Think you got it bad???

Old 07-19-12, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Think you got it bad???

I was going to post it in Windows and Doors, but it probably wasn't necessary. Got a call from a client who just had his double chimney jacked back to where it somewhat met the house after settling away a few years ago. IMO, 1/4 pound of C4 would have fixed it better
Windows on chimney side needed "caulking" according to him (see pix). It would have taken two rolls of backer rod and 17 tubes of caulking to do one window. Had to get into "thinking" mode.
Attachment 2001

Attachment 2002

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-12, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Brickmould against a brick surface? Unheard of!

Hey, wait a minute... I thought you said your guys don't caulk???

Old 07-19-12, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Lemme guess Larry....PVC BM?

Old 07-19-12, 04:18 PM
Vic, believe it or not, the lumber yard I went to didn't carry it, or you can bet your bippy it would have been PVC.
Brant, all the windows in the house are as you see in the first pic. No brick mold, just the molding on the window. The brick veneer pushed out that much. That caulk line on the brick used to be sitting inside that puky window frame ! Had to caulk. Painter couldn't get by until next week, and I told him he would have to deal with my caulk. He yelled something, but I hung up before he finished.

Here's the way it was originally:

Attachment 2003

Old 07-19-12, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
He probably yelled: "DON'T USE SILICONE!!!"

I think I heard him all the way up here. LOL

Was that built before brick ties were invented? Wowie!

Old 07-19-12, 09:12 PM
Wow that looks like that was a hard job. Was this because of wind damage Larry or perhaps someone banging a car into the foundation? A couple of weeks ago we saw damage to a foundation due to trees hitting the house. One house of an older couple,in Virginia, I think in their eighties had to leave their house and I think it will have to be torn down. They luckily were able to recover things and move out before their house will be torn down, a shame though.

Old 07-20-12, 03:30 AM
This was, as far as I can tell, poor initial construction. The chimney was not properly "footed" and it was massive. All the brick on that side of the house were tied to the chimney. When the chimney decided to pull away from the house, it took everything within 20 feet with it. They were able to "save" the chimney by mechanical jacking, but saving isn't correcting. They could not put it back in the same position as it was originally, leaving all the gaps. It even cracked and pulled away bricks on one adjacent 90 degree wall. The chimney wall incidentally is the interior wall of the house in one room, so I found out.

Old 07-20-12, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Painter couldn't get by until next week, and I told him he would have to deal with my caulk. He yelled something, but I hung up before he finished.
Although the caulk job looks ok, I understand his concern. I've had many a carpenter tell me they had a buggered up joint but they 'helped' me out by apply caulking or a coat of filler. 90% of the time what they did made more work for me than if they had left it alone.

I know that extension ladder isn't resting on the screen, right?

Old 07-20-12, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Thought those big gaps were what expando foam was for....

Old 07-20-12, 05:35 PM
Marksr, no the ladder has cow horns, so it spans the window opening. Great stabilizing addition, along with the push button leg extensions. I only caulked because of the pending rain before the painter could get back. Otherwise it would have stayed butt nekkid. I try not to booger it up too bad.
Now on to the 12' double sliding glass door whose extruded threshold has sunk on both sides about 1 1/2", due to the brick veneer separating and leaving nothing between it and the rim joist. There are challenges, then there are impossibilities......mine fall somewhere in the middle.

Old 07-20-12, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Yowza... what are you going to do with that one? Totally uninstall the door, I assume? If you have a metal fabricator in the area, I've had them make me thresholds before... just a long piece of 1/8" stainless or aluminum with a slight downturn or 90 on the front, depending. Have to do that sometimes when there's a gap in front of a door or ugly concrete or similar.

Old 07-21-12, 12:15 AM
Not a bad idea Xsleeper either that or maybe have to pad out the door a bit. With a foundation so badly messed up you sometimes have to make some compromises especially if a persons budget is tight. It looks great though so far Larry if I ever decide to move to Georgia and need work I will look you up. I know you said this was because of poor workmanship with the chimney but I bet that occasionally with the chimney it is weather related because of poor maintenance of the structure. Had a bad chimney at our rental house luckily our gc found the problem while doing a patch job on the roof after taking away the roof fan that was going to be replaced with a gable fan in the attic. It could have cost us much more for the repair at the time.

Old 07-21-12, 04:16 AM
Yeah, Brant, I will have to remove the 4 doors and frame. The extrusion is bent in a cup rather than as you would normally expect it to bend. That is why I think it is a large gap between the rim and the veneer. The veneer is holding part of it up and the rim the other part. Once I remove it, my initial thoughts are to install PT lumber set on edge and screwed to the rim , filling the space, BUT, I will entertain your idea as well on the metal to reinforce the threshold. I think I can bring the extrusion back to shape by removing the cupping.
Hedge, In an earlier post XSleeper suggested no strap ties on the bricks. Well, I had my guys look back in that window gap, and with a good light they did not see any. There may have been some beyond their sight, but surely with a chimney this large more would have been evident. Yep, finding it early is the key. This one went too long.

Old 07-26-12, 03:58 PM
Update: Wasn't separation of the brick, but a rotted floor. Whew!! Simple fix, with the exception of removing all the doors. So much pressure on the frame we could not remove the doors only. Had to remove the entire frame with 4 doors and 2 screens. Once out, we could extract doors one at a time. Fixed the booger, repointed the soldier course of brick (adding a sliver to keep down large joint) and put it all back together. Satisfying day.

Attachment 2224Attachment 2225

Search this Thread