Did I over react?

Old 07-10-12, 11:52 AM
Did I over react?

My wife says I did.

I stopped at a supermarket this AM to pick up a half dozen items of produce. As the cashier was checking me out the bagger pulled a snotty, used tissue out of her smock and blew her nose loudly. She picked up a bottle of Germ X and did a less than half a**ed attempt to clean her hands. She said something to the cashier about "needing to get some antibiotics". Then she proceeded to continue bagging my stuff.

I told the cashier I no longer wanted my purchase and wasn't paying for it. I walked away leaving the stuff behind. I sent an e-mail to the store manager informing him of what happened and I put the store in a 6 month time out.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-12, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe but I don't know that I'd have reacted differently.

Old 07-10-12, 12:22 PM
Hard to say. I guess it would all depend how it actually happen.
If it all happen quietly and calmly, I think it was handled appropriately.
If this story was about my mother in-law in your shoes, I woulds say ya, it was way over the top (she tends to make a big seen).

If it was me, I may or may not have done what you did. All depends on how exactly it happen.

Old 07-10-12, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
The thing is, you don't know who touched anything in a store before you picked it up to buy it. Did the stocker wash their hands? Did a kid sitting in a cart sneeze or cough on it? You don't know and that's why we need to wash things first anyway.
I probably would have just told them I'll finish bagging so they can wash their hands.

Old 07-10-12, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Never thought about it until Shadeladie's response - we have to bag our own groceries at most of the stores around here so I guess this wouldn't have happened to me in the first place

Old 07-10-12, 01:50 PM
The thing is, you don't know who touched anything in a store before you picked it up to buy it. Did the stocker wash their hands? Did a kid sitting in a cart sneeze or cough on it? You don't know and that's why we need to wash things first anyway.
I probably would have just told them I'll finish bagging so they can wash their hands.
The problem is the Wayne knows who exactly touched them. I don't know if I would have walked out on the groceries, but that would certainly be an option for me. I may have told the bagger to stop bagging my things.

Shadeladie, do you really wash your boxes of pasta and drier sheets?

Old 07-10-12, 02:26 PM
I have seen thing like that at the grocery store too and it creeps me out I really don't like it when a cashier or checker has a cold. I have gone on home with my groceries anyway as after taking all of that time in the store I don't want to waste it. I just keep an eye on the things that might go directly to my mouth like soda pop and if a checker who has a cold handles it then before it goes in the refrigerator it gets rinsed off with hot water. Other things it depends but I keep plenty of vitamin C on hand and don't get many colds. Some say vitamin C does nothing well it works for me.

Old 07-10-12, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Total overreaction!!! I had more but I will keep it nice and friendly.

Old 07-10-12, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Shadeladie, do you really wash your boxes of pasta and drier sheets?
He's talking about produce, so I was talking about produce.

I stopped at a supermarket this AM to pick up a half dozen items of produce.

Old 07-10-12, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
The more germs you are exposed to...the better your immune system will be. lol

I probably might have asked to bag my own and replaced the ones already handled....but at the same time...have you ever watched people shopping? Cough cough in the hand...pick up an apple and replace in. Sneeze in the hand, wipe on the pants, pick up some lettuce, look at it...pick up another.

Granted....employees should be better trained.

Old 07-10-12, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Granted....employees should be better trained.

She picked up a bottle of Germ X and did a less than half a**ed attempt to clean her hands.

I was not there but It sounds like she went above and beyond what I have seen with the food industry.

Has anyone went to work sick as a dog? I have lots of times. The reason being you need to pay bills. Possibly she is paying a car loan, collage, rent bills or a single mom trying her hardest to make ends meet for her family. Don't know I was not there.

With people how they are today in the workforce I myself would more likely commend someone for showing up when they are under the weather. But that's just me. I am more of an optimist and look at the better side of things.

"When life throws you lemons, make lemon aid".

Just my opinion.

Old 07-10-12, 07:25 PM
Lets look at the other side of the coin. My wife works at a major grocery chain as a cashier. The reason she gets sick is because sick people come thru her line passing germs, even coughing and sneezing on her. She also gets the brunt of complaints, because everyone yells at the cashier. She also has the alchohol hand cleaner too. The sad thing is, that the groceries that are left behind have to be thrown out, they are not restocked..Its store policy. has to do with the time it was out and other things

Old 07-10-12, 08:18 PM
Over reacted big time! Have you ever thought about all the rats and other creepy crawlers that took a dump on your precious produce on the way to the store?

Have you read about all the germs on a grocery cart and your money let alone on your kitchen counter?

Take it home and wash it.

Old 07-11-12, 01:24 AM
Do they really throw it out or do they say its company policy to avoid being sued? my mom will wash things like cans a jars off and sometimes will wipe the plastic gallon milk container off before putting it in the fridge. As for things like boxes of noodles I think boiling them in water when you cook them will kill any germs or at least some of them depending how long you cook them.

Old 07-11-12, 07:44 AM
Groceries are restocked. It happens all the time. I know that first hand. However, if the store decided to toss the stuff, good for them. I'm not a germaphobe - far from it. However, I'll not accept something that I saw get contaminated.

I'll ask a question - if some sick person ("I need antibiotics . . .") sneezed on an apple and then handed it to you, would you a. eat it, b. rinse it off and eat it or, c. refuse it?

Mike - Typhoid Mary would have loved you. People with a contagious illness should stay home. Simple as that. The fact that they want to make money doesn't give them the right to pass their sickness on to other people.

Old 07-11-12, 07:50 AM
Baldwin - there is a huge difference between an item that is dirty from a warehouse and an item that has been contaminated by an obviously sick individual.

BTW - I got through two military survival courses. I'll eat (and have eaten) most anything. I just don't want a sick person blowing their nose on it first.

Old 07-11-12, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
I'll ask a question - if some sick person ("I need antibiotics . . .") sneezed on an apple and then handed it to you, would you a. eat it, b. rinse it off and eat it or, c. refuse it?
D. Throw it at her.

Mike - Typhoid Mary would have loved you. People with a contagious illness should stay home. Simple as that. The fact that they want to make money doesn't give them the right to pass their sickness on to other people.
Yes I understand Wayne. I am more lenient in what is wrong or right in the world. I really don't let things bother me. Negative thoughts and worry just attract more of the same. It kind of makes you sick. Its the karma thing IMO. It comes back.

But in all honesty you really do not know what contagious disease she actually had, do you?

And the other side of the coin is you posted the question here, so you need to accept both sides of the politically/non-politically correct answers you have been getting. Don't take it to heart. Were are all friends here.

I thought it was a good discussion.

Old 07-11-12, 09:46 AM
I agree with the "can't sterolize everything" train of thought and am one of those people that don't get excited by a bit of dirt.

That being said, in a public place where you are handling people's food... This employee should have been sent home or placed on another task. Minimum wage jobs are hard to keep staffed these days, but they could have had this person in the back doing inventory or cleaning. Any food (produce) that the employee could have had direct contact with should be washed anyway.

Hopefully your call informed the manager if they wheren't aware, that this employee shouldn't be working where they where in the condition they where in.

Old 07-11-12, 02:45 PM
I think it would be reasonable to say that the sooner you touch something that has been contaminated, the more likely you are to get sick.