I knew better....

Old 08-30-12, 08:36 AM
I knew better....

Another foot and mouth conversation with the wife on the drive in to town. Well not really, but I knew to keep my mouth shut. A 45 minute drive in and out of town each day, sometimes a conversation is nice.

Anyway... The local radio station personality mentioned some statistic (no idea where they got it, any background info, or if it was even valid) that most employers will discriminate against hiring women with children as these women would take more time off for their kids then men (with or without children) and women without.

My wife in typical fashion goes on about how they can't do that.

I turned around and said...
"From an employer's perspective, with all other things considered equal, I'd hire a man or older established woman over a women younger then mid 30's any day." At this point, we jumped from a quiet car to a full out debate.

Once she calmed down enough, I explained that companies spend loads of time and money training and establishing a new employee. The chances of losing a woman to maternity leave (and in a lot of cases, they never come back) is fairly high. In the end, all that effort is wasted and has to be done again with their replacement.

Well... Shouldn't have said a thing from the beginning, lesson learned.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-12, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Is it right? No. But many things in life are not.

I knew a guy that owned a duplex, and he lived in one side. When renting, he said he liked to get older-ish type women because they tended to stay put longer, were neater, and didn't damage anything. Is that wrong? Yes. But again, life is not fair.

Old 08-30-12, 06:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd hire a man or older established woman
You didn't...! You may have been right, but sheesh, you could have commented on a passer- by lady in a short skirt or something less volatile. A man is in charge of his own destiny.

Old 08-31-12, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
lady in a short skirt or something less volatile.
About 40 yrs or so ago I went somewhere with my boss and his wife and saw a cute girl in a mini skirt walking down the sidewalk. Without thinking, I said 'hey boss, see that mini skirt on the sidewalk?' Without thinking, he looked - I never saw a pocket book swing so fast with so much accuracy...... and he was driving while trying to fend off the repeated hits

Old 08-31-12, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
About 40 yrs or so ago...
No comment....

chandler,
Short skirts are definately a welcome sight in the office (specially in the industry I work in).
I was however looking at it from a buisness perspective. I can't tell you how many brilliant Engineers and designers we've lost to Maternity leave and of those, how many never came back to the work force.

Old 08-31-12, 02:07 PM
Oh, I agree. You are right from a business standpoint, but your tact skills in a closed up car suck. It's over, you're not sleeping on the couch, you're cool.

Old 08-31-12, 03:07 PM
Mike,

I'm gonna' say something here that will garner me a whole lot of flak, but here goes - I worked for 20 years in the engineering field after after I retired from the Navy. I cannot remember one "brilliant" female engineer and darn few competent ones. I am not saying that there aren't any, but I worked with a dozen or more female engineers and not a single one impressed me.

The engineering work we were doing was in-service, real life stuff not conceptual or design. Maybe that was the difference.

Here's a "no sh*t" true story. A system on a navy ship was having a problem. We came up with a solution, tested it (extensively) and then went to the program manager (a senior female engineer) for funding to field the improvement. She turned it down because her "women's intuition" told her it would not work. Fortunately, she was dumb enough to make that comment at a conference attended by guys that knew better.

Last edited by Wayne Mitchell; 08-31-12 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Wayne...I know you know the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale, right? lol.

Old 08-31-12, 04:16 PM
I think bells are ringing at Becky's house right about now. I'm takin' cover.

Old 08-31-12, 04:34 PM
Vic - That's why it started with a "no sh*t"! I probably could have added the "this is", in any case the story is true.

If you enjoy sea stories here's a link to a few. The very first one is about MOH recipient Dick O'Kane. I had the honor of spending most of an afternoon with, then retired, Admiral O'Kane and I can "no sh*t" attest that he was a fine, gracious gentleman and one of the ballsiest submarine skippers of WW2. His exploits in Wahoo are legendary in the submarine community.

Old 08-31-12, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
I've read a lot about O'Kane...yeah...he was one of the good ones.

Search this Thread