Neighbor and his BB gun

Old 09-10-12, 11:50 AM
Neighbor and his BB gun

My neighbor uses his BB gun to shoot squirrels that are invading his backyard. I hear it all the time, and I can even hear it when my windows are closed. Due to the location, the noises from the BB gun echoes very loudly and rattles my nerves. I told him if it's possible not to do it so often and he kindly said sure. Well, it seems like it's happening more often than before. It's like he didn't like my comment about him using the BB gun and now is trying to get on my nerves more than ever. What can be done about this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-12, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
I would start by inquiring of the local law enforcement if it's legal; good starting point. If it's not illegal and he's on his own property (and not shooting out you porch light), I suspect there's not a whole lot you may be able to do.

Just a layman's opinion.

Old 09-10-12, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
First, I can't imagine a BB gun making that kind of noise. The the spring operated ones I've owned made about the same amount of noise as someone clapping their hands or a small balloon popping, if that.

I've never heard one of the more powerful pneumatic guns fired...so I can't speak to those.

That said, if you hear it...it must be happening...though I wonder if this is really a BB gun or an actual firearm like a .22, firing shorts or longs which are pretty quiet...but much louder than a BB gun.

The first thing I would have to advise...is to call your local police department and inquire if discharging ANY sort of weapon, be it a BB or pellet rifle or a crossbow is legal in your area. I'm pretty sure even here in my little town that it isn't.

Old 09-10-12, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
I have only heard of firearms restrictions but who knows in California. If the noise bothers you mention to your neighbor all the new air rifles that come with built in silencers. Some are extremely quiet.

Old 09-10-12, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
PD...believe it or not...I just confirmed with our local LE....inside city limits...discharging BB, pellet, or even paintball (except on a regulated property for the last) is illegal and you can be cited or even arrested depending on where your shot wound up. Not so in the County as long as you are doing it safely...but it all depends on your property.

Since the OP is in the Oakland area of CA, I'm sure the same restrictions will apply.

Old 09-10-12, 12:59 PM
Same in my city, no firearms, including BB and/or pellet guns. I might add that unless the neighbor has a fairly high-powered BB RIFLE and the squirrels are fairly close, he isn't going to be killing them with the BB gun.

Old 09-10-12, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Here in Philly, it's illegal to even own a BB gun.

Old 09-10-12, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Becky, how 'bout a .454 casul with an 8" barrel? Just kiddin'. Glad I'm out in the sticks.

Old 09-10-12, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
I thought you were kidding...or maybe that they couldn't be sold....till I found this...Footnotes

10-810. Weapons and Dangerous Devices
(a) No person shall sell, offer for sale at retail, or use, or possess with intent to use, any air gun, spring gun, or any implement not a firearm which forcefully impels a pellet of any kind.

So....I guess if you own one...but never intend to use it...you are ok.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 09-10-12 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In a town near me it's illegal to own/sell a BB or pellet gun - not sure why but then I don't live there anyway. I think most, probably all towns have laws against firing a weapon in the city limits and many include BB/pellet guns....... just one more reason I prefer living in the country

Old 09-10-12, 04:02 PM
Wouldn't that include pea shooters? I live in an area where BB guns are not restricted. I use a pellet gun all the time to control the squirrel population as does my neighbor. I'm trying to figure out what kind of BB gun would make enough noise to "echo very loudly." .22 shorts/rat shot maybe? He may be telling you it's a BB gun, but . . . .

In any case, suggest a Hav A Hart trap to your neighbor. He can quietly catch the squirrels in the trap and then take them to a far corner of his yard to quietly dispatch with the BB gun.

Old 09-10-12, 04:24 PM
Haha! So much for having a heart in that recommendation!

Just call the cops and tell them he is shooting squirrels. Let them figure out if it is a firearm or air rifle. Tell them it is loud enough to echo around the neighborhood.

Philly probably banned them because people were running around with them in the pockets like they were real guns. Holding others up with them to try and skirt firearm laws. Other towns probably put restrictions on them because of knuckle heads shooting other people with them. So they treat them like real guns to put the kabash on that nonsense.

Old 09-10-12, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Philly probably banned them because people were running around with them in the pockets like they were real guns.
Yeah and now they run around with real guns and assault weapons!

Old 09-10-12, 04:46 PM
And YOU can't protect yourself from them. Sad.

Old 09-10-12, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing armed robberies are a thing of the past up there?

Old 09-10-12, 07:51 PM
Larry,

I lived in Philly for a couple of years back in the early 70's. It's the only place I lived where I kept a loaded weapon on (that's on, not in) my nightstand. We lived in a not so nice area and there were lots of break ins, muggings, rapes etc. I even bought a pistol for my wife and taught her how to use it. I don't think she's touched a gun since we left.

Now we don't even lock our doors at night. Living in the country has it's plusses.

Old 09-11-12, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
We now call it "Killadelphia" ha, ha. We're up to 252 homicides as of yesterday. But I have to say, a lot of them are gang or drug related, so it really depends on where you live.
Don't ya all wish you lived here?

Old 09-11-12, 09:18 AM
Gotcha beat Shade. As of August 21, there have been 346 shooting deaths in Chicago. The overwhelming majority of them are drug and gang related.

