Anyone have some rain they can spare?

Old 07-23-12, 06:58 AM
Anyone have some rain they can spare?

We haven't had any real rain in a month and change.
The grass in the back yard is pretty brown and crunchy these days. The front is reasonably green as I water it nightly (I know, shouldn't be watering the grass with my main well).

Was out moving the sprinkler last night when my neighbor walked by. He gave me crap for watering my grass as the water levels are really low right now. He's watching his water usage as his well water level has dropped below his pump a couple times in the last week or so.

Funny, I never had any issues with my wells yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-12, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
I'll try to send some; we're in the once-a-week mowing mode right now. Been a pretty wet summer.

Old 07-23-12, 08:48 AM
I would gladly take some.

Old 07-23-12, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
There's always enough rain overall, but it's never balanced - one area's in a drought, another is flooded....

Also, your lawn would be better off if you watered in the morning - wet grass at night makes a better environment for fungal growth.

Old 07-23-12, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We were in drought conditions until a few weeks ago. In fact several communities cancelled their fireworks displays for the 4th. In 3 days time we went front a 5-6" deficit to a .5" surplus for the yearly rain total...... and it's rained most everyday since. Strange how whenever one area is getting too much rain another isn't getting enough.

Old 07-23-12, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Ok....I want all you folks getting rain in the East and South to go set up some fans and point them towards me. Turn them on high...I can't wait forever.

Old 07-23-12, 09:40 AM
mitch17,
I would prefer to water my grass in the morning, but I'm out of bed at 4:50AM, and pulling out of the driveway (kids and wife loaded in the car) by 5:30AM.
I don't have a water timer and as it stands right now, I need to physically move the sprinkler from one side of the front to the other (and I still don't get the whole front yard).

We went from the grass needing to be cut every week to I haven't touched it in more then a month.

Old 07-23-12, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Personally, I have to move each of two sprinklers five times to cover the whole yard, I usually lose the battle every July and have a brown lawn into late August every year. One of these days I'm going to bite the bullet and look into an irrigation system.

Old 07-23-12, 10:51 AM
1/2" PEX hose (100ft) was half price at the local hardware store. Should have picked up 200 more foot of it and ran a line to the back of the yard for sprinklers.

Think I lost the battle with the back until we get some good rain again. The front is still a battle ground though.

Old 07-23-12, 02:49 PM
I feel sorry for you guys who are having trouble getting enough rain. Over in the Washington D.C. metro area we have had more than our share of rain lately. We have been through it too though with the water restrictions and had thoughts of buying rain barrels at one time. It certainly is a green way to go and you don't have to worry about having enough water as long as you don't over do it. In the deep south where it gets really hot and dry though a rain water collection tank is really necessary.

Old 07-23-12, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On my former cattle farm, I had three of the 300 gallon caged tanks in tandem to collect water, either from rain or pump it up from the river. Used it to gravity feed plants and gardens.

Old 07-23-12, 04:08 PM
I don't think it has gone more than a week without rain for the last three years in my area. This year we've had maybe four consecutive days without rain. Worse, the temperatures have been mild so everything is growing like mad.

Old 07-25-12, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't get a break Spent the last 2 days putting my driveway and the neighbors back together. Woke up at 3:30 AM to a hard thunderstorm. 90% of what I did to my driveway is undone, the neighbor's is probably the same.

They said on the 10PM news last night that we've had 10+ inches so far this month [new record] and we're only 1" away from having record rainfall for any month..... and that was before the steady, at times hard rain we've had for the last 4 hrs.

Old 07-25-12, 05:31 AM
Hopefully that rain will let up marksr and travel over to those of us that need it.

A couple years ago I had to deal with my driveway washing into the back yard. We would get nailed with these heavy rains, and all the granular A would wash it the yard.

I ended up mixing a couple bags of cheap fence post concrete in with the fresh batch of gravel that I spread over the driveway and packed in. Add some water and less driveway washed away.

If I remember correctly, I used about 8 to 10 bags of that cheap concrete for about a ton of gravel. It won't make a concrete driveway, but will keep the bulk of the gravel from washing away.

You do need a weekend or so to spread the gravel.

