Bloomberg surprised me today

Old 07-27-12, 03:58 PM
Bloomberg surprised me today

OK, the fat pill thread has run it's course but just in time comes a public comment by Mayor Bloomberg regarding the Chik Fil A dust up.

If you aren't aware Dan Cathy, the CEO of Chik Fil A made a comment that his company is a Christian company that backs traditional marriage. That started a firestorm in the media as politicians started jumping on the "Chik Fil A is anti gay bandwagon" calling for boycots and promising to restrict CFA growth in their districts.

Bloomberg on the other hand came down on my side . His position is that Cathy's comments are protected free speech and the government has no business getting involved. What a concept! Isn't there something in the constitution about that?

Should government be able to impact the business of a person excercising their right to free speech. Should a business be damaged because of the religous views of the owner?

Incidentally, Wednesday is now "Chik Fil A appreciation day" and though I've never been in a Chik Fil A before I'll give it a try Wednesday. Mmmm, greasy fried chicken.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-12, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well...Wayne...it's pretty obvious you've never been to a CFA. They don't really do greasy fried chicken. They do breast sandwiches...and not greasy stuff. A little high in sodium....but not real fatty. I've never had a great taste for them but my wife loved them when we were in VA.

I just thought they were pretty pricy. Their waffle fries are darn good though.

Old 07-27-12, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Chick-Fil-a started in a town next to my hometown, and it was called Dwarf House. It even had a little door for kids to go through, and it has a semi-bavarian styling. Truett Cathey, the founder, has instilled strong Christian principles in his business. Closed on Sunday for instance. The GA DOT even threatened to take the company name off interstate Food/Gas/Lodging signs because they weren't opened on Sunday. Guess who lost that one.
Mr. Cathey is very philanthropic. He takes good care of his employees as well. When I worked at ATL, his managers would be flown on a chartered flight to who know where, and when they returned, sequestered on what we called the remote pad, where they would deplane was a brand new Lincoln Towncar for them to drive. Must have been 30 of them
Even the ACLU has jumped on the bandwagon, and as much as they foster other lifestyles, they are saying the towns just can't up and stop the business from opening stores because Dan stated an ideal. Think of the companies that could be banned from opening in your neighborhood because they didn't support the KKK or other radical groups. I think the leaders who are up in arms are starting to back down.....Even Rahm.

Old 07-30-12, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
This is one of those situations where the proper course of action is democratic, not republican - and I'm not talking political parties here: we live in a republic, not a democracy because we elect representatives to the government to vote on issues for us. However, in a situation like this, the proper action for those elected officials is to do nothing and turn the decision over whether the situation should be allowed to the individuals - if those in the town disagree, they will avoid the facility and it will close. If they agree, they patronize it and it succeeds.

Old 07-30-12, 05:49 PM
Old 07-31-12, 12:52 AM
Bloomberg is a nutcase.

*Random text to meet the 25 character limit*

Old 07-31-12, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Starting to understand why there are so many New York expatriates living down here.

Old 07-31-12, 06:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Never heard of anyone retiring and moving NORTH, have you???

Old 07-31-12, 10:54 AM
Flirty - Actually he's not a nutcase and that's what makes it so problematic. He's a smart guy and a really shrewd businessman. He's just one of those well intentioned people that think it's their duty to take care of the rest of us because we're incapable of taking care of ourselves.

He led the charge in NYC against smoking, passing an ordinance banning smoking in NYC public parks and beaches, he pushed for the saturated trans fats ban in restaurants and now along with the Slurpee war apparently he feels the need to compell new mothers to breast feed.

Old 07-31-12, 04:25 PM
Not that my opinion matters because I don't live in NYC, but I don't hate the guy. He is out of touch. It seems like he has run out of things to do elsewhere in the city. Just because he is smart in one line of business doesn't mean he would be smart in another line. You have to allow people to have freedom to run their lives. Banning things isn't going to convince people to change their ways. This is an educational issue and that is how the city should be approaching these subjects.