Annoying Advertising Phone Calls & National Do Not Call List

Old 10-01-12, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thumbs down Annoying Advertising Phone Calls & National Do Not Call List

At least once a week I get a call about my credit cards. The caller [computer] states that while there isn't any issue with my card at the present time I need to act fast if I want to lower my interest rate as this is my final notice.

If the 'caller' knew who I was, they wouldn't even call. I haven't paid interest on a CC in a long long time. I have no idea what the interest rates on my cards are.... and don't care. If I ever get to a point where I can't pay off the balance when the bill comes - I'll quit using the cards.

I guess I should keep a log and find out just how many 'final notices' I get
Ok, my rant for the day is done

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-12, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
I've been getting calls like that constantly lately. They actually come up as "Lower Your Interest Rate" and "Credit Cards". I also get those medical calls "Arthritis" and "Diabetes".
I think we're just a number in the computer. I guess they figure they'll get at least one person that needs what they're selling. Can't imagine who.
I'm on the "Do Not Call List", yet the calls never stop.

Old 10-01-12, 04:15 PM
I have been getting these calls for over 2 years now on my buisness cell phone. I'm on the do not call list. They use "spoofed" numbers from out of state (just look up the number on your search engine) When you ask to be taken off their list, they swear, laugh at you, get snotty.Its a scam, by reading the complaints, they charge a exorbant amount to your credit card. I've tried swearing at them with every cuss word I can think of, reported them to the FCC and other agencys to no avail.I've even threatened bodily harm to them (wish I knew where they were). Anyway, the government did shut them down and levied a huge fine on them, but they just started up again. The best defence is just to not answer, the calls slowly decline...I was getting them everyday, now its just once a week.

Old 10-01-12, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
I never, ever answer. The calls seem to come in spurts. I'll just get one a week for a while, then it turns into 3 or 4 a day for 2 weeks in a row, then it calms down again. It's driving me crazy.

Old 10-01-12, 05:02 PM
I've been getting calls nonstop from one of those BS companies. So I started to block the numbers they call from. They kept using new numbers. Now they call with caller ID block. I will have to block those calls now too.

Old 10-01-12, 08:47 PM
I haven't had any advertising calls since I put my cell phone and house number on the FTC's do not call list. I have text messages though and that makes me mad because I have pre-paid wireless. I also get those annoying political calls almost year long so if they don't want to get re-elected they want some other thing. Every one of them is a recording too so no one to talk to. Most of the time I keep my cell phone off and call in from my home phone so I don't get charged units.

Old 10-02-12, 05:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I should have mentioned that my phone number was placed on the do not call list back when it first came out. I thought they passed a law that made it illegal to place a telemarketer call without the number showing up on the ID box but probably a third of the unwanted sales calls come up 'not provided' on the ID box. My prepaid cell phone also gets about 1 advertising call per month

Unless I recognize the number as a sales call or too far from the phone to easily get to the phone, I always answer it.....we have too many pesky young in's needing help with this or that

Old 10-02-12, 05:56 AM
We've been really lucky here and haven't had any of those calls in many years. Our house phone is VOIP and our cell phones are not with a carrier that has cashed in on selling our numbers.
Back when we had a normal phone line (under the wife's name before we got married), we use to get calls regularly asking for Mr. (her last name). Always had fun with those as they where regular people back then.

The "Do Not Call" lists are a catch 22. Those in the US (or Canada) generally obay it if they are legit. The out of coutry companies or fly by night ones, use it as a call list.

Old 10-02-12, 05:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
If memory serves me (I may be right here or maybe not???......) the Do Not Call list expires after a specific time period.... You then have to re activate your numbers again.

Anyone know positively more about this? Post it here...

Might be a good idea to post the number to call to get on the list here also. For those whom do not know the do not call number.

A link to the web site would be helpful also....

Old 10-02-12, 06:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The do not call list was supposed to expire after 5 yrs but it was on the news [around the 5 yr mark] that the gov't reconsidered and all phone numbers that were on the list would stay on the list, no need to re register

The do not call list does work. Prior to the list I'd average per day the sales calls I get now per month.

Old 10-02-12, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
The national Do Not Call list for home numbers never expires.

Cell phone numbers expire after 5 years, I believe.

A couple months ago, I checked to make sure I was still on the list, and yes, I was.

Here is the website to register numbers or do a check:
https://www.donotcall.gov/

Here's the FTC Q&A about it:
Q&A: The National Do Not Call Registry

Old 10-02-12, 07:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

Thanks Becky............

Knew I could count on you to help out with this.

List may not include a cell number in the never expires category or has a separate section for cell numbers but I added mine years ago and it seems to have worked. Far less calls to either hard wired home number and all family cell numbers. Guess the software cannot distinguish between the two numbers??? (???)

