Anyone Else Do This When They Were My Age?

Old 08-25-12, 10:14 AM
Anyone Else Do This When They Were My Age?

So, last night I went out to my parents' land with 12 friends and had a bonfire. So, my one friend and I brought those 1000W halogen tripod lights, and another friend brought his DJ system. We laid approximately 500 feet of power cable, and burned through a truckload of wood.

Anyone else do stuff like this when they were my age???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-12, 11:30 AM
When I was your age (what is your age?) there were no halogen lights and there were no DJ systems. We did have fire back then.

Old 08-25-12, 12:54 PM
When I was your age (what is your age?) there were no halogen lights and there were no DJ systems. We did have fire back then.
e
I'm 16. Didn't you at least have vacuum tubes and records???

Old 08-25-12, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, but we didn't have a means of running electricity 10 miles back into the woods. No generators, except for 300 watt signaling generators from the Army.
Our light was from kerosene lanterns, and music was box guitars and harmonicas.

Old 08-25-12, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kids!!! They don't realize the size of portable vacuum tube radios or the weight when loaded with A and B batteries. Short life and no recharge. I had a classy Admiral with the flip up dial. My folks portable was a real dinosauer in comparison.

Old 08-25-12, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess the closest we came was plugging in an 8 track tape in whoever's car had the baddest stereo. Car headlights could be used for illumination but if there's a bonfire - what's the need

Old 08-25-12, 02:29 PM
I guess kids are different these days. When we had a bonfire bright lights were the last thing we wanted.

Mark, you must be a youngster. I was an adult when I got my first 8 track. I remember when cars had nothing but an AM radio.

Manual windows
Dimmer switches
No AC
manual steering
manual brakes
manual transmission
Anything else?

A bit off topic but I read somewhere the other day that only 20% of people under age 30 know how to drive a standard transmission car.

Old 08-25-12, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
I remember when cars had nothing but an AM radio.
And some of the high tech drive-ins broadcast the movie sound over AM instead of wired speakers.

Old 08-25-12, 05:03 PM
I guess kids are different these days. When we had a bonfire bright lights were the last thing we wanted.
I bet they all sat around the bonfire in the bright light not saying a word to each other because they were all too busy texting everyone who wasn't at the bonfire.

Old 08-25-12, 06:13 PM
I bet they all sat around the bonfire in the bright light not saying a word to each other because they were all too busy texting everyone who wasn't at the bonfire.
The only one who did that was Julie. The way we positioned the lights, they cast shadows and by the time the light actually reached us it created awesome shadows. (although we could be heard and our lighted smoke could be seen for a half mile I was told) We were either sitting on our tailgates talking to each other or singing and dancing.

Old 08-26-12, 04:19 AM
Sounds like a blast, man. At least you are having harmless fun in your youth. Too many don't get the opportunity to enjoy life before it hits them in the face. Enjoy my friend!!

Old 08-26-12, 06:11 PM
Cool

Sounds like a blast, man. At least you are having harmless fun in your youth. Too many don't get the opportunity to enjoy life before it hits them in the face. Enjoy my friend!!
It definitely was, and I'm hoping to do this again soon. Maybe I'll post a few pictures (without my friends) to show the setup and stuff.

Also, a few things you all said opened up my eyes a little bit and made me think of the things I take for granted.

I always thought that halogen lights existed for very many years, and the old speaker amplifiers were using vacuum tubes instead of transistors.

Yeah, but we didn't have a means of running electricity 10 miles back into the woods. No generators, except for 300 watt signaling generators from the Army.
Our light was from kerosene lanterns, and music was box guitars and harmonicas.
I didn't even know generators that small existed. Heck, I thought there were portable generators since at least the 1930's. I never even thought of what it would be like not to be able to turn a key and have power.
Kids!!! They don't realize the size of portable vacuum tube radios or the weight when loaded with A and B batteries. Short life and no recharge. I had a classy Admiral with the flip up dial. My folks portable was a real dinosauer in comparison.
I did a Google search after reading this and learned a lot!
And some of the high tech drive-ins broadcast the movie sound over AM instead of wired speakers.
Hard to believe something I did for fun when I was 7 was considered high tech back then.

Old 08-26-12, 07:32 PM
Yeah, you're two generations back for most of us older guys, so a lot of technology has come forth in the years. I've still got my signal generator...two cycle, 300 watts, pick it up with one hand, but built like a brick. We still had fun. Gas was 25 cents a gallon and no one had heard of MPG...no one cared.
The cars we built back then (when we were 16) were bad. Totally. 427 cu in. 400 HP. Try putting that in your mom's Lexus I chuckle when I hear those rice burners with the 5" tailpipes. They still sputter compared to tuned headers coming off a 427 to dumps right behind the front door. Tape a $5 bill to the dashboard and have the passenger try to get it when accelerating.....impossible.

Old 08-26-12, 07:40 PM
I remember those old tube radios fondly my mom and I used to go to flea markets and I would buy some broken down old tube radios for a few dollars and then buy a tube for just a dollar or two and then resell them fixed. Those days sure are gone it used to be so easy to figure out what tube had went bad now if something goes bad most people just throw it in the trash or send it to a recyclers if they can find one and then just buy a new radio.
I also remember back when there was only black and white tv and not a thing about HD tvs. Televisions were a great deal heavier too and you usually called a tv shop up and they would send someone to fix the tv. It cost a great deal less then too and while this is a bit off the topic it was also when we had the milkman still delivered too boy those sure were the days. I hope this topic stays for a while kind of fun to talk about the good old days

Old 08-27-12, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I remember the milkman and the eggman. We also had a potato chip guy come by, the metal container made a great storage place for my lincoln logs

I've always like the low or unresticted sound of the all american V8. Those little 4 bangers with the loud exhaust just sound stupid IMO. Back when the gas wars were fought on the street corners instead of the middle east, I remember my daddy buying gas for 10 cents a gallon. The lowest I ever paid was 19 cents for ethyl

Old 08-27-12, 08:17 AM
The closest I had done to what the OP described was a beach party in the late 90's.
Was at a resort my buddy's brother owned. Used 2 turntables and a old mixer.

Beyond that, most of our bonfire parties (even today) consists of guitars and flashlights.

Old 08-27-12, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
When I was a kid we brought kegs up to the old German bund camp on federal hill. The only place the cops would not bother us.

Many good times.

We would load our trucks up with old pallets, wood, etc and 4 wheel up there. Then go back down and pick up a load of kids in the back of the pick up. Basically the whole town used to party there. It was a small town so we only had a total of 600 in the high school.

I guess I am a flat-lander now that I moved south on the shore plains.

Save Federal Hill for the Enjoyment of the Public!

It used to take 40 minutes to get up there.

video clips :: Federal Hill wheeling video by Lovey819 - Photobucket

Old 09-09-12, 06:46 PM
A couple friends and I just strung up some THWN and temp-its today on the trees. Now we have nothing to set up other than the PA system and a projector.