Weird But True

Old 07-16-12, 08:18 PM
Weird But True

Not sure if anyone saw this story on the news but it is the story of a funeral home owner who of all things wants to open a Starbucks in his funeral home. The funeral home is in Easley South Carolina, I first saw this on our fox affiliate and have a link to a short story on the Washington Posts website here is the link South Carolina funeral home plans to offer Starbucks experience for those needing comfort - The Washington Post. I told my friend about it who lives near a small town while in Tennessee and he said he sees a great deal of that in the small towns where he lives, must be a small town thing. Anyone hear stories like that?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-12, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Nope. We Yankees north of the Mason-Dixon line don't see too much of that stuff.

Old 07-17-12, 03:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The funeral home is just supplementing their income from a "dead" business to keep their place open. It is opened for public use during non funeral times. I would have chosen Dunkin Donuts, though.....less expensive. Our local grocery store opened a Starbucks in the lobby. Locals don't use it much due to the cost and complexity of things. 4 critera for coffee -- Hot, Black, Fresh and Strong. Otherwise pour it on your plants.
Hey, Mike, I grew up thinking the Mason Dixon line was I-20 so go figure. And, you're barely north of it, anyway.
Just for historical information (I like history) here's a cornerstone to the MD line. Quite impressive work they did back in the 1700's.

Attachment 1951

Old 07-17-12, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Other than reading that story a few days ago I'd never heard of funeral homes doing anything like that ... ..... maybe they have trouble getting their customers to wake up and figured coffee might help

Old 07-17-12, 08:38 AM
Most of the supermarkets in my area have Starbuck's near their bakery section. Every time I go in I see a line of people paying out their nose for that crap. Umm, I'll have an Organic Ethiopian Sidamo Latte please.

I get mine at the commissary. Like Chandler said, hot, black, fresh and strong and in the case of the commissary, it's free.

Old 07-17-12, 01:43 PM
My friend said he wouldn't mind using that Starbucks as long as the counter wasn't a Coffin. I guess I wouldn't either and in all fairness to the owner of the funeral home I saw pictures of the work they are doing and it will be a bit classier than most as it will have a fire place. They might still have video on my Fox stations website but I don't have time now to look it up. I did a survey once where I was given a Starbucks gift card and I took my mom and her friend there and we all had coffee there. To be honest the coffee wasn't bad but if I didn't have the gift card I could have bought coffee that tasted the same only for half the price at Seven Eleven. Anyway I still think it is a little weird but interesting weird too! Thanks for the picture of the Mason Dixon line marker Larry I never even knew one existed but always knew that once you were in Pennsylvania you were up north.

Old 07-17-12, 08:55 PM
The thing with starbucks is they burn the coffee beans. That's great for espressos mocha's frappo whatevers but for a regular cup of coffee it's bitter.

Old 07-18-12, 06:30 PM
The Mason-Dixon line forms the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania. It also forms the boundary between Maryland and Delaware. Mason and Dixon are the two men that surveyed and marked the boundary. The line was established to settle a dispute between PA and MD.

Old 07-18-12, 07:50 PM
I always knew about the boundary line but not the marker as I said to Larry. One thing though I never knew is that they had also surveyed Delaware too thanks drooplug for the additional information. Been a long time since we were in Delaware most of the time we would go to Pennsylvania and the dutch country area mainly in Lancaster and Reading. Really liked that food up there.

Old 07-22-12, 11:07 PM
I wonder if you guys remember this old Dunkin Donuts commercial with the late Michael Vale as Fred the baker. I post it here to bring a bit of nostalgia here and I think it is funny too. I doubt that Dunkin Donuts will mind. I found this on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwfrBbNo5Jg

Old 07-31-12, 03:25 AM
I wonder why all Dunkin Donuts closed here in my city. I doubt if they're having customer issues.

Old 07-31-12, 04:13 AM
Since you didn't fill out your profile, we don't know what city you are talking about. Fill out your profile.

Old 07-31-12, 04:28 PM
I like that in MA there is a donu chain called "dippin donuts". The font used is the same as dunkin donuts and it has a goofy color scheme like dunkin as well. Total rip off.

Found their site: Dippin' Donuts

Old 08-02-12, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the link to Dippin' Donuts drooplug I agree it is a rip off of their name. I haven't heard any complaints though from Dunkin Donuts so I doubt they are too worried right now. If they start having more locations then they might try to get them to change their name.
Another thing I have for the weird but true files is I was told that there was going to be a McDonald's built nearby with a second story I thought no that can't be I have never seen a two story McDonald's well I recently did a search on Google and they are out there. So weird but true and also understandable as more people now are going to McDonald's because it is cheaper. Just wonder how good the seating will be on the lower level?

Old 08-02-12, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Lol...2 story McDs? I've seen more than that....

Ground level entrance...a basement area and an upper floor. Either Hong Kong or maybe Sydney....possibly in the UK somewhere?

Old 08-02-12, 08:37 PM
Basement levels too. If I hadn't seen pictures of those McDonald's I might not have believed that but I do believe it. It just goes to show you how much McDonald's or any company for that matter will go to make money. I heard they will make more places for the kids possibly outside so in a way it will kind of be a throw back to the old days. Anyway it will be interesting and no I don't think this McDonald's will have a basement. Lol

Old 08-03-12, 06:00 AM
I've seen two story McDonalds in Bologna. They offered both standard McD fare along with more traditional Italian dishes.

McD's is the best place in Europe to find a public bathroom.

Old 08-03-12, 07:39 AM
I've seen a number of these 2 story locations.
Most have been in downtown cores where horizontal space is a prime.

The first one that comes to mind is the location on Young street in Toronto.