When the law was written, calls where mostly made person to person. Not so now. Software to generate numbers was written and sold to skirt the law. Which may be a reason why such non wanted calls continue.

Answering such a call only substantiates a random computer generated number is valid. Best not to answer an unknow number or one that has a private non displayed number. We use a method here that seems to work very well.

If a call comes in on cell phone that is displayed as private, blocked or unlisted, we do not answer. We wait for the caller, who knows in advance they have to leave a voice messages. No V/M no call back....

Home hard wired phone, number has to display caller or listen to the persons voice. Answer if known. Unknown. V/M applies....

Simple Simple and it works.

Old 10-02-12, 12:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you really think the do not call list will help, I've got this bridge for sale cheap.

I get the "Rachael" calls from Washington and Florida on a regular basis. Sometimes I press 1 and mess with the call takers, just to waste their time since they are wasting mine.

Political calls are not covered at all and we get them from about every state - or so the call I.D. says.

Old 10-02-12, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
The only ones I get are the Rachael calls. Oh...and the occasional survey calls...but those aren't repeated...so they don't bother me. My wife said to just hang up on Rachael....which I did after trying to press 3 to be removed. When they continued I talked to a person and asked the name and address of the company so I could file a claim. The response was..."You'll have to find that yourself...click".

Found my old Navy Bosuns pipe a few weeks ago, kept it near the phone in the garage just in case. Got a Rachael call yesterday...pushed 1 to be connected, as soon as it clicked to a person...I let 'em have it....WHEEEEEE....click. 15 min later another call...pushed 1..connected...WHEEEEEEEEEEEE.... click. 15 min later same thing. Nothing since. Not only is it fun for me...but I'm hoping they begin to think I have a line problem or some sort of machine that does it.

If you've never heard a Bosuns pipe up close...they can make the hair stand up on yer neck...esp when done loud and shrill....

http://www.navyband.navy.mil/Anthems...ess%20Call.MP3

Old 10-02-12, 04:37 PM
The do not call list has made a HUGE difference in reducing solicitations. I haven't gotten too many for profit calls until recently.

The list does not differentiate between different types of phones. All registered numbers do not expire. Do Not Call Registrations Permanent and Fees Telemarketers Pay to Access Registry Set

Old 10-03-12, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The Do Not Call List is a Joke. It is odd, I just sent this email out to some of my friends just to vent:

"I know all of you have your phone numbers, including cell numbers and fax machines, registered with the Do Not Call List. This Federal list was designed about 10 years ago to thwart the onslaught of dinner time calls, cold calls, etc. from marketing firms. So far nearly 300 million numbers are listed, which is a good chunk of America.

Now, all of you who like the cold calls, especially at dinnertime, raise your hands…………OK. I think this would be the same answer if asked of everyone in the nation. This brings me to a point. What is the purpose of the FCC and it’s Do Not Call list. Do you think there is a remote possibility of ANYONE wanting these calls??? Why not just dissolve the avenue of contact by these marketing firms. Yes, they would go out of business. Tough. Make it unlawful for anyone to make robocalls using a computer. Make it unlawful to call anyone to solicit anything. Americans would be happier, the FCC could redirect resources to a more important venue.

Oh, yeah, have you received ANY of the $5.6 million in fines levied against robocallers by the FCC??? I haven’t. Seems WE are the ones inconvenienced, bothered, slammed upon, and the government reaps the benefits. Gain without pain. Doesn’t make sense to me."

Old 10-03-12, 06:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

"I get the "Rachael" calls from Washington and Florida on a regular basis."
The only ones I get are the Rachael calls.
Anyone care to elaborate? What the H...xxzz??? is a Rachael call?????

Call from Rachael Ray? Chef and TV star of the series "Meals in 30 minutes or less?" WOW! I do Hope so. She can call me anytime.... Offer extended to Gida @home or traveling too!

Edited Note:

If you really think the do not call list will help, I've got this bridge for sale cheap.
If you're going to make ridicules statements like this, a ridicules reply is in order!!!!

Bridge For Sale??? WHERE? OHIO? If said bridge is not in major dis-repair, investment broker and I are interested. We'll buy it as a capitol business venture. Convert said bridge into a "TOLL" bridge. $6.00 each way per day crossing "FEE" or round trip per day crossing "FEE" $10.00. Non vehicle crossing "FEE" $4.00 each way each day...

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-03-12 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-03-12, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Tom...The Rachael calls go something like this... "Hello, this is Rachael from Credit Card Services...there is currently nothing wrong with your account, but our records indicate you may be eligible for a rate reduction of up to 8%. Please press one to speak to an associate...yada yada yada." A recording of course. If you've never gotten one you are lucky.

