Another example of stupid?

Old 09-14-12, 04:40 AM
Another example of stupid?

Spider halts $15 million construction project - indefinitely. LINK

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-12, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We've got to protect the spiders, what would happen if we lost one more species of spiders

Old 09-14-12, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, that made the papers here, too. Just rolled my eyes.

Old 09-14-12, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We had a large bridge project held up because some "group" said it was endangering the Bog turtle population. Bridge was 2 years late. There is a sign erected at the entrance of the bridge that says "No Bog Turtles Found". So what's up with a wet spot on the bottom of my shoe??? I think it beckons a call to Orkin. Then no spider problems. Build your road!!
Core out the entire "habitat" and move it to another location. Sometimes we put "stupid" in front of people's needs.

Old 09-14-12, 04:45 PM
I know of a highway project here in NJ that was put on hold for like 2 decades because of a so called rare turtle. I think they eventually figured out it was rare and actually another species. Then they finished the highway.

Old 09-15-12, 01:26 PM
From MySA (San Antonio's homepage), seems like the little feller is no more

"After the spider was collected in a bottle, it was dissected for it to be identified, Krejca said. Collecting and killing an endangered species is allowed for that purpose if done by someone with a federal permit. No other spiders have been spotted in the hole where the one was found."

So do they start the project up again???? How difficult are these federal permits to obtain??

Old 09-15-12, 02:22 PM
BAHAHAHHA!!! That's hilarious! "Hey! I think I found a really rare bug! I don't know any others that exist. We will have to cut it up to prove it, though!"

Old 09-15-12, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
The only reason for them to dissect or "cut up" that spider is to collect DNA for identification purposes.
Not sure how accurate the info on the spiders fate is but but keeping alive and rearing or photographing and preserving in alcohol are other possibilities.

Old 09-15-12, 04:00 PM
Greg, the last one to be known in existence was in 1986, and I'll just bet they didn't get any DNA from it before it's demise. So a comparison may not be possible. Sure they will have one set for future use, but what if this was the last one? This is the premise of the work stoppage, IMO.
Oh, Here's the link Tiny spider is a big roadblock - San Antonio Express-News