Divining pipes and wires

Old 09-03-12, 12:10 PM
Divining pipes and wires

You could easily check for a buried line, pipe, concrete drain tile, etc. using a 16" piece of electrical ground cable (wire) or even twisted strands (6) of wires from Romex. Bend a right-angle handle about 4" long, letting the rest (12") point toward the dirt. Set the short end in your cupped hand or balanced on a bent index finger (about an inch from bend). It will point (like a magnet while slowly passing-over it) to man-made objects 1-12 feet down, found many dry concrete drain tiles (sewer lines) that deep before digging. Works great for locating water sprinkler lines while landscaping. Found re-bar in slabs for demo bidding before electronic testers were invented for public. Used it in houses to locate water supply runs under the floor, buried, going to the street. Balanced on finger, located plumbing DWV lines and older concrete ones hidden in plaster walls without surgery, just standing in front of wall. City workers used them for locating sewer lines, etc. when they forgot the meter (and before they existed). Always check with locators (local companies) before digging in yards...

Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-12, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gary, I thought that was crud until I tried it. Now I am convinced it works. I had to do it on a job last week to trace a supply line from the meter to a house. It worked flawlessly. Light resting on the hand and a slight tilt forward and it will center over the water lines every time. Thanks for sharing that, as I know if I had done it I would have been laughed off the forum.

Old 09-04-12, 07:58 AM
Sorry guys, but somebody has got to 'splain the science behind this one. At face value it ranks right up there with dowsing. If it ever stops raining I'm going to give it a shot.

Incidentally, My grandfather was a true believer in dowsing. He swore he could find water every time - and he was right! The fact that he lived on an island in the middle of a huge lake may have had something to do with it.

On edit - I just Googled around and watched a YouTube video. I am not a believer.

Old 09-04-12, 12:47 PM
Divining pipes and wires

A thread in another forum mentioned this method of dowsing to locate buried pipes, sewer lines etc. I found this video on YouTube and I think this guy is dangerous. The video id's him as "ChatannogaRemodeler" - not for me he ain't. I can picture some idiot with a clothes hanger looking for his buried utilities before digging up his yard. I'm thinking of asking Youtube to remove it.

I tried it following the instruction in the video, and again after stroking the coat hangers with a magnet as recomended on another site, and again using a twisted copper ground wire as recommended in a post here.

I walked under the power lines to my house, I walked over the buried power lines leading to my garage. I walked over the water line to my house, the sewer outfeed to my septic and the line feeding my septic D box. I knelt over the buried line to my flagpole light. I even took them to the mailbox and walked under the power line at the street. The only time the magic coathanger moved was when I moved it. Apparently, I just don't have the aura.

If there are any believers here can you tell me how it's supposed to work?

Last edited by Wayne Mitchell; 09-04-12 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 01:01 PM
You can easily try to "witch" for any buried lines, though I doubt they would have left them buried without pouring a collection box for the sump, we will never know...
Witching works, I have used it many times; successfully each time. So my experience prove it works for me, does yours? Have you ever tried it; to disprove it- or are you just making this up as you go through life... others have tried it successfully, of course without personally trying it, you have no value to back your belief- though you are certainly entitled to your opinion based on ?: witching for buried lines - Google Search Lots of reading, enjoy, LOL.

Originally Posted by chandler
Gary, I thought that was crud until I tried it. Now I am convinced it works. I had to do it on a job last week to trace a supply line from the meter to a house. It worked flawlessly. Light resting on the hand and a slight tilt forward and it will center over the water lines every time. Thanks for sharing that, as I know if I had done it I would have been laughed off the forum.
Chandler; I agree, ignorant people laugh when they are unable to process or accept new ideas sometime. It is simply beyond what they have heard before on the matter, so it doesn't compute or have any substance, their loss.

Gary

Last edited by Nashkat1; 09-04-12 at 03:17 PM. Reason: clarify quote
Old 09-04-12, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
It works, you just have to hold them right. I use them at times when the batteries go dead on my underground detector. An old timer showed me. A lot of people do not believe it works.

