A bit of an Entertainment project

Old 07-24-12, 06:20 AM
A bit of an Entertainment project

Because of all the 'Must Do' work around the house, and lack of budget to finish the basement for some time, I figured I would have at least some fun this winter with my unfinished basement (~1358sqft).

So, building an indoor RC race track.

It won't be anything fancy. Looking for a simple flat(ish) track to race a couple 1/24th scale cars around. Once I start finishing the basement, the track may or may not still be around.

The first major issue (besides getting rid of all the boxes down there) is to figure out what to use for a race surface. The concrete floor is currently painted with a glossy paint. When we first moved in, I use to drift my 1/18th scale F1 car around the support collumns.

I'm thinking of simply masking tape off the track, then paint in the surface with something with a bit of a texture.
Any suggestions on what I could paint the trace surface with?

Not looking to spend much more then a day taping and painting.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-12, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could add sand texture to the paint but sooner or later the tires would likely wear off the texture. One of those texture paints might work ok. Does the concrete currently have any paint on it?

Back in the early 60's I had a slot car track in the basement, spent hours playing with it

Old 07-24-12, 09:59 AM
Ya, the concrete floor is currently painted with a glossy paint.

I was thinking of maybe that concrete sealant you can get for patios, but I don't know how well or long it would stick.

I'm not too concerned if it doen't last forever. If I can get a year or so out of it, it was time and money well spent.
I can see many Saturday mornings, my 3yrs old and I racing down there while mom and our youngest sleep. We logged hours already messing around with the RCs in the basement when we first moved in. Just going to make a proper track to follow now.

Old 07-24-12, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
I would try mixing sand in paint as the least expensive. There are also paints that already have grit used for painting walkways and steps. If you want to get crazy you could have multiple surfaces on your track. A couple slick turns, some with textured paint and get some non-slip tape for a super grip hairpin turn.

Old 07-24-12, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
OK, now I'm envisioning some banking in some of these turns as well - how should Mike accomplish that?

Old 07-24-12, 10:30 AM
Keeping it simple folks. I've already had to talk myself down from a wall ramp (corner banked to almost 90' vertical).

The idea is that once I get around to finishin the basement, I can simply put my subfloor or flooring directly on top and go. In the mean time (next year or three), it'll be a play ground.
If I tape off a track and paint the surface with paint that will offer traction, the second you step out of it, it'll be like hitting the grass at a normal track, your spinning.

Other then the track surface, figuring out the turn radius and lane widths is my next issue. My 1/18th scale F1 is a bit too big to have much of a fun track.

Old 07-24-12, 10:34 AM
To answer your question mitch17,
plywood, 1x4s, skill saw and a jigsaw.

The last idea I back burned was similar to the Top Gear UK test track, with a plexiglass bridge in the middle. Would probably double as a bit of a jump.

Old 07-24-12, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be a good idea to figure out what type of paint is currently on the floor - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

If it turns out to be an oil base enamel, latex paint won't adhere well without a primer but you might can cheat by wiping the 'track' down with liquid deglosser prior to apply the textured paint. That will give the paint a fighting chance to stick to the oil enamel.