Anybody need a little rain???

Old 06-25-12, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
Anybody need a little rain???

Got plenty of extra we can send you; been raining since Friday and we're up to about 4" so far, although I haven't checked the gauge this morning. At least we're not in the panhandle; they're looking at 10" as Debby goes north. Can't make up its mind which way to go, but chandler may end up with it eventually. Grass will be knee deep by the time it's dry enough to cut.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-12, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't mowed in over 2 weeks. My lawn was almost brown but we had a decent rain shower last week that has revived most of it and now there are a few select spots that could be mowed. Read in the paper the other day that we're expected to have a drier than normal summer. Hope the rain does come this way - we could use it.

Old 06-25-12, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
My house could certainly use it. The past three bouts of storms we've had have all circled around our house. 3 miles away gets flooded with over 2in of rain and we get barely a sprinkle. It's bizzare to watch the radar and see a 5 mile diameter area around our house not getting any rain while everyone else for a hundred miles is getting dumped on.

Old 06-25-12, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
I'll take 2" to go please. Could you put them in separate deliveries though? Don't need any flash floods.

Old 06-25-12, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Just saw the pic the guy from Tarpon Springs [about 100 miles north of us] posted in an Electrical form post, so I'm not complaining any more; 27" - yikes! I hadn't heard that anybody has gotten over about 10".

Old 06-25-12, 09:56 AM
I'll pass.
We've had some rain almost every other day here for three weeks now.
Because of my commute for work, most days I don't have time to cut the grass during the week. The two times I did get it cut in the last three weeks, it was 8-12" long. I've got a decent yard and only a push mower.

Old 06-25-12, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Just had a terrible storm blow over Jersey. Lost power several times this morning. Its out to sea now.

So I will pass on the rain. I have been mowing my lawn every other day, and its getting to be a PITA.

Mike NJ

Old 06-25-12, 10:11 AM
We got the northern end of the same system. Heavy thunderstorms started about 7 AM and it finally passed about 11 AM. We probably got 2 inches of rain.

I'm still mowing twice a week. Usually by now I'm down to every 6-7 days. Fortunately the price of gas is going down. I'm back to less than $20 a week.

Old 06-25-12, 10:56 AM
Fortunately the price of gas is going down. I'm back to less than $20 a week.
Must be nice. Our fuel is still over priced.
It also takes 2 and a half tanks to cut my grass.

Old 06-25-12, 12:57 PM
here in Colo with 11 wildfires burning, 15% humidity, 4th straight day of 100 plus degrees...yea..we could use some rain

Old 06-25-12, 02:35 PM
We only got .6" here today. It was a nice storm to watch when I was at work this morning. I can't believe Mike has to cut his grass every other day.

As far as gasoline, my 2 1/2 gallon container gets me through the summer just fine.

Old 06-25-12, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's weird. Originally Debby was predicted to turn up toward us. 5 day forecast = 0% rain with 95 degrees and 75% humidity. Kubota holds 8 or so gallons of diesel. Has been costing nearly $40 to fill it up, but it cuts a long time on a fill up. Waiting patiently for winter, thankyouverymuch!!

Old 06-25-12, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
I can't believe Mike has to cut his grass every other day.
Yes but I do water in between. I have an oasis here. Lots of flowers to take care of.

My other issue, though not related, I need to find an American flag that will last. Mine often get torn and I retire them in as little as 6 months.

Name:  P06-24-12_15.30[1].jpg
Views: 285
Size:  48.7 KB

And I added bleach to the pool. I have a measuing cup ( 1 cup) out there by the filter in the open. It was full after todays rain. 8 oz in a wide cup. I wonder how many inches?

Mike NJ

Old 06-25-12, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
I have the flag answer for you. Mine is on a 20 ft pole in extreme heat and sun and 25-35 mph winds are a daily thing. We don't consider it windy til we start getting 50 mph gusts. Mine last 18-24 months on average. If it beats on the house, your results may differ.

Annin & Company Catalog - Tough-Tex® US Flags

Here's their selection guide Annin & Company Catalog - Your Guide to Annin’s U.S . Flags if you need a different size than the ToughTex.

Believe it or not...you can find them at WalMart in special displays around July 4th and Memorial Day...but you have to make sure they aren't the cheaper ones.

This is the brand the Navy used when I was in...if they can stand up to being flown 24/7 at sea for months at a time...they darn well will last at your house.

You can order direct or find them on Amazon.

Looks to me like you have plenty of room for a nice flagpole in one of the front sections of the yard.

Old 06-25-12, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Flagpole in his yard He would have to get his scissors out to trim around it for heaven's sake!! I like your yard, Mike. Everything neat and orderly. Even the mower tracks are fairly straight and equally spaced
Takes me 1 1/2 hours with a 60" cut ZTR to cut mine, but that's down from over 2 hours with a finish mower behind "bertha" the tractor.

