idiots and liars

Old 06-11-12, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
idiots and liars

I'm usually fairly easy going and can overlook a lot of things - except when it comes to idiots and liars

My wife was at the jeep dealer last week and inquired if they ever came up with the fix for the clock [loses time every week] They said "yes, let's make an appointment for you to bring it in monday morning at 8:30" So I was down there with the jeep at 8:15 and got a ride back home. Just before 4pm they called and said the jeep was ready for me to pick up BUT they didn't fix the clock because Chrysler still hasn't come up with a fix.

Why did they have me waste my time? In january of this year they gave me a copy of the service bulletin dated 8/11/11 that there was no fix at this time but a new module was expected to come sometime in 1st Q 2012 Today they said an update bulletin dated in may said the module wasn't yet ready. So why did they make the appointment to fix it?

I'm not trying to badmouth Chrysler, over all I'm satisfied with my jeep, it just irks me that someone would set up an appointment to do what they should have known couldn't be done

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-12, 04:43 PM
Marksr - Our local Jeep dealer gets no slack from me. I don't know if they are liars but I'll subscribe to them being idiots. A couple of months after we bought our GC my hands free key started working intermittantly. My wife's worked fine. It took 5 friggen' trips to the dealer and me climbing on the service manager's desk before they finally got it fixed.

Long story but the service manager ended up admitting that the two "techs" that worked on it didn't have a clue how the system worked. Something I had been screaming about since trip #2.

Now that I got that off my chest , what's up with the clock - what model Jeep?

Old 06-11-12, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2010 JK/wrangler - from day one it's not kept time. For it to be halfway accurate you need to reset it every month. After awhile that gets old, after all you can go to wally world and buy a $5-$10 watch that keeps perfect time. Chrysler knows it's an issue for the JK and the KA/KK [?] and said they intended to have the repair module ready by the 1st part of this year. I don't know what the hold up is - maybe the cost

It is aggravating [and pitiful] when you talk to a tech or even a salesman that doesn't have a clue about their product! All I know is there were other things I could have been doing today. I'm sure they could have found out last week that the fix wasn't in yet

Old 06-11-12, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Title of the post piqued my interest. I thought you were talking about me and Vic. Had no idea
Had a similar thing posted in Trucks. Made an appointment to have my ABS module "married" to my VIN, since it was a rebuild. Brought truck in, wasted 2 hours of a workday, paid them $40 so they could tell me they couldn't match the VIN to the ABS module. They didn't know this when I made the appointment???

Old 06-11-12, 07:41 PM
This goes back about 14 years. I had given my 87 Toyota Camry to my then girlfriend. After a period of time the automatic seatbelt stopped working. This was one of those motorized shoulder harnesses that would move to the front when the door was opened and then back to strap you in when the door was closed. It had crapped out in the back position so she could still use it, it was just a pain.

Anyway, we took it to the Toyota dealer who assured us that they could fix it. Several hours later we went to pick it up and we were told that they still hadn't found the trouble but give them another few hours and they would. Turns out that the service manager had given the job to an apprentice and he hadn't a clue as to where to even start troubleshooting so the three or four hours that had been put into the job were mostly head scratching and wheel spinning. BUT they charged me the same as if an experienced mechanic had done the work.

I told them no way was I going to subsidize the education of their employees and no way was I about to leave the car for more of the same. Now I realize that apprentices do need to be educated but they should not be left to their own devices for an extended period of time at the customer's expense.

Old 06-11-12, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Had a customer that drove a Jeep Wagoner. She was complaining to me one day how the filling station had put in a new battery and it only lasted a month and now she was going to have to buy another one. She said the filling station had told her she need another new battery so it must be true. I ask her how she knew the battery needed to be replaced yet again. She said the car wouldn't start.

I asked if I could check it. I put the headlights on and they were bright. Ask her to try start the car dead silence. I didn't even try to turn over but the headlights remained bright. Popped the hood and saw a fender wall mounted solenoid. Connections were good so I told her to turn the ignition on and I laid my screwdriver across the terminals and it started up no problem. So I explained she needed a new solenoid.

I said I'd run over to Autozone and get a new one. She was having none of that. It had to come from a Jeep dealer and not just any Jeep dealer but the one she bought the Jeep from. Well after 15 minuets at the parts desk and being ignored by the people behind the counter I asked for help and was told they were too busy to help me. I looked around and pointed out I was the only person there. They said the had to pull parts for the mechanics first and could only help me if they had spare time.

