My rant for the day------China made product advertised as American made

Old 06-29-12, 05:52 AM
My rant for the day------China made product advertised as American made

I just wish there was something that could be done in this situation
Although this product was cheap, it had "Proudly Made In USA" printed on the product label.
I had my doughts when I first used it. Upon inspection, I saw Made in China on two parts of the plastic housing (concealed on inside)
I contacted the company and stated my reason for buying was that it was American made.
They only gave a vague answer that didn't really make sense.
I took the product back to the store and got a refund.
I just wish there was somewhere to report this false advertising

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-12, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
Might be a city in China name "Usa". Old trick the Japanese pioneered many moons ago when "Made in Japan" was really bad. Actually a myth, but a good story anyway.

Old 06-29-12, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
You could always report it to the state attorney general, but I'm pretty sure they have bigger fish to fry.

That does seem misleading.... more like "Proudly assembled in the USA from Chinese parts".

Old 06-29-12, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
You'll have to read up on what it takes to qualify as "made in USA". Generally 51% of it's physical content (parts) or labor or value added content is required to legally claim to be made in the USA. For many products the physical pieces that are imported are so cheap that all it takes is assembling or packaging them in the US for it to qualify as made in USA. If you really want to split hairs look into what places qualify as a US manufacturing location. Hint look at the map of the western Pacific over near Guam.

Old 06-29-12, 07:55 AM
The U.S. labeling for consumers is very loose and ineffective.

An item assembled in the U.S. from parts and components from different countries usually is "under the radar" when it comes to truth in labeling.

Some countries have very strict labeling and a differentiation between made in "XXX" and assembled in "XXX". As a matter of pride, China is one that usually has strict labeling and one of the reasons you see many internal parts identified by "Made in China", while other countries do not have a source requirement. In China, it is common to see the "Assembled in China" on a product as opposed to "Made in China" to show the differentiation where the parts come from numerous countries. It does get a little tricky with the products that contain many parts that just cannot show the source because of size or function (especially electronics and any tools) since the ultimate assembler has parts plants in different countries.

The days of "Made in" meaning something are really gone as the world shrinks and companies are becoming more multinational. On some products, it would take a small book to list all the individual parts sources and that would be not accurate since sources for parts can change almost weekly.

Dick

Old 06-29-12, 08:01 AM
Pilot Dane beat me to it.
"Made in the USA" also translates into "Assembled in the USA".

I think the labor calculated is dollar values and not time. These parts are cheap to make else where because labor is cheap.
To further argue it, a plastic cover isn't vacume, compressor, etc, it's only a plastic piece. Attach it to the other stuff on American soil and bam, made in the US.

On a bit of a side note.... Not sold on the "Buy US" or "Buy Canada" movement. I'll take products made in North America over the imports because of general quality concerns. That is of course only if the price can seriously justify it.
In the end, supporting my neighbor is only good if I can support myself.

Old 06-29-12, 08:28 AM
To me--it's not just that an item must be made in America, it's the QUALITY of the product. From my experience, there are quality products from many countries around the world but I have yet to purchase a Communist made product that meets my standards of quality
Practically all name brand power tools--drills,saws,wrenches etc., are all foreign made
I took my last power tool back to the store for a refund about two years ago and have since bought used American, German and Japanese made tools from Ebay and pawn shops
Good thing is----I use many of my tools everyday and I have not had a single failure
Many of the "name brand" and trusted companies have moved their product manufacturing overseas and their quality is GONE!!
Of course this was done decause manufacturing cost in this country is much greater and the product price can be lowered with cheaper product components and --in many cases---child labor
I have found that most failures are due to material quality and not workmenship or design.
Just sad that we are sometimes forced to purchase communist--child made products.

Old 06-29-12, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
About 15 years ago I/we made production equipment for a very prominent, old american brand. We did assembly lines for toaster ovens, coffee makers, flashlights, various power tools... Then the company was sold, sorta. I found it very odd that this one company with one brand name and logo was broken up to various purchasers. Home kitchen products for the North American market were sold to one company, hand tools were sold to someone else and power tools to yet another company. To this day they are still being sold under the original brand name and trade marked logo though they are actually totally separate companies.

It was sad to see the factories leave the country. We were paid to disassemble the equipment and assembly lines here in the US and containerize them for shipment to other countries. In some cases the equipment was "shipped to" and I really emphasize the air quotes to a country offering credits to bring that production line to their country. The company also received incentives from the US Government as aid to this ally and developing nation. Equipment was packed into containers but it got very fuzzy from there and I know many of the production lines were never installed where they were supposed to. Collect the money, drag your feet, things get fuzzy over time, one year's accounting is hard to translate to next years new accounting rules and before you know it someone made off with a lot of money and did not do what they said.

Old 06-29-12, 09:04 AM
Being younger (early 30's) I am still picking up tools here and there that I don't have. If I can afford to wait and search, I'll by older used stuff as it generally was the best of the best in it's time and the craftsmanship and materials are good.
QA is almost non-existent now a days. I can't think of any industry that makes products now that will see the life expectancy of the old stuff.
Sure some of the new stuff is quicker, more efficient, but for tools, a drill is a drill and a screw driver is a screw driver.