Old 06-25-12, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Oh I know he already has a trimmer. With that fence he has to.

Maybe a flagpole right in the middle of the walk with the walk surrounding it on each side.

Prob just my military background speaking. You could hold morning and evening colors each day with the wife and kids (and chickens).

Old 06-25-12, 06:20 PM
And I added bleach to the pool. I have a measuing cup ( 1 cup) out there by the filter in the open. It was full after todays rain. 8 oz in a wide cup. I wonder how many inches?
Should be about an inch of rain. The weather stations in Allaire, Ramtown, and Adelphia are reporting in that range.

Old 06-25-12, 07:21 PM
I don't mind the rain just so it isn't a micro burst of air like in Bladensburg Maryland a few towns away from us where a building lost parts of its roof and now some people are temporarily homeless. Here is a link from the Washington Posts Capitol Weather Gang Blog Microburst! Inside the explosive storm that blasted D.C., Md. (Photos/video) - Capital Weather Gang - The Washington Post . I am in College Park and thankfully it wasn't near as bad here but our area has had it bad too and power has been out for nearly a week.

Old 06-25-12, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Yes clippers.. I see a trend in my age living on the coast all my life. It used to be "April showers bring May flowers."

Well its June thunderstorms now. I remember as a child April was bad with storms. Not no more. This is just my perceptive of living in NJ and other regions may vary. But I think our weather is different then a few generations ago.

Geez I remember winters with snow up the kazoo for weeks.... Ugg have not had a good winter as long as I could remember from my child hood. Maybe a age thing, but I dont think so.

Global warming? I don't think so. I think its more inline with the orbit and axis of the earth. But that's just my thinking. Its all natural IMO.

Be self sustained for what the future may bring....

Mike NJ

Old 06-25-12, 09:55 PM
Sure, send me a couple or three inches. We've watched the rain fall all around us over the last couple of weeks, but not exactly here.

I'm thinking of mowing tomorrow - I'll probably wrap up the pruning for sure. But the mowing is a definite maybe - doesn't really need shortening but could use a little evening out.

Gas? No, thanks. I think I'll just plug it in instead.

Old 06-26-12, 04:16 AM
Yes but I do water in between. I have an oasis here. Lots of flowers to take care of.

My other issue, though not related, I need to find an American flag that will last. Mine often get torn and I retire them in as little as 6 months.
I am having a hard time keeping up with the landscaping where I am. Wish the previous owners had kept mine as clean and simple as you have.

As for the flag.... 6 months is about right I think. That is what we where getting with our flag at the previous house.

Well its June thunderstorms now. I remember as a child April was bad with storms. Not no more. This is just my perceptive of living in NJ and other regions may vary. But I think our weather is different then a few generations ago.

Geez I remember winters with snow up the kazoo for weeks.... Ugg have not had a good winter as long as I could remember from my child hood. Maybe a age thing, but I dont think so.

Global warming? I don't think so. I think its more inline with the orbit and axis of the earth. But that's just my thinking. Its all natural IMO.
I will agree with you and think that you are correct with the axis of the earth.
We use to have tons of snow here by early december when I was a kid (20-25yrs ago). Now I am parking my summer car middle to late November and we might have the snow machines out during Christmas break.

Old 06-26-12, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Nice grass, Mike.

Yeah, Debby was supposed to be headed for chandler's neck of the woods but now looks to cut due east across Florida. Another half inch today and windy - 30 knots probably and gusting higher - and at last position check it's 175 miles away. Hoping things dry up enough to cut the grass by the end of the week; it's getting pretty high.

Old 06-26-12, 12:55 PM
I can vouch for the Tough Tex flag. Mine flies 24/7 and they last a couple of years. I think around $30 at WalMart.

Mike I think if there were an axis/orbit change every amatuer astronomer would be aware of it. I don't see how anyone can argue against global warming, the argument is why. Politics and grant driven research just muddles the issue. Add to that the thought that if the warming continues - we're all gonna' fry. I think the latter is why there is lots of denial.

Personally I believe global warming is fact and I also believe that it is a natural cycle.

Old 06-26-12, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
I was going to post a link but cant get the link to work with a power point presentation.

Anyway I feel its more a natural climate change, but regardless, that's a whole argument that probably should have its own thread started...LOL

Mike NJ

Old 06-26-12, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Once again Sunday afternoon storms got within 3 miles of us and nothing, only to form a solid line 3 miles on the other side of us and make the news with minor flash flooding. I won't bother posting a picture of my yard. It's brown and weedy. At least today Mother Nature gave us breezes, blue skies and highs just touching 80. A little reprieve before we hit 100 later this week.

Old 06-27-12, 03:52 AM
Group Moderator
Downpour this am about 5:00-ish. Hopefully last of Debby.