Tool Returns

Old 09-28-12, 07:22 AM
Question Tool Returns

At HD, I have successfully gotten free replacements for any and every Klein tool that ever failed and, more than once, for my Greenlee Nail-Eater bits.

It's no skin off HD's nose to honor a warranty provided by a manufacturer. On the contrary, it's a no-cost way for them to boost customer satisfaction and loyalty. I just try to emphasize how disappointed I am that this tool or other product, which I love, and which I really need for my work, failed.

The one Klein tool I remember being a little surprised about was a pair of strippers that was snapped in half. When I missed them on the job, I just assumed I'd left them in the Jeep. Walking out that evening, I spotted them lying in the 3" gravel "drive," where they'd been run over by one of the delivery trucks. I think the concrete guys had some pours going on that day. I picked them up, saw the damage, and swung by HD on the way home. I was prepared to buy a replacement pair, because they had not been broken in use, but the associate wouldn't hear of it. I walked back into the job the next morning with my new, no-cost strippers and my other tools riding in the new bag I'd spent my money on instead.

I'll be very surprised if they don't replace that breaker.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-12, 05:28 PM
I seriously doubt that HD/Lowes would honor that
You may have to point the lifetime warranty out to them and it is right there in Home Depot's specifications of the product. I'd give it a shot, what have you got to lose?

Old 09-28-12, 06:05 PM
At HD, I have successfully gotten free replacements for any and every Klein tool that ever failed and, more than once, for my Greenlee Nail-Eater bits.
I never thought I could return those bits. I must've destroyed about ten this summer!

Old 09-28-12, 08:28 PM
I never thought I could return those bits. I must've destroyed about ten this summer!
Wow, dude. Those aren't cheap tools! Do you still have any of the destroyed ones? 'Cause you can still get them replaced.

Here's the trick I've learned that seems to help the process flow more smoothly (and this applies to any item, including the OP's breaker): Stop at the "Returns & Exchanges" desk on your way in and get a "Paid For" sticker put on the item. Then carry that with you to the section where the item is stocked and find the associate who is working that section. If you can't find that person anywhere, go to Customer Service and have them paged.

Once you connect with the electrical (or plumbing, or tools, or whatever) associate, show them your stickered item and ask to have it replaced under the manufacturer's warranty. Take both the failed item and the new one back to the R & E desk and give them the old one in exchange for the new one. Wait for the piece of paper.

If you can't locate the associate but you can find the same item, just go to the R & E desk with both. It isn't necessary to connect with the associate, but management likes it if you do, because they'd like to have that person's verification that the item failed under warranted conditions. But they'll likely make the exchange anyway, since they value your satisfaction as a customer over picky details.

Old 09-29-12, 07:43 AM
I never thought about a specific procedure to return something at a big box. It just seems like most professionals would return the warranted item to the supply house where it was purchased.

Old 09-29-12, 09:10 AM
It just seems like most professionals would return the warranted item to the supply house where it was purchased.
I do, if that's where I purchased it. I often buy my tools at the big box, though, for both price and convenience, plus avoiding the hassle of paying directly for something delivered as part of a job site order. We set up a system at the company where I worked the longest to allow employees to order tools on the company account and repay the cost by having a piece of it withheld from our next few paychecks. That was/is nice, but not a lot of companies are prepared or willing to do that.

Back to price, though. I've found that the tools are almost always less expensive at the big box, and sometimes much less. When I bought my Greenlee hole saw set I asked a couple of supply houses for a price. I bought it at big box for 70 or 80 dollars less than the lowest supply house price. When I told one of the countermen at a major supply house what I'd paid for it, he asked me to pick up three more sets for them, because I'd less than their wholesale price! I left him with a suggestion to go pick them up himself, because I was moving to different site and I didn't want to get in the middle of their game anyway, but that illustrates my point about savings, I think.

Old 09-29-12, 10:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's nice to be in a small town, where all the HD employees know you by name and greet you in the morning.....every morning it seems. I have never had a problem returning things that either are broke or just don't work like I want them to. I bought a flooring nailer/stapler the other day to replace a failed one in the middle of a job. Couldn't shop around and definitely didn't want to pop for a Bostitch. So the new one worked fine for an hour or so, then the staples started getting hung up. Pro desk jockey friend told me to bring it back and exchange it. I opted to switch to "L" nails and it worked flawlessly through out the rest of the job.

