I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but . . .

Old 08-30-12, 02:09 PM
I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but . . .

How friggen dumb can you be?

A guy smells gas in his house and calls his buddy to come over to help fix a propane leak. His buddy comes over with his 9 year old kid. BOOM!!!! The house is gone, nearly vaporized, with only the chimney remaining. Dad is dead, kid and homeowner in the hospital in critical condition.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-12, 02:16 PM
Darwin Awards nominee here? No, wait, he already reproduced...

Old 08-30-12, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Somewhere along the line common sense has become a rarity

Old 08-30-12, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Wonder if the buddy brought his propane touch so he could solder the leak?

Old 08-30-12, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm, sad. But we used to use a lighter to find the leaks when we ran gas pipe doing rough in work.

I did not think there was any danger there. Hey I was a kid....LOL

I wonder what the exact circumstances were in this tragedy?

Old 08-30-12, 06:52 PM
Was that doing propane gas work or natural gas work? Propane, being heavier than air, will collect in poorly ventilated low spots such as basements. Natural gas is slightly lighter than air and has a much greater tendency to disburse if there is easy ventilation.

Not knowing anything more than what was posted it could have been something as simple as one of the people turning on a light switch in the area that had just the right mixture of propane and air to make an explosive mixture. Very few people know that the tiny spark of a light switch can set off the explosive mixture. While the safest thing is to always shut off the gas from outside the area and then call the professionals (fire department and gas supplier) from a telephone well away from the hazard area, I wouldn't be too quick in blaming the poor people in this story.

Old 08-31-12, 08:46 AM
I think a buddy would be the last person I would call.

Unless he was a licensed gas installer/repair person.

Old 08-31-12, 08:58 AM
The investigation isbut the latest report says that it was a propane leak at the water heater. The homeowner smelled a strong gas owner, sent his two kids to a neighbor (smart) and then called his buddy to help him fix the leak (dumb). His friend brought along his 9 year old kid (dumb). The only smart thing in the whole disaster was that the homeowner got his own kids out of the house. My guess is that they probably fixed the leak but didn't ventilate the basement before lighting the pilot or flipping a light switch.

The homeowner had actually just got off the phone with his neighbor telling him to send the kids back home. The explosion happened immediately after the phone call or those kids would also have been hurt or killed.

Old 08-31-12, 04:04 PM
If I sent my kids to the neighbor's for safety, I sure wouldn't let my buddy bring his kid into the house.

I would think if there was enough propane in the house to blow it sky high, the odor would be very strong. How do you not ventilate the house before lighting anything?

Old 08-31-12, 04:17 PM
Droop - I would have agreed with you about the smell but apparently the mercaptan chemical added to propane can lose it's odor over time. In this case though, apparently the smell was pretty strong. They interviewed a neighbor on the news tonight. He said they could hear the kid screaming for help (I think he was badly burned) and they couldn't do anything to get to him because the debris he was under was to heavy for them to move.

I vistited a few "propane expert" sites and they all say the same thing. If you smell a strong odor of propane -leave the house immediately. That seems simple enough to me.

MIke - They also say, NEVER, EVER use a lighted flame to check for a leak. Glad you're still with us.

Search this Thread