Old 06-29-12, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
I still use most of my grandfather's tools. Even the power tools from the 50's and 60's still work and have outlived many of their newer replacements.

Old 06-29-12, 09:50 AM
I remember when the only good cameras available were Zeiss and Leica from Germany and Kodak was a cheaper inferior camera, but better than the other U.S. cameras. Along came Japan companies that made good "knock-offs" of the German cameras and improved them because of the availability of manpower and the need to respond to the market demands that were changing. These cameras are now Nikon and Canon plus the myriad of newer companies that have also advanced the optics industry far beyond the U.S. industry. Now, Japan probably has the highest labor cost in the world because of the demand and lack of any labor. China also is experiencing labor cost problems because of other countries and even has to deal with illegal aliens, as the world's largest market (1,300,000,000 population) expands far beyond the smaller markets like the U.S.

I always get a kick out of the people that use the old "canned" phrase of cheap child labor and an excuse for the U.S. products not being competitive. As an example, clothing from Walmart is made by numerous different Chinese producers to Walmart's specifications. Who knows where the fabric comes from because it is all manufactured in who knows where. Obviously, a bunch of starved children paid meaningless low wages cannot produce enough or be competitive compared the real automated (and semi-automated) clothing production lines using American of similar equipment.

On top of that, the clothing is shipped from China to the U.S. in the largest (carrier plus sized), most advanced, low man-hour labor cost (crew of 13) ships that use far less fuel and arrive 4 days earlier than conventional ships. On top of that, because of fast delivery the retailer does not have to build as much warehouse space to hold the extra advance materials because the turn-over is faster.

Dick

Old 06-29-12, 11:19 AM
Things are definitely changing. The labor costs in China are on the rise. The high cost of oil is also putting pressure on shipping costs. I believe you will see more manufacturing coming back to North America for these reasons. There are still other areas of the world that have low labor costs, but they don't have the infrastructure. Prime example of this is India.

Old 06-29-12, 11:27 AM
You'll also see the 'Buy American' insentives push some stuff back to the US.
Not sure if that will impact the quality of things, but will probably impact the price.

Old 06-29-12, 07:41 PM
Today its all about quantity not quality. make the most for cheap and make sure it breaks right after the warranty expires. How do stores make money when people return a product that fails the next days,Oh yeah the "extended warranty" .

Old 06-29-12, 08:16 PM
You know there is a quality problem when you go to one of the BB stores and find returned murchandise in nearly every department. Although I have been told by managers of stores that returned items are not restocked. That's BS!!
For the last couple of years, I have been thoroughly checking out items before purchase. If it is boxed up--like a celing fan----I get a store clerk to assist me with the inspection.
Many times the assisting clerk was just as surprised as I was.
About a year ago, my wife sent me to buy a cooking pan set from one of the BB stores. The store clerk and I inspected , what appeared to be an UN-OPENED box, to discover a lot of broken pieces of junk, packed tight with newspaper!!
I know this sounds unbelievable, but it is TRUE. We opened another box and it was OK.
What if I had taken the first box home, opened it up, and returened it

Old 06-30-12, 05:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One of my clients bought a vanity and brought it with them when they visited their cabin. I'm not talking a cheap dollarwise ($400), but upon opening the undamaged box, all the particleboard parts were demolished. Not from their handling. Packing was inferior. Upon further inspection I saw the magic tag......Made in China. I would have rather made a cabinet in my shop, taken a loss on the cost and given them a quality solid wood cabinet, but time was of the essence for them. They were able to return it to big blue, where the floor manager told them he had 5 in stock.....3 of which were damaged .

Old 06-30-12, 02:45 PM
I wonder if maybe the stores damage the merchandise hoping you won't notice till you get home so they can scam you out of money. Did you read about the I-pad incident where you get home only to find instead of a I-pad you got a few pads of paper and the stores won't refund your money.

Old 06-30-12, 02:57 PM
No --the store clerk told me that sometimes happens. She said people will buy an item, replace contents with anything they can find to return the box to it's original weight. They then return for a refund.
So much for a store not restocking returned merchandise
That was the only time I have ever run into this but I have discovered many damaged or returned items.

Last edited by Giles; 06-30-12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-30-12, 03:07 PM
Flirty1, you spend $600 on an IPad and don't open it until you get home? Not in the real world. That booger is opened before the cash register ring silences. Anyone who waits until they get home just aren't connected brain wise.

Old 06-30-12, 11:10 PM
There's at least 3 reports of people opening the box when they got home only to find pads of paper. All the Ipads that had the paper instead came from wally world.
here's that story These Walmart Customers Say They Bought iPads, But All They Found In The Boxes Was Paper - Business Insider

here's another one that instead of paper it's a block of clay New iPad Scam Leaves Customers Without an Apple | WebProNews

Old 07-01-12, 04:28 AM
You can't legislate "stupid".........I work too hard for my money.