Old 07-25-12, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That sounds similar to crusher run or chat - they both have rock dust in them that helps 'glue' the gravel together..... but it takes close to 50 tons of gravel to do my driveway right [1/4+ mile long] The neighbor's driveway is shorter but steeper than mine. My tractor is only 2 wheel drive and if the gravel/slate is wet [extra weight in the front bucket] I have a hard time getting traction going up hill.

Old 07-25-12, 05:44 AM
Not knowing your landscape, you might have to look at digging some ditches or something.

In my case, I had not much option as the water would come down the alley (nice steep hill which levelled off at the neighbor's) and across my driveway. I was only dealing with a 35ft x 15ft area, so not nearly as big. Was also done with a shovel, so that makes up the difference.

Old 07-25-12, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I live on top of a big hill/little mountain. I have my driveway ditched [angled] to the inside and that helps a lot with normal rain..... it's when we get the gully washers that all the fun begins

The only thing I use a shovel for on my road is to clean out the 2 drain tiles when they get plugged.

Old 07-25-12, 02:20 PM
Mine is sort of like Marksr's in that it is probably 1/2 mile long, 12' wide or so and changes in elevation by 500' from its beginning. I have cut outs for the normal rain to run into the rain "creek", but the ones we have had lately, I hate getting out in the mornings, knowing I gotta scrape it back up the mountain. Just had $855 worth of "base" put on it all. I feel the same way.....shovels are for chain gangs. I use them sparingly.

Old 07-26-12, 05:13 AM
My driveway is only ~150ft long (~20ft wide). Shovel works fine for me. Not enough property and cash in the bank to get a tractor.

Old 07-26-12, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My driveway is somewhere between 1/4 and 3/10 of a mile long with 7 turns [2 switch backs]
Not enough me to not have a tractor with a front bucket

... and we have already surpassed the wettest month on record 12+" with more rain forecasted

Old 07-26-12, 06:23 AM
Ya, my driveway is straight and short enough to not need one. I will however be renting one soon when I get a load of gravel (red stone granular A) in the next month or so. I have a few low spots starting to develop which is causing issues with puddles and will be a problem come winter.

Back on topic.... It's been raining steady for two days now. Grass is almost back to as green as it was before this all started.

This was my back yard 4 weeks ago. This was never watered except for rain fall.
Name:  IMG-20120707-00748.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  48.4 KB

btw, lines in the grass where not straight as it was really hot out, and I was in a hurry. Takes 2.5 tanks of gas in the push mower to do my grass.

Old 07-26-12, 03:11 PM
My lines do that, too. You just can't let go of a ZTR to reach for refreshment. Woggles all over the place
4 1/2 acres to cut, rest is in woods. Takes about a quarter tank of diesel to do it, or about 2 gallons.

Old 07-26-12, 03:24 PM
Mark

We used to have a deer camp with a driveway that sounds similar to yours. Packed gravel, vry long and very steep. It would erode every year and wash out whenever we got a real gullywasher.

We ended up putting in a ditch and culverts in the worst spots but we also put in angled speed bumps (thery weren't real speed bump because you couldn't get over 10-15 mph) that diverted the water running down the road. Instead any water running on hte road surface would hit the speed bump and be fed into the ditch. We were fortunate that the drive was on a sidehill. You may not have the same conditions.

Old 07-26-12, 05:34 PM
Larry, that was with a push mower.
I did think about adding a cup holder to it. Much easier then trying to push the mower with one hand.

Old 07-26-12, 06:01 PM
Reply to original poster

If you are tired of moving the sprinkler device, consider just running a series of hoses and sprinklers linked together like an above-ground sprinkler system. Just turn on the water, and the hoses will make all the lawn-watering devices turn on at once. Just make sure you dont' overextend or you may not have enough water pressure. Also, drain the water to relieve pressure after each watering so you wont' blow up your hose.

Old 07-27-12, 04:26 AM
I seldom have to water my lawn but that's the system I use. I have found that 3 sprinklers is about my limit any more than that and they don't give full coverage.

Old 07-27-12, 04:50 AM
I would have to do a bit of testing to see what I could run. The problem being is I am still on 1/2" piping, so although I'm between 40/60PSI of pressure, the volume isn't there.

Search this Thread