Pictures vs photos

Old 06-30-12, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Pictures vs photos

Can someone tell me when the word "photo" took over from "picture"?

Used to be it was "let me show you a picture"...now it's "let me show you a photo". I hear it all the time on TV shows, read it in newpapers, and in general conversation with people.

I know we say pictures here when requesting more info but it seems like photo is more common elsewhere.

Is it an age and techie thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-12, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Hmm... great question. I suppose the same question could apply to a picture show vs a movie? Picture show seems a bit outdated.

I know some snobby photographers who would never refer to their work as taking "pictures".

I would suppose that a "photo" is a specific word referring to a photograph that was taken with a camera. The word photo is taken from a Greek word meaning light, so the word photo is really an abbreviation for an image captured by means of light.

Picture is a broader term that could refer to the actual printout of a photograph, or a painting, a drawing, and so on. Picture can also be used metaphorically, such as, "she is the picture (or image) of perfection".

Many images are photos or pictures, but not all images are pictures. A shadow is an image, or a statue/idol is an image. But I could also show you a picture of a photo that I took of an image. LOL

What brought this up, Vic?

Old 06-30-12, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Oh heck I dunno what brought it up...it just seems like I hear it more and more.

Police drama..."Please look at these photos.". At a race my wife ran...."Did you get a photo of the finish?". Even here I think I've seen a reply "I'll try to take a photo tomorrow".

Just seems an odd change in common terminology to me.

No one says what a pretty picture when they look at a painting (I don't think). Even hanger hardware says "picture hangers" ...not "photo hangers". Ever heard of a photo frame?

Old 06-30-12, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Vic must be out in the garage on that computer. Heat is getting to him.....or is it the humidity? I get them confused.

Old 06-30-12, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Awww jeez Larry..last time I ask a simple opinion question of you guys! Lol...

There's a new one coming up in a few minutes in the tools area....

btw...my garage is 75 right now....101 outside. Love it when the swamp cooler is working due to the LOW humidity. 4% right now.......what's yours?

Old 06-30-12, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
How about those runners who tied the other day in that "photo" finish? No one says "picture" finish... LOL

I should be drinking a beer in Vic's garage... I just came in from my shop and it's darn near 90F in there, 55% humidity. The lacquer is drying too fast today, showing some atomization in the finish. Don't like that!

Old 06-30-12, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
showing some atomization in the finish
huh?? atomization is where the paint and air mix together to form the spray.
Maybe some dry spots or orange peel? might need a slower drying thinner.

It's been 40 yrs or more since I've been to arizona.... but I doubt the humidity is getting to Vic but I remember the heat - it could bake a brain 102 degrees here this afternoon

I think picture is still used more than photo around here.

Old 06-30-12, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, the atomization is showing up as orange peel... I will probably need to give it a 3rd coat, maybe a little heavier on the material this time. Not sure if adding a little thinner to the lacquer would really help, it might make it flash even faster...

I could take a photo of it and then post the picture....

Old 06-30-12, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't use lacquers very often, I know with a lot of other coatings you can get thinners that dry faster or slower. I don't know for sure if they have a slower drying lacquer thinner
A heavier coat should eliminate the orange peel..... as long as it doesn't sag/run

Old 06-30-12, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Humidity is at 40% right now. Let's see 102 at 40%.....makes the wind chill factor....oops, wrong season.

Old 06-30-12, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
To me, a photo is a physical piece of paper with an image on it. A picture (or pict) is an image on a screen/display or a digital file.

Old 06-30-12, 05:38 PM
A photo refers to film. Picture is the word used by the general public. I think it's about 50/50 here. I think I'm using "images" more to refer to digital pics. Shrug! Language changes over time.

As for the lacquer, you will need to use a retarder. I don't think thinner will do it, but you can try. More thinner will take longer to flash off, but the problem is the finish is forming a skin too fast before it can level out. So more thinner or a heavier coat may not solve the problem. Spray in the morning before the sun gets too hot.

Old 06-30-12, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks Drooplug,

I did a little of both. added 10% lacquer thinner to make it a bit more fluid, and opened the needle a little more to spray more volume. I also adjusted my fan pattern to 45 rather than 90 so as to concentrate the coverage a bit more. The 3rd coat melted in nicely and now looks like glass.

Using SW Hi-Bild which is what I use all the time, not doing anything different so it must be the high temps and humidity (now 65%!) today. Sure wish I had an air conditioned shop like Vic!

Old 06-30-12, 06:25 PM
Yeah, definitely the temps. I know high humidity will cause blushing, not sure if it plays a roll with orange peel, though.

Search this Thread