Just another rant

Old 06-20-12, 07:28 PM
Just another rant

I get so po'd when I buy an appliance that turns out to be broken or just plain crap right out of the box. Yesterday my wife bought a 10K BTU "portable" AC unit for our bedroom. The window unit we had has been struggling to cool the room this year and with temps in the high 90's we decided it was time.

Big mistake. The new unit (an off brand sold at most big boxes and department stores) won't cool - it actually heats the room and it sounds like a friggen' B-17 about to roll for take off. To make matters worse it advertizes a nifty feature. No condensate drain needed! Supposedly the heat from the unit evaporates the condensate - right! It ran for 12 hours, raised the room temp from 1* above outdoors to 9* above outdoors and still managed to fill the 1.5L "emergency" condensate pan.

The store tells me I have to work wioth the manufacturer for warrantee work and the manufacturer (some guy in a cube farm in NJ) tells me I need to pay the shipping costs. Even if it was working I don't want it - It's too loud. I'm that close to tossing it in the junkpile except I'll have to pay $20 to take it to the landfill.

End of rant.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-12, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
(some guy in a cube farm in NJ)
Hey!!!!!!! We dont have cube farms here.. Just cows and chickens and such....LOL

( And alright, there is a bad smell between exit 15 and 13 on the Jersey Turnpike but we are trying to keep the New Yorkers out...)

Anyway Wayne, cant you just return it? I would think the store you bought it from has a return policy. Even if its open and what not. The home stores are 90 days on returns.

You probably should have posted here before you bought it. I am sure the fine HVAC gentlemen would have guided you in a better direction.

Mike NJ

Old 06-20-12, 10:06 PM
Assuming you did buy it at a big box store with lots of people in colored aprons, it's worth a try to just return it as a "malfunctioning item." Most stores have fairly liberal return policies. And ask to speak with the store manager if the returns desk person gives you any grief.

Old 06-21-12, 01:01 AM
If you have problems returning something within a stores time frame usually mentioning the attorney generals name will make them think twice or your favorite news channel as there is usually a consumer reporter at at least one channel just waiting to pick a fight with a business. Nobody likes bad publicity. Good luck!

Old 06-21-12, 04:19 AM
I will join in on this rant. Almost every new appliance, tool or toy I buy these days ends up having issues.

My last purchase of a drill press found the chuck locking handle (which locks the chuck hight) was stripped right out of the box and the chuck doesn't actually line up with the hole in the base plate.
Can't even get away with good quality buying name brand these days.

Old 06-21-12, 04:55 AM
I didn't buy the AC my wife did. I would not have purchased this unit. On the other hand I'm not about to tell her she screwed up by not doing her homework first.

She bought it because it was the last one and it was on sale. Married guys will understand that. The store (not a big box) said any warrantee isues should be taken up with the manufacturer. I'm going to have a discussion with the store today.

I read a bunch of reviews on line last night. Most are bad but every site has several 5 star stellar reviews. All are short like " I love this AC it cools my entire home." I wonder if the great reviews are plants?

In the last few months we have purchased a 46" flat screen that had a terrible picture out of the box (returned), an over the range microwave that didn't work it took amore than a month to get repaired), and now this POS A/C unit.

Old 06-21-12, 05:21 AM
This day and age with little to no QA on products, it doesn't matter if it was name brand or not, it's all junk for the most part.

As for not telling the wife about the AC unit being a bad buy... I fully understand and would do the same.

Old 06-21-12, 05:38 AM
I feel your pain. My dehumidifier has never worked right. I want to replace it, but I don't know what direction to go. I have no faith in any of the brands. The one I truly want to buy is out of the range of my budget right now.

Old 06-21-12, 08:00 AM
Mike - I apologise. The cube farm is in California, not NJ.

A rant update - the store where we bought the unit has agreed to take it back. I talked to the department supervisor and she insisted that I return it to the manufacturer. I then talked to the store manager (nicely) and he told me to return it. He also told me that he had about 25% returns on this unit and the store would no longer sell them (we got the last one).

Drooplug - I have an LG dehumidifier (cost around $200) in my unfinished basement that runs year round. It's 3-4 years old and does a good job of keeping my basement from smelling musty. In the summer it drips constantly so it must be working. I would buy another one.

