Designer's block when it comes to my own stuff

Old 06-14-12, 12:21 PM
Designer's block when it comes to my own stuff

Do you guys find that if you are helping someone else out, you can come up with tons of ideas, but then when it comes to your stuff, you run a blank on creative ideas?

To give you an idea of what I mean;
I have a totally unfinished basement (approx 1345sqft). Other then creating a mechanical/utility room, I have no idea what to do with the space or how to lay it out.
I know a bathroom (full or half) would be a good idea, and I would like to have a workout are, but I'm drawing a total blank.

If it was someone else's place, I'm sure I could come up with some creative ideas on a whim.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-12, 01:45 PM
I have a few ideas and depending on your budget I think at least a few could be done. As for your bathroom I personally think just a half bath is never any good. Case in point my neighbor has a half bath in her basement and now her granddaughter is living there. So the granddaughter has to go upstairs to get a shower. Not really a problem but is does slow things down sometimes. So do yourself a favor and make the bathroom a full sized one.
With a workout area you really need either a steam room or a pool. Have you heard of those endless pools? I have they have been advertising them like crazy in the States and if they build them like pools outside you should be able to have an endless pool in your basement. Up north where you live and the summers are shorter an endless pool would be great for you. Looking on the website they look kind of big but may have smaller ones anyway here is a link to their website Endless Pools Swimming Machines | Swimming Pools, Indoor Exercise Pool . Other than having heard of them I really know nothing about the company but think these are neat.

Old 06-14-12, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you have a lot of other things on your to do list, I'd hold off a bit on any concrete plans for the basement - what you think you want right now, may not be how you want to use the space later..... it's easier/cheaper to change your plans before you get started

If you're like me, the basement will always be in the back of your mind and as you come across different jobs/houses you can file away what parts you'd like to incorporate in your basement

Old 06-14-12, 04:48 PM
marksr,

This will be a down the road project, but it's design can be impacted by some of the other things I have on the go. I just don't want to finish the walls for the mechanical room then decided I want to continue the wall further for another room or so on.

The thread was more about how if someone has an issue or needs an idea, most of us are quick to give them great ideas. When it comes to our own stuff... I look at my very large blank canvas and go blank.

hedgeclippers,
That endless pool thing is really cool. Not sure how well it'll work with the low ceilings in the basement though.
As for the bathroom... I would go full bath of some sort (shower stall probably).

Old 06-14-12, 10:21 PM
I thought the pool was cool too, by the way I did a bit more research by looking at their website again and the smallest pool is 6x6 so that isn't too big and they say you can install them in basements. This also can be a do it yourself project depending because you would need some way to get in the pool. So I can see the head room problem we have some of the same problems in our house. Still though it is interesting if not a bit expensive.
Have you also thought about using the area as an office or perhaps a bedroom in one area code permitting of course? About the only other things I can think of, I had a bit of free time though and thought I would post that update. Have a good day!

Old 06-15-12, 04:50 AM
hedgeclippers,
Headroom would definately be an issue in the basement. My basement was not built for living space, with a hight of 6'6" to 6'8", once you put a sub floor and ceiling in, some folks will have to watch their head. My main floor however... Being a former Cathlac convent, they always go big and thanks to that, my main floor has 12' ceilings. Don't think it would fit in with the 1930's design though, nor would the floor support that much weight in one spot. Still really cool idea. Got me thinking of even going with a soft tub or something down the road.

Crystaltom,
I think I'll be working towards what you are suggesting. We still have the extra home theater from the previous house which we used it's basement for entertaining. I was thinking of putting a small bedroom down there as well, but we do currently have 8 bedrooms already. I'll mess around in CAD over my lunch and see if anything will jump up and bite me.

I guess I'll toss up a couple pics to see if any ideas jump up and bite you guys.
Please note that the funky plumbing is being addressed now. The boiler pipes are being relocated and tucked, and the circulation pumps are being moved to the mechanical room (which is not yet built).

This first pic is looking North, with the West wall on the left of the picture. There is a set of stairs behind me and I'm standing about 5' from the wall.
Name:  IMG-20111118-00155sm.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  28.9 KB

This picture is down the center, again looking North. The support collumns line up perfectly with the main and second floor hallway walls, so the support of the center of the house runs straight up. If I remember correctly, it's 6' of space between the collumns
Name:  IMG-20111118-00156sm.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  30.1 KB

This last picture is again looking north, with the East wall on the right. I standing within what will be the mechanical room. The previous owner is standing in roughly where the wall for the mechanical room will be (~17' away from the south wall).
Name:  IMG-20111118-00157sm.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  36.4 KB

All those shelves are coming out and will be replaced with a better (compact) setup.

Old 06-15-12, 04:04 PM
About the only other thing I can think of has to do with plumbing. I see a great deal of copper plumbing and actually I am kind of old school considering plumbing but seeing how little space you do have I was wondering are you considering pex plumbing? Maybe too a pool table where your friends could come over and play a friendly game of pool. Not as fun as and endless pool but you could always add on at some point in the future as money allows. Kind of had forgotten how little space you have. I bet that when you add in a ceiling you will have even less space. Over here we can touch the basement ceiling so no endless pool here either.