Brand New Homes $1600 and Up

Old 06-19-12, 12:49 AM
Group Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-12, 06:16 AM
This is the one I live in: 1928 Mitchell - English Cottage Style - Sears Honor Bilt Catalog Right now, I'm sitting by the 2nd floor window on the side of the house.

Old 06-19-12, 07:54 AM
That is really cool. I love reading about old stuff and old ads like that.

I went looking for my current home as around the right year (1937), but I know it was built by the Catholic church (former convent) and the nearest rail is ~15 miles away.

Still interesting to see how some of those designs are coming back in modern homes.

Old 06-19-12, 02:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think it is a scam. I bet those houses cost $2000. Man, misleading advertising. What is the world coming to????
Really, glad to see some of them still around, droo.

Old 06-19-12, 02:59 PM
I would say most would still be around. There were other companies that made kit homes. It's fun spotting them when driving around. I came across my model but in a brick version. It was unfortunately made into a lawyers office. I know of another about 20-25 minutes away. We have yet to check it out in person though. At the closing, the family we bought it from told us our detached garage was made from the left over pieces. Not exactly the news you want to hear when you just sign the papers. I think the reality of the story is that they probably had left over shingles and used some of the crating material to build it. My neighbor's house is also a Sears home.

Old 06-19-12, 03:16 PM
When I saw this post I thought this is too good to be true as I thought we haven't heard of prices like that since the great depression or a little bit after that. I was right you were talking about antique homes I think I have been in a few Sears houses here in Maryland but I am not sure except to say I have seen some old ads showing the styles of the houses. While some of these homes were small they were actually fairly well built for their time. Sadly some but certainly not all home builders have cut corners and houses are not as good as they used to be. Even when you ask for something to be done I have heard you have to keep an eye on the builder so they are doing things the way you want them to be done.

Old 06-19-12, 04:56 PM
I thought it was going to be a link to foreclosures. I know there were homes going for less than 10k in Detroit.

Old 06-19-12, 08:38 PM
Thanks Ray - this brought up a couple of nice memories I haven't visited in awhile.

The first is of the town my grandfather and his brothers built, (Hunter, AR) using their own surveying skills, plus plans and some materials that they ordered from Sears. This was earlier than 1908, and it was what Sears offered on its way to developing the Honor Bilt series.

The other is of living, for much of my life, next door to a town that was built - many of us believe - almost entirely with Sears kits. OK, the residences. The typical markings on the components are missing, but that could have been a condition of the contract. Certainly the houses look like Sears houses. That town is Old Hickory, TN, and it was built in a very short time to house the workers and their families for the munitions plant that was an important part of our WWI effort.

Old 06-20-12, 04:12 AM
I thought it was going to be a link to foreclosures. I know there were homes going for less than 10k in Detroit.
It's unfortunate that is the case in a lot of the US.
It's also unfortunate that it's not the case or even remotely close to the case here. I sold my previous house as a first time home buyer's house for $100k more then I had paid for it when I bought it 7 years prior with no major upgrades (except the shingles).

Old 06-20-12, 04:49 AM
Old 06-20-12, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the link, drooplug. I had no idea that there were similar communities elsewhere.

As a side note, I found it interesting that one of the house designs was called "The Cumberland." Old Hickory, TN is bordered on one side by the Cumberland River. Makes sense. And I forgot to say that the munitions plant there was a DuPont plant.

Old 06-21-12, 04:28 AM
This is quite interesting: Old Hickory, Tennessee and Norfolk, Virginia (Update 2) | Sears Modern Homes
It's amazing how little these houses have changed over 100 years.

The first picture looks almost exactly like the house my dad grew up in. I wonder if they shipped those houses this far north.
I'll dig through some of the old photos and see if I can find some good shots of the house that would show if it could have been or not.

The more I think about it, the higher the chances the houses in that area could have been pre-fabs. My dad grew up in a small mining town just outside of Sudbury. It had a rail road running through the center of town, and most of the houses where around the railroad.

Old 06-21-12, 05:29 AM
The Sears homes were based on popular designs. They were not the trend setters. There were also a few other companies that made kit homes. In the case like DuPont, they could have commissioned there own designs to be mass produced in any factory.