Friday the 13th Bizarre but True

Old 07-13-12, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Friday the 13th Bizarre but True

Ok, let's see if anyone has had a bizarre but true Friday the 13th that can top this. I'm not looking for tragic. But if something bizarre happened today that makes you shake your head and wonder "how in the world"...

I'm purposfully making this long. I have some pictures of a dead animal that some may not want to see so I'm trying to make sure you have to scroll down to see it.

SPOILER ALERT:

If you do NOT want to see a dead snake do NOT scroll down.

Here's my Friday the 13th weirdness.

I got out a seldom used pump and piping to do some watering. It's a 2" pump so it's hoses are much larger than your normal garden hose. I hitched the pump up to the golf cart, loaded the fire hose and misc. bits into the cart and on the way to the pond picked up the flexible hose section I use for the intake which I've had lying down by the woods for a couple years.

The pipe is 20 feet long and about 2 1/2" diameter on the outside so it's a bit to handle. I managed to pick it up and bang the ends out to remove the forest bits that accumulated over a couple years. I threaded it through the bag carrier on the back of the golf cart and drove down to the pond.

This is getting too long and boring.

Bla... bla...bla...

I had the intake hose hooked up but left the output open so I could run it to flush out any debris. The water gushed out for what I thought was a long enough time.

I hooked up the fire hose to the output and started the pump. It started to snap to life as it filled with water and then it stopped.

I straightened out the hose to make sure the kinks were not stopping the flow.

I made sure the nozzle was open.

Finally I went to the pump and heard a buzzing sound. I revved it up and the buzzing continued. I felt the bearing housing. Nope, not it.

I unhooked the fire hose and re-started the engine. I weak dribble came out. Hmmm. That's odd. It was gushing solid just a minute ago.

So, I shut the engine down again and pulled off the intake hose to see a black garden hose folded up inside the intake hose. I pull a bit more and realize it's not a black garden hose. It has scales.

I pull and I pull. The snake will not come out. I pulled so hard the end of it's tail came off.

Now I realize that I'm going to have to disassemble the pump so I head up to the house to grab the tools and the camera because nobody's going to believe this.

Well, if you want to see the proof keep scrolling down.

Warning: There are photos of a dead snake in a pump if you scroll down.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-12, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Well, here's the proof. Not even an hour old.

Time to start taking the pump apart.

I finally got it out but the front end is noticeably missing. The pump turns free and there are no more bits I can see. I put it back together and ran it without the fire hose and it flowed properly. So, I hooked the fire hose back up and I get a weak dribble. By this point I'm connecting the dots much faster and pull of the nozzle.

There's the front part of the snake.

Old 07-13-12, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
I couldn't top that even if I made something up.

Old 07-13-12, 06:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
But much of the good meat is still left!! Split open, skewer and put in front of a campfire. Yum. Just kiddin', Dane!

Old 07-13-12, 09:26 PM
Well you know Larry they say snake tastes just like chicken. I guess if I was desperate and in the woods I might eat snake but only then. I think Pilot Dane has my day beat as it was peacefully uneventful. Just wish though more things we had bought and ordered had arrived but otherwise no complaints.

Old 07-14-12, 05:45 AM
I bet that was one surprised reptile when you started the pump. I wonder how long it had been in there.

I've eaten snake a couple of times. It tastes like snake.

Actually, it's pretty good especially when you are really, really hungry. I had it as an appetizer at semi fancy restaurant in Colorado and it was really good. I even got my wife to try it.

Old 07-20-12, 08:00 AM
They say that snakes really tastes something like chicken but I really don't want to try. When I saw the picture of the snake caught up (meat-grinder style) in the water pump, it gave me the creeps. Were you able to know what kind of snake it was? Whether it was venomous or not? I asked this question because I'm worried that there are other snakes around your place similar to the one that was killed. Better check around just to be on the safe side...

Old 07-20-12, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
I think it was a black racer which is pretty common and not poisonous. And, yes. There are a lot of other snakes around our property. I almost stepped on a copperhead a few weeks ago, and they are poisonous.

Old 07-20-12, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
But the venom is held in the head area, so eating the meat of a poisonous snake is not harmful.....unless you forget to kill it first