Some guys are better then others. Its like golf, you have to practice.

Dowsing Rods - the tools of the geomancer - for Inside and Outside Your Home

Old 09-04-12, 01:40 PM
Mike if you indeed have this ability I suggest that you contact the James Randi Educational Foundation. As far as I know he still offers one million dollars in cash to anyone who can prove they have dowsing abilities.

LINK

Old 09-04-12, 01:53 PM
Wayne, dowsing is baloney. If it were real, they wouldn't have exepensive equipment to find buried cables and pipes which are only accurate to within 3 feet.

Old 09-04-12, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Mike if you indeed have this ability I suggest that you contact the James Randi Educational Foundation.

I am going to sign up... It will be an easy Million. Ahh, I could finally retire....

Old 09-04-12, 03:25 PM
I posted in that thread, too. It works. I first thought what a bunch of hooey. I have used it twice on jobs and it is dead accurate. I don't know how it works. I use metal coat hangers with all the kinks cut off it and bent a 90 degrees with both ends about 10" long. I don't know what the recommended parameters are. Hold them in your hand and let it rest over your index finger and only keep enough skin friction to keep them from falling out of your hands. Have them cantered slightly forward and begin walking. The coathanger pieces will point to each other when you walk over a water line.
I don't use this in place of 811, mind you, as I have a fair idea of where the lines are supposed to be, within 20' or so.
I watched the video, and that's exactly how it works. I can look up to find overhead lines, thankyouverymuch, but supply water it works great on.

Old 09-05-12, 07:18 AM
Larry, Maybe you and Mike can split the million.

I Googled debunking dowsing and look what I found -

Dowsing suppression (Debunking )
[back] Dowsing [back] Pseudo-Skeptics PsyOp Debunking

[Dowsing is one of the abilities/skills that have to be discredited by the Elite as the don't want it's power to be generally known and available. Essentially a skilled dowser taps into Universal Knowledge. Ask any question and you get an answer, it's correctness depending on your dowsing ability. For one thing it is a bit too close to God Knowledge, and would help destroy the religion of Atheism. This is one of the jobs of the Pseudo-Skeptics such as Richard Saunders: Water Divining Test. Anyone, especially someone with psychic ability can interfere with the dowsing ability, and this looks to be Randi's method. All mineral and oil companies use dowsers. Rest assured the Elite have an army of dowsers, just like they have an army of psychics, while they rubbish those sort of abilities, eg Telepathy Remote Viewing (RV) Psychic quotes Supermen. Radionics relies on dowsing (banned in the USA). The other main reason dowsing is suppressed is because it would reveal Earth Energies as a power source of the Elite they want to keep to themselves, as well expose the effect Earth Radiation has on causing diseases such as cancer (Bachler). Millions must die every year from cancer due to its suppression.]

Visit the Skeptic's Dictionary for a differing opinion.

Most dowsers do not consider it important to doubt their dowsing powers or to wonder if they are self-deceived. They never consider doing a controlled scientific test of their powers. They think that the fact that they have been successful over the years at dowsing is proof enough. When dowsers are scientifically tested and fail, they generally react with genuine surprise. Typical is what happened when James Randi tested some dowsers using a protocol they all agreed upon. If they could locate water in underground pipes at an 80% success rate they would get $10,000 (now the prize is over $1,000,000). All the dowsers failed the test, though each claimed to be highly successful in finding water using a variety of non-scientific instruments, including a pendulum. Says Randi, "the sad fact is that dowsers are no better at finding water than anyone else. Drill a well almost anywhere in an area where water is geologically possible, and you will find it."

Old 09-05-12, 04:05 PM
WOW! I didn't realize the oil companies were using dowsers to generate those 3D maps of oil deposits underground!

Old 09-05-12, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Larry, Maybe you and Mike can split the million.
Only if Larry can out dowse me..... I am going to practice tomorrow.