Forty five minutes later they put the wrong solenoid on the counter and walked off. I yelled hey this is the wrong one. They insisted no it wasn't the wrong one. The customer insisted I accept it and try it and scolded me for getting mad. We had driven there in her Jeep so I took it out and showed her it wouldn't fit. I went back in and again they ignored me. After ten more minutes of being ignored again I gave up and told my customer if she wanted to wait she could but I was leaving, by bus if I had to. Finally she decided to throw a fit and finally we got the correct part.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-12-12 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-12-12, 03:30 AM
being ignored by the people behind the counter
I thought I was the only invisible customer that happened to . Glad you told me what they were doing. Had no idea they were getting parts for mechanics. They seemed busy, but not that busy. I have learned if I gotta have a part, right now, call it in, pre charge it on your card, and it will be ready. Otherwise you wait....or wait. If it isn't a "right now" part, you can bet I can wait for days getting it online better than I can stand in line at a Dealer parts counter. If the part isn't a dealer item, I never cast a shadow on their lot. Too much aftermarket competition to level the playing field.

Old 06-12-12, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Y'all reminded me of a tractor parts store I no longer do business with. 20 yrs ago they had one of the best parts man I've seen. I swear it seemed like he knew what you needed before you walked in the door Well he quit or whatever and the replacements didn't have a clue. I went in there one time for a canister type oil filter, the new guy disappeared for over 10 minutes and came back with a spin on oil filter

Old 06-12-12, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
.....except when it comes to idiots and liars.
You're in for a rough six months, Mark, this being a presidential election year.

Tow Guy's rule #1: Don't buy dealer parts unless it's a dealer-only part. There are an awful lot of people who think the "best" parts and service can only come from the dealer they bought their car from. Curious what the lady paid for the oem starter solenoid versus what an aftermarket would have been; after all, a starter solenoid is not space shuttle technology.

Old 06-12-12, 09:38 AM
Don't buy dealer parts unless it's a dealer-only part
I can't agree. My first car was a Fiat 124 roadster. My second car was a Fiat 124 sedan. Everything I bought for these two cars was less expensive from the dealer than any aftermarket source. At the time I was quite befuddled that this would be true.

My third car was a Dodge (Mitsubishi) D-50 mini pick up. I bought aftermarket brake shoes for the back and they didn't fit. I went to the dealer and bought them, only a bit more expensive, and they fit perfectly. While I was at the dealer someone was buying a starter. This person said they had bought three starters from the aftermarket store across the street and each had failed in a couple of months. The aftermarket store DID replace the starters for free but the time spent in removal and replacement was wearing thin on this customer. The Dodge parts man said that if the genuine Dodge starter failed in as quickly as the aftermarket rebuilds he would personally replace the starter. I have no way of knowing what eventually happened but I have never heard an aftermarket sales person make such a promise.

Old 06-12-12, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
I would make an allowance for a Fiat (Fix It Again, Tony), and you do have to be careful of the quality of the aftermarket parts. A lot of parts houses carry "economy" parts and like items of higher quality; I would never buy the economy parts.

Old 06-14-12, 04:17 PM
I used to rebuild TR6's many years ago, and there are absolutely NO aftermarket parts. You go to junk yards that specialize in British sports cars and glean what you can. Similar to Furd's Fiat. But today's cars, never. I'm with TG. Darken the dealer's doorway when there is no other way to avoid it.

Old 06-15-12, 07:28 AM
I owned a Fiat Spider when I lived in Spain. Somebody swiped the distributor cap. I went to the dealer to get a replacement. They had to order it from Madrid! They promised delivery manana. It was manana for nearly two weeks before a shady buddy of mine lifted one from somebody else's Fiat. I got the impression that if there were 100 Fiats in town there were only 99 with distributor caps.

The Fiat was the most underpowered vehicle I've ever owned. 90 mph max on the autopista, downhill with a tailwind. Wheezy gong uphill.

Old 06-15-12, 09:47 AM
The Fiat Spyders did have small engines when compared to many other cars that you might think of as being in the same classification. My 1974 had a 1,756 CC DOHC engine and I had no trouble hitting 120 mph in the deserts of Nevada. I was neck-and-neck with a Datsun 240Z for several miles until my common sense kicked in. Considering the Datsun had about 35% more engine I don't think that was too bad.

Aftermarket parts were available in the greater Seattle area but the cost was, in most cases, higher than the genuine parts. Front brake rotors for example were about $14 at the dealer and double or more aftermarket.

I miss that car, I have no place to keep it but I sometimes wish I still had it.

Old 06-15-12, 04:08 PM
I honestly don't remember the engine in my 1970 Fiat Spider. All I remember was good gas mileage and that there was a noticiable difference in performance with two people in the car. Of course I was coming off a 67 Camaro SS350 and that may have warped my perception.

Even worse than the Spider was the Fiat 850 and the Seat 600 (a 600cc Spanish version of the Fiat).