When I check out, if I don't have $100 on a daily basis, the lady at the checkout notices and asks what else can they get me to make up the difference .....and that's every day, so spending $20k a year there gets attention.

Old 09-29-12, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Worked two years for Home Depot and there was a lot I knew I didn't know but asking an assistant manager usually meant being referred to another employee who gave you either such a quick and un-understandable answer you just gave up or more likely the employee saying just tell them we don't do that. Ladies at the service desk were for the most part the most knowledgeable and worst to ask. They would chew you out for not knowing and say they didn't have time.

It didn't help that the software we used had no GUI. About as close to DOS as windows gets after WIn 3.1. No mouse no lower case letters and glitches in the programming you had to know how to work around to get it done. Example there was no way to sell a garage door opener with an install. Instead you sold them a garage door install with opener and put the number of garage doors at 0. In one program a glitch created a lock file half way through. You had to back out to clear the lock file and then continue. (not so much as a glitch as an operating system incapable of multitasking running a program designed to do two things at once.)

Most of what I do know I only learned after going to HR and saying I wanted to transfer out of my department because I didn't have the training I needed. As I was the only employee in the department the HR tried to send me to the corporate training program only to find the program had been killed. Finally got a corporate trainer to come in and he in the limited time he had helped a lot.

So where was my department head? <lol> Didn't even know I had one for the first six months I worked there. Finally found out by accident I had one. He worked in paint though, had never worked in Milworks, and knew nothing about the software or how to use it.

Old 09-29-12, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Ray...want to exchange experiences about HD? Mine not as bad as yours.....but close. PM only...k?

Where did this thread start? Seems like it was a reply to a question?

Old 09-29-12, 03:27 PM
I too am a bit confused about this thread. Did it get dropped here while leaving some posts behind?

Old 09-29-12, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, I the all powerful moderator dropped it here from the tail end of a post that started in Electrical. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...eceptacle.html

Old 09-30-12, 12:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Excellent!

A new title on a specific subject.
Tool Returns....

Thanks "I the all powerful moderator" Ray.... you dropped it here.

Thought I heard a post being split and then going BANG...HA HA....

Correct method to use when a thread on a specific subject gets....

Clears up the confusion (????)

I didn't know that BIG Box store even took back tool returns. Nor the correct method to use. Customer service counter/returns desk personnel never mentioned a correct method.

All they did for me was provide a credit, if charged to a card or refund cash, if paid for in cash. Learned something new... And had you not split the thread into a new subject, (Tool Returns) doubt myself or maybe someone else would have never seen it either.

The importance of correct titles and staying on subject.

Thanks

Old 09-30-12, 12:34 PM
Good topic!
I have been a hawk on warranties for a long time and as Nashkat1 said, paying attention to the process really helps. In my state (Maine) we have extended implied warranties so that when/if they balk and it is within 4 years, I can play that card. Between mfgs offering long warranties and the extended implied warranties I have returned many tools and other items and received a replacement or refund as appropriate.

One purchase caution is that returned items are often simply put back on the shelves without being repaired, many examples. So avoid any box that has been re-taped or opened for any reason. I have seen the first half dozen boxes on display all being previously opened boxes. I dig until I find a factory sealed one. Or, get them to mark your slip as "previously opened box" and then you can claim almost anything that turns up wrong.

Oh! and save the original box when possible as they it makes it easier for them to resell and thus easier for them to give you an exchange.

Bud

Old 09-30-12, 08:05 PM
When I check out, if I don't have $100 on a daily basis, the lady at the checkout notices and asks what else can they get me to make up the difference .....and that's every day, so spending $20k a year there gets attention.
It probably helps that that was my habit for a number of years. I still get that level of attention at my "local" HD, even though I don't do that now.

But I also think it helps that my local HD seems to be far ahead of most. Many of the associates there are professionals in the field they're selling the tools and materials for. I had this confirmed when a GC we were subbing with on KFC remodels took on the one in my town. Their carpenters always picked up their stock materials from the nearest HD, and would often come back grumbling about the stock and the "service." I'd been telling them "mine" was different. When they got back from that run, they not only said I was right about that, they actually stayed happy all the way to quitting time that day!

They said they not only got what they needed in record time and with good quality, but they got a knowledgeable and willing associate who asked intelligent questions, picked stuff off the upper racks when they didn't see exactly what the wanted within reach, made any needed cuts right on the mark, made a couple of useful suggestions, etc.

Search this Thread