Old 09-06-12, 03:18 PM
In my mind "dousing" is an attempt to find a water source such as a spring or well. I have my doubts that it is scientific. Using the wires helps to find a lateral run of water or pipe underground, and it works.
Mike, what time???? I'll be doing it at about 0830. Customer had a patio with a firepit built and left the hydrant stuck up....duh. Said he thought it would be too much trouble to move. Of course we caught it as the concrete was being cured and before rocks were installed. Can't trace it visually, so I'll use the coathangers and find a place off the patio for a new hydrant. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 09-06-12, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
My father was a gas utility field supervisor in charge of repair crews.
There were many times in older areas when the exact location of a gas line could not be determined and he would use metal divining rods to pick a location to begin exploratory digging.
His success rate was high enough over random selection that other supervisors would ask him to come "witch" a spot to begin digging.

Old 09-06-12, 04:04 PM
GBR - I'm not laughing and I'm not ignorant and dowsing isn't new, it's been around for centuries. I simply asked for someone to explain the scientific principaL. I looked around the internet and this was the most cogent explanation I could find -

"Essentially a skilled dowser taps into Universal Knowledge. Ask any question and you get an answer, it's correctness depending on your dowsing ability. For one thing it is a bit too close to God Knowledge, and would help destroy the religion of Atheism." "All mineral and oil companies use dowsers. Rest assured the Elite have an army of dowsers, just like they have an army of psychics, while they rubbish those sort of abilities, eg Telepathy Remote Viewing (RV) Psychic quotes Supermen. Radionics relies on dowsing (banned in the USA). The other main reason dowsing is suppressed is because it would reveal Earth Energies as a power source of the Elite they want to keep to themselves, as well expose the effect Earth Radiation has on causing diseases such as cancer (Bachler). Millions must die every year from cancer due to its suppression.]"

Apparently you couldn't come up with any scientific reasoning to support dowsing so I'll provide it. It is in the science of mathematics. It's called random chance - as in even a blind pig finds an acorn occasionally.

BTW - If you have used dowsing "successfully each time" you can probably win the $1,000,000 prize offered by James Randi. I think his criteria is only 80% accuracy. No rush though, the money has been offered for many years and no dowser has been able to claim it.

Old 09-06-12, 04:44 PM
Seriously. How can you guys think this works? If divining rods could find water why don't they always spin around and point at the person how is holding them? Why don't they spin up and point to the clouds in the sky or the pond down the road? Water is everywhere. If they did work, they would be useless to find what you were looking for because they would point to all the other locations of water.

Old 09-06-12, 04:51 PM
Droo, I don't think it is finding "water" per se, but a continuous line of water, metal, etc. Like I said, I am not locating springs or wells, but water lines. I have had a better success rate than the guys with the sophisticated electronic thingys. I've posted this before, but here's to their electronics

Old 09-07-12, 08:28 AM
I wonder if any municipalities consider dowsing an approved method for locating underground utility lines?

I found this in a Wikipedia entry on dowsing -

"A 1948 study tested 58 dowsers' ability to detect water. None of them were more reliable than chance.[15] A 1979 review examined many controlled studies of dowsing for water, and found that none of them showed better than chance results.[5]

More recently a study[16] was undertaken in Kassel, Germany, under the direction of the Gesellschaft zur Wissenschaftlichen Untersuchung von Parawissenschaften (GWUP) [Society for the Scientific Investigation of the Parasciences]. The three-day test of some 30 dowsers involved plastic pipes through which water flow could be controlled and directed. The pipes were buried 50 centimeters under a level field, the position of each marked on the surface with a colored strip. The dowsers had to tell whether water was running through each pipe. All the dowsers signed a statement agreeing this was a fair test of their abilities and that they expected a 100 percent success rate, however the results were no better than chance."

Fir the guys that are believers, Google "confirmation bias" and "ideomotor effect." I also suggest that you visit the James Randi Educational Foundation Library page for some more dowsing information.

Old 09-07-12, 02:05 PM
Hydrant was in middle of patio (duh). Couldn't tell which way it went. Used my coathangers and missed it by 2"