Old 06-21-12, 08:08 AM
Drooplug - I have an LG dehumidifier (cost around $200) in my unfinished basement that runs year round. It's 3-4 years old and does a good job of keeping my basement from smelling musty. In the summer it drips constantly so it must be working. I would buy another one.
The one I have is an LG. I am able to set the unit to my desired humidity level and it is supposed to turn on and off to maintain it. So when it hits that level, it shuts off for 2 minutes, then turns back on for 2 minutes and repeats the cycle forever. I wound up putting a timer on it. Sometimes when it turns on, the fan doesn't come on. The compressor overheats and shuts off. I'm sure this is costing me a fortune in electric usage. The one I want to upgrade to is a SantaFe and is like $1200.

Old 06-21-12, 02:43 PM
Why not try the Home Depot drooplug they have some great prices on dehumidifiers. The prices are a great deal lower too than what you saw. Of course this is for a portable unit and you may be looking for a unit that will dehumidify when the air conditioner is off and those are expensive but I hear well worth the cost. Just one portable unit though will help to take the load off of your air conditioning unit no matter what type you have.

Old 06-21-12, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
IF you buy another portable I highly recommended a two hose version instead of a single hose one. Two hose units are much more efficient.

Old 06-21-12, 04:46 PM
My unit is a dehumidifier. It is in my unfinished basement so there is no a/c. I think I spent like $250 or so on the one I have. I am very reluctant to buy another unit in this price range because I don't expect it to be any better. I don't see good reviews for any of this stuff online. My brother got the SantaFe one and it is performing well. It's quiet and more efficient than the little ones. I don't argue the value for price on that. It's all about the cash flow. My a/c is a whole other story....

Old 06-21-12, 05:48 PM
Drooplug - I think we have the same or a similar LG unit. Mine is a 45 pint that I have direct piped to my sump drain so that I don't have to bother with emptying the thing. I think I turned it on 3 - 4 years ago and haven't touched it since. I don't know what the humidity level is, all I know is that it keeps the basement from smelling musty and that's all I care about. You may have gotten a lemon.

If the one I have were to crap out tomorrow I would probably buy the same model.

I just jinxed myself.

Old 06-21-12, 06:34 PM
I believe mine is about 65 pints. If I wanted it to run continuously, it wouldn't be a problem. This is my second unit. I returned the first one and got this as a replacement. Behaves just the same.

Old 06-22-12, 08:20 AM
My post wasn't clear. The unit I have cycles at either 2 or 4 hour intervals selected on the front panel. I've had it set at 2 hours since I bought it.

Old 06-22-12, 10:03 PM
Today it's all about quantity not quality. Just like the vintage metal fans that were all steel. Lakewood still made the box fan out of metal with metal blades up till 2006 or something when they were bought out and it was discontinued and replaced with the plastic brace bladed crap. Air king is the only decent box fan company out there.

Old 06-23-12, 05:29 AM
I hate to break your heart on this, but I checked out their web site and their box fans have plastic blades. I do have to stick up for plastic blades. It really comes down to design. If the blades are designed properly and made from the right type of plastic, they should outperform metal blades. There weight savings can be meaningful when using plastic.

After your endorsement, I will be considering them for a box fan purchase. I've been using the cheapo ones form Home Depot. They work ok, but if these are better, I'll be willing to pay $30 more.

Old 06-23-12, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
20" air king has a metal blade.

Commercial Grade Air Circulator Window Fan, Window Fan, Whole House Window Fan, 9166, 9155

I had the 16" version and returned it. Air flow was pitiful.

I was trying to replace this below. I am sorry I tossed it in the garbage. My father had it since he was young and I remember growing up with it.

It was in my parents room and sucked the air through the whole house. ( We were not allowed A/C back in those days.)

Then I had it for awhile. It fit right in front of a standard window. It worked great.

Just my input.

Mike NJ

Old 06-23-12, 08:08 AM
Ah. I thought this type of box fan was being referred to: Lasko 3733 20" Fan Box: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

Old 06-26-12, 04:41 PM
I know air king has plastic blades but its better built then the brace bladed crap out there. This is the fan that was made up till 2006 give or take when the company went out of business or was purchased and this fan discontinued. not my picture Lakewood p-25 front | Flickr - Photo Sharing!