Old 10-03-12, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
I kind of enjoy these calls - I have a digital answering machine and I figured out several years ago when the power goes out, the outgoing greeting defaults to a digital voice saying "record message." The fun part is this is enough time to trip the computer into thinking someone answered but a short enough time that when the person gets on the line, they get dead air. I come home several nights a week to messages saying, "Hi this is ___ with ____... Hello?... Hello?...click" I find this amusing.

Old 10-03-12, 10:44 AM
I have never heard of a "Rachael" call until now.

When I moved into my present home about 12 years ago I did not get a land line as most of my calls would have been toll calls and I had superior cell reception. When I switched Internet providers from Comcast I stupidly signed up for land line telephone service. The land line wasn't active more than an hour or two before I got my first unsolicited call. I continued to get calls for the previous owner of the land line number for the two years I was locked into that contract.

Since then I have had two separate VoIP "pay as you go" (outgoing only) numbers along with my cell phone. All numbers have been listed on the "Do Not Call" site and with only ONE exception I do not get unsolicited calls. The one exception is calls from 720-259-1408 which upon doing the Google boogle shows several hits, all of which points this number to a "boiler room" operation variously attributed to Comcast, a law office and a collections agency.

I have now put that number on a "blocked calls" list with my cell phone carrier. Unfortunately, the block only lasts for 90 days unless I want to pay an additional $4.95 a month. Good thing is the free block can be renewed when it expires.

Old 10-03-12, 03:38 PM
We probably got at least a dozen calls a day before the do not call list came into existence. Right now maybe 1 or 2 that are not allowed. Not every day either. Still annoying though.

Old 10-03-12, 10:17 PM
I get a lot of calls from 'Rachael' too. But there's no way to ask her to stop calling because she's only an automated voice. It's actually about an offer to lower down credit card interest rates. But as much as it would be nice to take advantage of this deal, I don't trust her.

Old 10-05-12, 02:52 PM
Does "Rachael" always represent one specific credit card company? I receive many of those phone calls too, and it's always from Discover Card. Although I also have two Visa cards, I never receive unsolicited phone calls from them.

With the election coming up in just a month, it's become a frenzy of political robocalls calls as well as appeals from charitable organizations. I hate the charitable calls which ask if I can contribute "just $100" to them. My policy is to never pledge over the phone, as usually the telemarketing firms takes a healthy chunk of my contribution. If I want to support an organization, I do so solely through mail solitications.

Old 10-05-12, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
"Rachael" doesn't work for any CC company....it's a total scam. I don't think I've ever heard an actual CC company mentioned...it's very generic. If they specifically mention Discover...you might want to check your Discover account and change your solicitation settings.

Old 10-06-12, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've been bombarded with 'Rachael" calls this week and have noticed that most [maybe all] have a different number [area code too] show up on the ID box. There was one on the answering machine yesterday that was a little comical, I don't know if their computer voice messed up or if it was intentional but the recording sounded like a robot voice from a sci fi movie in the 60's and 70's.

I have a Discover Card and they call me about once every couple of months usually wanting me to sign up for some 'free' service that I don't need or want to pay for after the trial period.

Old 10-06-12, 08:37 AM
Admin Emeritus
IMO, this isn't all that difficult to understand. When the do not call law was drawn up and signed into law, calls where made live person to person. When you got one all you had to say was "Remove Me From The List or Your Call List.

Once you requested to be removed live with a solicitor on the other end of the call your request was to be acted upon. Failure to do so, if many complaints where made and or you filed one, penalties for such a failure to be removed could be implemented. Providing documented proof was provided and or supplied with a complaint.

To skirt this law, companies, advertisers etc used RoBo calling. You got on the call list very likely as a result of not opting out when you got a disclosure letter. Usually sent out by banks, financial companies and/or major retailers and the like or such.

Failure to fill out the form simply implied acceptance and your personal info and phone number was sold. Software then may have spider-ed for it or it was manually added and you get so called Rachael calls or RoBo calls.

Hard to request a removal from an automated computer generated Rachael or RoBo call. Presto! They got 'ya. Recent TV news story and fair warning, some social media web sites will be doing likewise. Selling contact info and web surfing you have done (Tracking) and some also soon to be charging some FEE'S to generate sales.

Social web sites have low results for advertisers. Therefore, to generate sales a method of getting clicks to sponsors and or advertisers, has to be in place. Your surfing and contact info will be sold...YIKES! Read any web sites policies on such matters until a LAW is passed preventing or offering an opt out choice.

However, such will not stop them all. They (through their attorneys) will find a way to skirt any and or every law. ......Fair warning: Somebody will find a way to contact you, like it or not........

My Two Cents.....