Chicago Homicide: Record Number Of Killings Reported In A Single Day Last Weekend

I don't really live that near Chicago; I live in Indiana. But I see it on the news every morning.

Old 09-11-12, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Wow....we had 2 homicides last year. One so far this year I think. All 3 involved drugs or money owed for drugs.

Old 09-11-12, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Did you ever figure out what he is shooting?

I use 22cal CB short cartridges for my small predator control and they sound similar to a pellet gun.
Here a pellet gun that has a greater velocity than 500 fps is considered a firearm and subject to our gun laws.
The CB short that I shoot has a velocity of 750 fps but with the bullet weighing more than a pellet you wind up with a similar range as a pellet but more energy.

Maybe this is what he is shooting.
Have you seen the weapon........... maybe a picture is called for.

Old 09-11-12, 11:55 AM
I lived just north of North Philly. It was not a nice place to live. I later worked for 15 years for a company headquartered in Philadelphia and I've spent a lot of time there. As late as the mid 80's there were still enclaves of nice neighborhoods, particularly in South Philly. There were a ton of great South Philly restaurants and you could go out for dinner and never have to worry about getting mugged or having your car broken into or taking a stray bullet. Unfortunately, the last few times we were in South Philly there seemed to be a bunch of street punks on every corner.

Old 09-11-12, 04:14 PM
Reminds me of the time I was sentenced to work in Elizabeth, NJ. Holy Cow!! Comin' home never smelled better. Couldn't even get sweet tea up there, go figure.

Old 09-11-12, 04:15 PM
Y'all got nothing on detroit LOL

Old 09-11-12, 04:20 PM
Work for the airlines, and you'll wind up almost anywhere for a term. Detroit was one. Didn't lose anything there, so I don't have to go back and get it.
I DO like the way Detroit deices planes. Rather than running glycol into an adjacent river like Newark, they recycle it. Just a Detroit tidbit I couldn't resist.
I think this is approved in Philly, not sure.

Attachment 3323

Old 09-11-12, 05:29 PM
Couldn't even get sweet tea up there, go figure.
That's because we call it iced tea up here.

It's funny you bring this up. My wife was recently down in ATL and wanted unsweetened iced tea so she order "iced tea" but they kept giving her sweet tea. I guess they figured that's what she wanted because of her accent.

Old 09-11-12, 06:18 PM
Yeah, droo, you gotta ask for "unsweetened" tea down here, or you'll get the sugar shock stuff. Ever tried sweetening cold iced tea? Sugar just settles on the bottom of the glass.
In Mcd's in Elizabeth many years ago, and I asked for sweet tea. Kid behind counter started laughing at me. Only thing that saved him was the bullet proof glass between me and him. Guess it was there for a reason......must have had a bunch of people asking for sweet tea..... with guns.

Old 09-12-12, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We stopped for breakfast at a mickey d's on the way home from michigan once and I asked for biscuits and gravy...... the boy behind the counter said "we have biscuits, what kind do you want? but we don't serve gravy ???" I guess he thought gravy was only for mashed potatoes.

There used to be a hamburger joint near here that tea that was always too sweet so I'd always order half sweet and half unsweetened. Their answer was always the same, "we only have sweet or unsweetened" My reply was always 'give me half sweet and half unsweetened' I went there a couple of times a week and had to explain it to them every time

Old 09-12-12, 08:08 AM
Five Easy Pieces "I'll have whole wheat toast."

Old 09-12-12, 04:45 PM
Ever tried sweetening cold iced tea? Sugar just settles on the bottom of the glass.
I have. That's why I never order the stuff.

Old 09-13-12, 06:12 AM
Admin Emeritus

WOW! I have been following this thread from the beginning with much interest. Observation. The thread has drifted way off target......opps, topic. The original poster thus far has never even returned.

For those whom would like to know what their gun laws are state by state, links provided below. Note I intentionally left out many links. Those that where provided for advertisements by lawyers, political pages and those provided by regional and/or national gun clubs.

IMO. Can't believe everything you hear or read. Get the facts. I belong to three gun clubs. Amazing what many of the shooters say and discuss. Like parrots repeating what they read in national publications or is discussed without checking the facts....

Interested in knowing specifically what gun laws pertain in your state can be found on one or more of the pages in the links below. In general, a gun or weapon can be described as a device that fires or shoots a projectile.

In my state, county and city anything and everything able to fire, shoot or propel a projectile is illegal within city and county limits. Included is private property or open areas anywhere. What's yours? Use links below to find out.

State By State Gun Laws:

gunlaws.com - State by State Firearms Laws

Handgunlaw.us

Gun laws in the United States (by state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gun Laws by State

ATF Online - Publications - Firearms

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

FEDERAL FIREARMS LAWS

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-5.pdf

Exceptions to the above:

You can FIRE off a snail mail or email letter in protest.

You can FIRE a contractor you hired or an employee that works for you....

You can SHOOT off your mouth before your brain is fully in gear. Not advisable with your employer! Nor any representative of law enforcement.....HA HA.....

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 09-13-12 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 02:56 PM
We have one town north of Atlanta that requires all residents to own and keep an operational firearm in their house. Sort of a protest to Ft. Wayne, I believe. It isn't enforced to the letter, but the crime rate is about less than zero. Who wants to burgle a house where there is a 99% chance the owner is armed???