Can anybody guess what this is?

Old 09-27-12, 07:22 AM
Can anybody guess what this is?

Was found while taking a walk. It is about 3 inches high and aluminum. It appears to at some point have had wire or cable in it perpendicular to the teeth, as there is some corrosion by them. It's obviously used to grip something but I have no clue what it is and it's driving me nuts. It's like an object on This Old House

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-12, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
It's certainly an aluminum extrusion of some type. Extrusions are very common in industry and there are many thousands of proprietary profiles. So, you might never really know what that thing is for.

It could be a corner piece or a sign holder for a sales display. It looks like the grippy teeth could accept a foam core or cardboard piece.

Old 09-27-12, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
I'm guessing a standoff for tensioned wires or something like barbed wire fencing?? Where did you find it? What's around that area?

Old 09-27-12, 10:14 AM
Just a regular kind of commercial area with some stores, nothing crazy around. A co-worker found it, but no strange industrial stuff going on.

Old 09-27-12, 01:50 PM
Just a guess but I think maybe it might have come off of a screen door. Used to be the old screen doors many years ago had fancy scroll work on the door. Even the cheaper ones that bent easily if you banged into them had some scroll work on them and the higher quality screen doors made with thicker and stronger aluminum had even fancier scroll work. Not anything like today's screen doors that are made much quicker and sometimes not even made in the United States.

Old 09-27-12, 05:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm with Hedge. It is obviously a cut off extrusion, and the jagged parts is what held a rubber sweep in 4 places. Possibly from a commercial freezer or cooler. Just a WAG.

Old 09-27-12, 06:16 PM
I'll have to remember to look when I'm out driving around, but I think it could be one of those things that holds 4 electric wires apart when they run between utility poles.

Old 09-28-12, 08:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
My guess. Warning Flag holder. Possibly used by road crews to hold warning flag(s) advising motorists to be aware of road work and road workers ahead. Or some road way condition that needs extra attention, Icy or slippery roads, black ice, pot holds, construction crews, danger, detour ahead etc.

Highly doubt any non insulated electrical or conductive type metal object would be used to hold any wire(s) used to carry or transport electrical current, since there are teeth on it.....

Old 09-28-12, 11:07 AM
holds 4 electric wires apart
Too close together if it is only 3" tall.

Possibly used by road crews to hold warning flag(s)
Again, at 3" only for model train sets.

Old 09-28-12, 04:35 PM
Since we're guessing - I think it's a cable spreader. Mechanical not electrical.

Old 09-28-12, 05:46 PM
Man this is great, I want to send this thing to This Old House.

The fact it looks like a man is what makes it awesome. I promise I didn't just create it for a joke

Old 09-29-12, 03:54 AM
The fact it looks like a man
More like a straightened out Kokopelli who lost his flute.

Old 09-29-12, 08:55 AM
I had to google that. Well done

Old 09-30-12, 01:01 PM
Guess I should have posted an example. But in reality, I think he found his flute, after someone got tired of him playing it, they placed it in an appropriate place