Tech Problem, Editing Posts Is Flaky, Typing Stops

Old 07-14-12, 04:51 AM
Tech Problem, Editing Posts Is Flaky, Typing Stops

When typing, particularly when editing a post, often the characters stop appearing in the edit box while I am still typing.

(If I save the changes, the characters that did not appear while I was typing still don't appear.)

Anyone have insight into what is happening?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-12, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Typing is strictly local. Your individual keystrokes are not processed over the Internet. Once a screen is drawn by your browser the site is not part of the procedure again until you submit the post. Does this happen every time or rarely? Have you tried different browsers? Do you have multiple apps running? What is your CPU speed.

Old 07-14-12, 06:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Ray. Your buffer is overloaded with another application. I'd try to eliminate as many running apps as possible.
Many years ago.....many......I could type faster than an IBM selectric could process it. I would get through with my typing and it would still be putting letters on the paper for about 2 or 3 seconds.

Old 07-14-12, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
The thing I notice sometimes (my computer is 12 yrs old) is that this website has SO MANY ads that load, that sometimes the page won't load completely (even though I have high speed) and it acts like it's waiting on the page to load. But I think Chandler and Ray are right... that its mostly about your computer speed (probably the RAM cache available for such processes). If you are noticing other things on your computer acting a bit slow, that's probably what it is. Hit ctrl-alt-delete, then select the performance tab, and notice what the "commit charge" is. Mine is often pretty full... 1130K of 1376K right now... wouldn't take many more processes to give my CPU a stroke. lol

I haven't notice the "no typing" thing here, but I have on a few other sites. Usually I am waiting for pages to load, like when I hit submit it takes a while for it to go to the new page. Always blamed those darn google ads.

Old 07-14-12, 09:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
I also noticed an interruption during typing at times. I simply "Grin & Bare" it....

Auto Save can and does often interrupt typing IMO. Once typing begins, using the Quick Reply window, auto save begins. At times it interrupts typing while saving already printed text.

To help reduce this effect, I have extended the time span between saves to help reduce the interruptions during long typing times. Have not found a way to eliminate the auto save nor extend the time span further best as I can determine. May be all or part of the condition expressed here and effect some users while not effecting others......

Web Site Admin

Old 07-14-12, 07:38 PM
Welcome back, Tom. I have actually found the auto save feature useful, but never thought I would. Sometimes when doing a quick reply, I decide to add a picture. UhOh, can't do that without doing a full reply. Go back do a full reply hit autosave and proceed with posting picture.

Old 07-15-12, 07:35 PM
It's not a question of the IBM selectric putting characters on the page several seconds after I am done typing. For me the characters that don't appear never appear, not 3 seconds later, not 3 minutes later, never.

CPU usage occasionally spikes up to near 100% but most oft he time it's much lower, under 20%.
Page file usage was well under 50%
Commit charge was well under 50%, usuallly about 33%

Old 07-16-12, 03:07 AM
With CPU usage spiking at 100% and hovering at 20%, you've got a lot of stuff open that is demanding attention. With Outlook and Firefox open, one tab my CPU is hovering at 0% and spiking at 4 to 15%. When I reload this page it does go to 100% for about a second, but settles back down. May have something to do with it, but I still think it is your computer not being able to buffer it correctly. It is odd that the letters never show up, however.

Old 07-16-12, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
I would wonder if it ALWAYS happens when editing a post, or if it just happens sometimes. One of the things that puts my computer over the edge and really slows things down is when it is doing an anti-virus update or a windows update download in the background. Sometimes you don't even know it's doing it until everything comes to a standstill and you're like, "what the heck?" Chrome updates automatically too. I think a lot of stuff (java, acrobat, adobe) all look online for updates so if you get enough things doing that it might cause some sporadic problems.

Search this Thread