Old 10-07-12, 01:31 AM
I know where you're coming from. I have the same sentiment, too. We have a law against unsolicited telemarketing calls but these violators always find a way to work around it. And I'm just so tired of getting the same calls again and again. And this Rachel??? She's the worst. Leaves no option to get removed from their list. And if I don't pick, she'd call a few minutes later. I wonder how they do that.

Old 10-07-12, 01:35 AM
I've always thought about filing a complaint against these nuisance callers. I just don't know how. I have information about them, got them all reported to Report Phone Number to CallerCenter.com. I did it not only to raise my concerns against them but more so to keep a record of the caller's information. That way, I can always get back to it if necessary.

Old 10-07-12, 04:45 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hello: Michael

I agree. Those RoBo calls can and must be annoying as H-ell! And very little can be done since there is no person to speak to and request being removed from the calling list. Your methods are a help. But you're on the right tract, so do not get deterred.

Another method might help too. Call your local and state elected representatives and complain!!! Enough residents doing so helps to fill the complaint files and hopefully draw attention to the matter. Hopefully.

Years back son bought some device that installs between hard wired phone wall jack and phone. Suppose to filter out such automated calls. Wife and son swear it works. I have my doubts. I never use that hard wired phone anyway. So I cannot verify it works as intended. Suspect it might but at times some RoBo calls from local businesses get through. Usually a live voice or recorded voice, etc. Rarely a RoBo calls per family members.

My Business hard wired phone is separate and never gets those types of calls......
Reason why I had no idea what a Rachael call even was....

BTW: For those registered on a social web site with a phone number listed and or address listed for contact purposes, get ready for more RoBo calls and lot's of advertisers/solicitors and snail mail solicitations. Your info can be and will be sold to help generate sales. You cannot hide either. Your IP address and home address can also be sold by your internet provider! Unless you can opt out, if that is offered and/or provided by the ISP!!!

End. My Two Cents.

Old 10-07-12, 04:58 AM
I've always thought about filing a complaint against these nuisance callers. I just don't know how.
www.donotcall.gov

more. characters.

Old 10-07-12, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
Already included that link in post #11

Old 10-07-12, 10:25 AM
Becky, you gonna leave post #28 as is? Looks like quite a bit of advertising, when the .gov site will do it easier.

Old 10-07-12, 11:30 AM
Annoying phone calls

You may have to reregister your number on the do not call list again. I think it is every 30 days, anyway. Also, never answer the phone...let your machine pick it up. Once you answer your phone, they will keep calling.

Old 10-07-12, 12:09 PM
Your number does not expire from the do not call list.

Not answering the phone doesn't help.

Old 10-08-12, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not answering the phone doesn't help
So true
Rachael sometimes leaves multiple messages a day on my answering machine

Old 10-19-12, 05:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
get $50k and become a national hero

Saw this article in the paper today; AP News | TriCities.com

Old 10-19-12, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
My best tow buddy mentioned that when I stopped in to drink his coffee this morning. They probably should have made it $5 million; I would even contribute to a fund. Worst offender starts with a "G" [and their many affiliates]. Anyone who owns a business knows who I'm talking about. Not that it will ever do any good, but I've at least started reporting every one I get on that gov website.

Old 10-20-12, 05:22 AM
$50,000 is chump change!! There are 270,000,000 phones subscribed to the DNC list via the FTC. Everyone chip in $1 and I'll have an answer by tomorrow noon.
Anyway, why should some poor nerd do the job of the FTC for such low recompense? The director of the FTC (who makes more than $50K) should just do his/her job and direct that it be DONE. Remember the movie 10 Commandments...Yul Brenner??? Pow!
They have the technology to stop it. They are just blowing smoke to take the pressure off. Your elected officials are less inclined to help because Robocalls is where they try and get votes. But I guess with term limits they won't need as many.........oops, getting political, sorry.

Old 10-20-12, 11:55 AM
Remember the movie 10 Commandments...Yul Brenner??? Pow!
"So let it be written, so let it be DONE!"

Chandler, I agree completely with what you wrote. I would start first with making the fine for non-compliance something like $500,000 minimum on the first conviction. Increase it by a factor of ten ($5 million for the second offense) for each subsequent offense and you won't have to catch too many before the word gets out. Even then, the technology for finding these robo-callers shouldn't be that difficult.

Old 10-20-12, 03:49 PM
Look, we have satellites up there that can take a legible picture of a nickel on a manhole cover in downtown Manhattan, but we can't get a clear picture of a bank robber at 30 feet??? Likewise, in the computer age, there is too much technology available for the FTC NOT to be able to track down these abusers. Next attack would be to fine the phone companies for selling multiple phone numbers to companies who use them fictitiously. Phone companies don't care....it's revenue to them.