEx and UPS have both used the combination with USPS to deliver small packages (mailbox size) and there has never been a problem. Crazy thing is, when they use USPS the packages are always sent to the Bothell post office (about a mile and a half from me) although my mail comes from the Mill Creek PO because I live in a different county and zip code from the Bothell PO.

Well, I sent a nastygram back to the seller and in a few minutes I'll be sending a nastygram back to USPS.

This battery fiasco is the only time I have had a problem with Ebay. I would have ordered it from Amazon only the reviews were so lousy.

Old 06-07-12, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Larry...I think DHL quit US domestic pick-op and delivery about 3 yrs ago. Might still do freight though.

Old 06-07-12, 08:56 PM
I replied to the battery store rather testily that I knew what USPS stated and that USPS suggested I contact the shipper. They responded soon after that they would send another battery if that was satisfactory. I replied yes. So I guess I should see something by next Thursday or sooner.

Old 06-08-12, 03:41 AM
Our FedEx guy changes with the wind, but our UPS guy has remained the same for years. I have a delivery box at our driveway turn around for him to leave packages in should he not see our car or truck in the driveway. He has even seen my truck at a jobsite at the college and has left packages in the front seat for me (we don't use door locks here, much less those obnoxious alarms).
Furd, you are going to send the extra battery back to the shipper, right??? Use DHL

Old 06-08-12, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The biggest issue I have with the various shipping companies is they don't like my driveway
DHL was only around here for a short while. They attempted once to make a delivery to me but the girl driving the van got scared and started backing down my driveway - right into the ditch The neighbor gal said it took the wrecker about an hour to get the van out..... I was up top and never knew.
UPS has 3 drivers that service my area, 1 always leaves the package at the neighbor gal's porch, 1 takes it back to UPS stating it's undeliverable and the 3rd guy delivers it to my porch [one time in a light snow]
The FedEx guys usually go up my driveway. While my driveway might be a little intimidating, I've had a concrete truck and a tri axle block truck come up it with no problem.... not to mention gravel trucks.

For about the last yr or so everything I've ordered online has come days [sometimes weeks] sooner than what the regular shipping stated. Last time I ordered a part for my tractor, didn't pay for overnight shipping but got it the next day anyway

Old 06-08-12, 01:35 PM
Speaking of Amazon.com anybody ever hear of Lasership? No well I hadn't either until last year when I built my new office computer. I had checked on Amazon.com's website to see when the motherboard might arrive and they said Lasership was delivering it. I thought to myself what is Lasership and did a Google search and found a blog that Amazon.com has and found out from other shoppers that Lasership is a company they use every once in a while. I also found out they use cars to deliver their packages you read it right they use cars.
When my package did arrive it really was brought here in a car by a very inexperienced delivery person. It was kind of funny in a way as I guess she didn't know which package she needed to bring so she kept on tossing them around and then finally when she had mine she started to shake it I guess to try to guess what was in there. Well I was watching her of course and she gave me a guilty smile and then handed me my package.
Lasership though is notorious for being real late or sending something to the wrong address. I found that out with another package and this time I think it was the mug I bought my mom for her birthday. I kept on waiting and finally I checked Amazon.coms website and Laserships and they both said delivered. Maybe so but not to my house so I called Amazon.com up and told them about it and they said they would send a replacement. Wouldn't you know it though the very next day the mug arrives via Lasership. So I had to call Amazon.com up and tell them and they said they had already sent the replacement out but would pay for the delivery back.
I have had trouble though with Fedex too a few times and one time I am sure the package went to another persons door. That package though I didn't see for over a week and a charity I had bought the item from had already refunded my money. My funds were tight and I really couldn't afford too much to send it back at the time so I tried to get Fedex to take responsibility for the package but they wouldn't. It really made me mad too that they wouldn't after all it was their fault. I told the charity about all of it and they just insisted that I keep it and not worry about paying for it which I didn't want to do but they insisted. It was an old clock part sold at auction.
With USPS they lost a memory chip that I had bought on e-bay and paid insurance for and in that case the dealer didn't want to send me a replacement but finally did after I made enough complaints. Never have had any problems with UPS though or anyone who has shipped with them. I have used UPS myself at times and I have always been happy with their service.

Old 06-08-12, 05:35 PM
i had ordered a LCD flatscreen tv for my mom for Christmas via wally word online. shipped via fedex. they dropped of a tv that goes to another address and was not the one I ordered. The right tv was delivered the next day at 10PM at night and i handed the wrong tv back to the 2nd driver. Also Our mailman is a jerk and real lazy. I live in a trailer park and he will shove thick padded envelopes into the apt size mailboxes out by the street if he can get away with it. He once shoved a 45 RPM record into the box even though it said DO NOT BEND. Had a hell of time trying to get it out of the mail box. Luckily it did not break. And if he does have to go to the trailer he knocks once and then assumes no ones home if he can't leave it on the porch. One time my mom caught him when he was in is his truck doing paper work i front of our trailer and asked if he could bring the packages back. He threw his hands up and sighed real loud throwing a fit.

Old 06-08-12, 05:52 PM
There is no excuse for a UPS or FEDEX driver not to be able to go down someone's driveway in reverse. My brother has a long driveway and has this issue with the UPS driver. It's not a difficdult driveway to navigate.

Old 06-09-12, 04:43 AM
If it is negotiable, yes. Mine is over a quarter mile long with blind turns, so I am just proud he is able to drive forward on it . I do have a loop built in to the driveway, and at the apex is their "drop" box that I provided in case we're not there. I try to leave no excuses for a one time driver to take a package back as undeliverable.

Old 06-11-12, 11:09 PM
I received the replacement laptop battery today. USPS is still reporting the original as having left New Jersey on May 29.

I also received tracking info from UPS that the package I ordered (from California) Monday morning will be here on Wednesday.

Good start to the week.

Old 06-11-12, 11:31 PM
Glad to hear that Furd about the laptop battery. I heard about something concerning laptop batteries that really doesn't concern us in the United States but it seems the overly picky European Union doesn't want laptop batteries being sent through their regular mail,UPS is fine or Fedex but not the regular mail. I hadn't been on e-bay in a while and read one of their notices. I forget exactly when that went into effect but have heard it is going on now. So if you sell something with a rechargeable battery on e-bay just don't sell overseas in Europe or the package will be rejected unless you use Ups,Fedex or DHL.