I ain't paying no delivery fee

Old 08-10-12, 02:10 PM
I ain't paying no delivery fee

I saw this on Snopes. According to the accompanying text the car also had 10 bags of concrete in the trunk. Estimated load was around 3000#

Name:  lumber.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  36.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-12, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I saw that a few weeks ago. I guess their brain was just a spacer for their ears

Old 08-10-12, 02:14 PM
Did snopes say this was real? I have a hard time believing that it is.

Old 08-10-12, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
That's a Jetta, right?

My 2012 Ford Fusion is about the same size and has a cargo and passenger load limit of just over 2000 pounds IIRC.

I can't imagine the thought process of someone who would think this is ok.

Old 08-10-12, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
I don't know where this was possibly purchased ...but no way in heck would any supply store help them do that. I remember our Manager actually going out to someone trying to do similar and offering them a discount on the delivery if they would not try.

Wow...looked at the Snopes article.....seems it's true...snopes.com: Lumber Car

Old 08-10-12, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Droo, IIRC this was at a HD, and the associates set all the stuff beside the car, and refused to help them load it. They did provide the twine, however I drive a 3500 Ram dually, and would not load this on my truck!!
I stand corrected....the store DID help load it with a waiver.

Old 08-10-12, 04:16 PM
I sometimes question people's common sense. I can write a whole page of just plain stupid stuff I see people do, and think nothing of it.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"

Old 08-10-12, 05:19 PM
It's really hard to refute the evidence on snopes. But I can't imagine being able to stack all those 2x4's and sheets of plywood at that angle so neatly. Then tying it off with string. They obviously drove away from the HD like that. And just a couple pieces of string didn't allow it slide off? Unless I'm not understanding how things go to how they are. Hmm. Now that I have given it some thought. I guess they stacked it all on the roof. Drove a bit a bit and the roof collapsed and put the wood where it is in the photo.

Old 08-10-12, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
That's what I figured Droo....and that stranded poly stuff is pretty darn strong!

Old 08-11-12, 07:28 PM
If that's a VW Jetta, they're FWD, so I'm surprised that car had any traction to move at all. Looks like it WAS a fairly decent car before this, but I bet it's scratched and dented to heck now, not to mention broken suspension components. The damage and loss of trade-in value of their car far exceeds the few bucks they saved by foregoing delivery.

Old 08-12-12, 07:35 PM
This reminds me of the time our cousin who was living in our rental house at the time asked my father if he could get some help in bringing a mattress home from the store. Well my father always wanted to be helpful when he could so he said sure no problem. I think my father thought it will just be a small mattress right wrong I think it was queen size. My father at the time too only had a Cavalier sedan so when he got to the store with my cousin he said you have got to be kidding and asked why he didn't get it delivered. Well my cousin at the time I think said that he could barely afford the mattress as it was so my father felt sorry for him. So then he asked what did you bring in the bag as he had brought something to keep it on the roof and my cousin brought out a thick rope. To make a long story short they finally did get home with the mattress slipping and sliding and my father saying he would never do that again. Luckily the mattress store wasn't too far away and luckily the police didn't stop them and they didn't get into an accident. I guess the powers that be were looking after them on that day.

Old 08-13-12, 06:24 AM
I hate to say it, but it has to be fake.
The back windows are rolled up, but the roof line looks crushed.
The rope is also way too slack for hold anything at that angle.

Old 08-13-12, 09:06 AM
Mike,

Did you read the Snopes article? LINK There seems to be quite a bit of evidence supporting it as true.

Someone earlier in the thread suggested that the load was centered on the roof when they started out but it appears to have slipped to the rear of the car.

Old 08-13-12, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would think it would be possible to bend the roof down and not bend the doors enough to break the glass. Sometime back I saw a pic on the net that showed a car with a riding lawnmower in the trunk. Shortly after that I saw [in person] a car in Lowes parking lot that had a riding mower in the trunk - I don't know if that person saw it on the internet and said 'hey, I can transport mine that way' or it was just 2 idiots on the same wave length

Old 08-13-12, 09:38 AM
Looking at the pictures, I have a real hard time believing it.
There are a few things that can help it be true. It's a jetta which is a framed car, and there are 2x4s under the plywood which would put all the force in the middle of the roof, and not the sides.

That being said, Neither rear door looks out of align, and from the one grainy pic, it looks like the rear window is still in tack (which the pressure of the 2x4 would have killed).

A bit too left field for me to believe it was true. If only this pic was clear enough....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2593[/ATTACH]

Attached Images